Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Have you ever been a soldier with PTSD? If not, please refrain from commenting....(just following your flawed argument.)
LOL Ok. Obviously you are choosing to ignore the rest of that paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 07:41 AM

117 posts, read 106,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I know how to diaper a baby, I know how to breastfeed. I know how to deliver a child vaginally, I know what abortion feels like, I know what miscarriage feels like, I know what it feels like to be pregnant, I know what it feels like to -not- be pregnant. I know the heartache of women who would give their left leg to be a mother, but are unable. I don't have to BE a mother, to know any of these things.

I don't know if I'm reading this right. So you say you don't have kids and you have never been pregnant right?
Then how in the world can you possibly claim to know what miscarriage feels like and what abortion feels like unless you have LIVED through one of these experiences yourself? Your statement about knowing what a miscarriage feels like is incredibly insensitive to all the women who have ever lost a baby. You cannot and will never know how a miscarriage "feels". You can IMAGINE what it might feel like but you will never know.
How can you possibly even claim to understand the heartache of an infertile woman. Really?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classygirl View Post
I don't know if I'm reading this right. So you say you don't have kids and you have never been pregnant right?
Then how in the world can you possibly claim to know what miscarriage feels like and what abortion feels like unless you have LIVED through one of these experiences yourself? Your statement about knowing what a miscarriage feels like is incredibly insensitive to all the women who have ever lost a baby. You cannot and will never know how a miscarriage "feels". You can IMAGINE what it might feel like but you will never know.
How can you possibly even claim to understand the heartache of an infertile woman. Really?
I think you might want to read Anon's words a little more closely.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Yeah that was out of left field. Where in the world did you get the impression that I hadn't ever experienced these things - ESPECIALLY within a section of my post, that you took time out of your busy day to bold, that specified, in very clear, concise English that I knew what it felt like?

The only claim regarding fertility I have mentioned on the entirety of City-Data, is that I have never raised any children of my own, and that I had no desire to raise any of my own, and that I intentionally chose tubal ligation as a permanent birth control method.

This does not mean I've never raised any children. It does not mean I've never been pregnant. It does not mean I've never miscarried, nor does it mean I've never had any abortions. It also doesn't mean I haven't ever helped someone else raise their children.

Rational thought and reading comprehension is kinda important, when you're involved in an internet discussion.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah that was out of left field. Where in the world did you get the impression that I hadn't ever experienced these things - ESPECIALLY within a section of my post, that you took time out of your busy day to bold, that specified, in very clear, concise English that I knew what it felt like?

The only claim regarding fertility I have mentioned on the entirety of City-Data, is that I have never raised any children of my own, and that I had no desire to raise any of my own, and that I intentionally chose tubal ligation as a permanent birth control method.

This does not mean I've never raised any children. It does not mean I've never been pregnant. It does not mean I've never miscarried, nor does it mean I've never had any abortions. It also doesn't mean I haven't ever helped someone else raise their children.

Rational thought and reading comprehension is kinda important, when you're involved in an internet discussion.

So then I assume you have breastfed, you have been pregnant, you have had an abortion,you have been infertile and you have raised other people's children. Is that correct? If you understand infertility that means you have been infertile. If you are infertile why was there a need for a tubal ligation? Tell me how that makes any sense whatsoever. You are deliberatley leaving things out of the equation and then you wonder why what you stated seems really rather odd
You keep contradicting yourself.
Did you breastfeed your own child and then give it up for adoption? Were you a wet nurse for other people's kids? None of what you are saying here about knowing what so and so feels like makes any sense whatsoever.
I cannot be the only person who is thinking this right now.
Oh and my thought processes and reading comprehension skills are excellent. Some people just choose to write in riddles

Old 05-28-2011, 01:46 PM

AnonChick is saying she knows what infertility is like, *I think*, by association with friends/loved ones. I still say she cannot know what it feels like or how it is to internalize such an issue though.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
AnonChick is saying she knows what infertility is like, *I think*, by association with friends/loved ones. I still say she cannot know what it feels like or how it is to internalize such an issue though.

That is my point. If you have not dealt with infertility you cannot know what it would be like. You can only imagine what it would be like and there is a huge difference there.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:14 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Quote:
That is my point. If you have not dealt with infertility you cannot know what it would be like. You can only imagine what it would be like and there is a huge difference there.
Man you guys kind of got off on a red herring here. The main point is, some things just take common sense to know, others need to be experienced in order to understand them.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Man you guys kind of got off on a red herring here. The main point is, some things just take common sense to know, others need to be experienced in order to understand them.

Do you even know what a red herring is?

A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue.

There is no red herring here. I'm not talking about an irrelevant topic. Sure non-parents can give parenting advice if they like. I don't have a problem with that. It's when they assume they no more than you do when they aren't the ones dealing with a toddler all day everyday for example.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Right. But you didn't read her post correctly. Go back and re-read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Pffft. I understand perfectly what AnonChick meant. Parenting is an experience that needs to be lived in order to "get it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting