Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 PM

13 posts, read 16,720 times

Advertisements

I could not imagine doing such a thing with my daughter! I want her to respect me out of love, not respect me because she fears me. I raise my voice, but to call names, and use profanity...never
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Well....frankly I wouldn't speak that way to anyone so to kids..of course not I'm not above the occasional expletive but not in that way. My words tend more toward the "oh ****" variety ... and not in the presence of children.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Would you or have you even spoken to your young child like this. If so why?
To answer your question, NO! I would never use those words on my child. It's a shame and sad to me that a question of would we speak to our children this way even has to be asked. Any mother using the words "f'ing b" to their child doesn't deserve that child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I don't even use the word "stupid" around my child. I don't know why I hate when someone calls another person stupid, but it really bothers me. I can't imagine calling DD a female dog. That doesn't even make sense. .
I don't like calling someone "stupid" or "dumb", that bothers me and makes me sad for what it's doing to the person's self esteen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
When my mom frustrates me, I threaten to throw her in an un-airconditioned nursing home and give the staff strict instructions that she must always be fully dressed in flannel with a thick blanket on her.

We live in FL by the way.
You must be young. Be careful what you say, you just might eat those words someday. I find your humor offensive being I'm living the nightmare of my mom in a nursing home. You don't know what I'd give to have her here and frustrating me.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
You must be young. Be careful what you say, you just might eat those words someday. I find your humor offensive being I'm living the nightmare of my mom in a nursing home. You don't know what I'd give to have her here and frustrating me.
I understand. It is a family joke. She is always really hot, so we say it in a teasing way. It is kind of a tension breaker in my family and it always makes everyone laugh. I am sorry if it didn't come across that way in my post.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:33 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
No I wouldn't and my sister in law is one of the examples that you wrote. My 4 year old nephew is starting to say the F word and S word.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
That is the way my mother spoke to us when we were kids. Now she doesn't remember that at all. It is hurtful to her if I ever bring it up. I forgave her years ago, and I didn't speak that way to our kids. Someone has to break the cycle.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
You know, the original post makes me feel bad because as a parent, it reminds me of all the bad things I've said and done around my kids. Yes, cussing, losing temper, irrational behavior, etc. Unfortunately, I can relate to the person in the original post, maybe not as acute, but I understand what was going through her mind.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
My parents swore around me and jokingly as a kid. Calling each other names seriously wasn't okay, though. In spite of all that, my parents did the best job they could raising me and I would say our respect for each other was more so than many other children and parents who insisted on not using profanity. I can't see myself ever using profanity out of anger around kids the way this mother was, though.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You know, the original post makes me feel bad because as a parent, it reminds me of all the bad things I've said and done around my kids. Yes, cussing, losing temper, irrational behavior, etc. Unfortunately, I can relate to the person in the original post, maybe not as acute, but I understand what was going through her mind.
I think it happens to the best of us on occasion. There have been some times when my parents were really angry and called me a name, and a few times I did the same to them. I can count both on one hand, though. We knew it wasn't okay and always apologized afterwards. The most important thing is that overall we had and still have a relationship based on love and respect.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I can see maybe getting so mad you call your child a brat, but not a Fing *****, that is taking it way to far IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting