Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I over-reacting, or is this a good punishment?
Yes, you should not punish your son for getting bad grades. 24 24.00%
Yes, some punishment is necessary, but you went overboard. 73 73.00%
No, seems appropriate to me. 3 3.00%
No, I don't think you're being strict enough! 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I gotta believe that this is some board kid trolling on here because no reasonable parent would punish in this way for failing math - the failure came because the parent wasn't stepping in sooner and getting the child the help that was needed.
Obviously the key word in your statement is "reasonable." The OP's described punishment is not reasonable; ergo, it's hard to believe the parent is reasonable. But not all of us had/have reasonable parents. And not all parents care enough about their kids (or their jobs as parents) to take an active role in parenting. (Beyond being authoritarians, that is.)

Quote:
You are going to have the kid hating you... you better watch it.
My guess is that there's a history of over-reactive, extreme punishments, etc. and that the kid is already well on the way to hatred.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Sometimes this forum scares me. I really hope this is a troll because the thought of some poor kid living with this guy makes me shutter.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Just because someone isn't very bright doesn't mean he can't go on to bigger and better things.

Spoiler

Public domain photo

Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'm sorry, that's just bizarre. If someone doesn't understand math, withholding dessert won't all of a sudden make them understand.
Agreed. This could be punishing a child for having a disability - a learning disability. Not good parenting if you ask me.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Sometimes this forum scares me. I really hope this is a troll because the thought of some poor kid living with this guy makes me shutter.
I'd hate to think what might happen if this kid had dyslexia.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
New poster + crazy attitude = troll.

I don't know how pathetic someones life has to be to troll the internet but apprently it's common.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think if you "knew he was struggling" why didn't you help him? Grounding doesn't actually "help" him learn math. Maybe a tutor?
This!

The tutor should have been hired as soon as it became apparent that your son was struggling. Now he is just further behind the learning curve and you are making him feel terrible about it. How is that conducive to learning?

Get your son the help he needs with math over the summer so that he is not even further behind next Fall. Contact your son's school for a referral or contact the local college or community college and see if you can hire a graduate student for a couple of days each week through the summer. There may be some online programs or math software he can use to help himself study as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
This is obviously a joke. On the off chance it's real, you need serious help, but I know it's just a joke.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
dude... you're kind of a jerk. just get him a tutor or send him to summer classes somewhere. call his friends' parents and see which of them did well in math, and then have that friend help him out.

If my mom had tried that with me in high school I would try to to better, but I would ignore the punishments and go on about my teenager-ly business.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWH View Post
My 15-year-old son just finished his freshman year in high school on Friday. I had known since March that he was struggling in math, so I took away his TV, computer, and video game priveleges until the end of the school year, so he would have more time to study. All year he kept whining about how math was "too hard" and making all sorts of excuses for doing poorly, like that High School was too hard for him and that he was having trouble because it was his first year of high school! I warned him to study, and I told him he'd be grounded all summer if he didn't get good grades on his final report card. He has often gotten bad grades in math, and it is a subject that he was always slacked off in and I am sick of it.

The last straw was on Friday, which was the last day of school in our district. He showed me his final report card, and I was appalled to see that he got an F in math! I told him that he was Grounded For The Entire Summer.

The terms of his grounding are:
No TV
No Computer
No Video Games
No Phone (I also took away his cell phone)
No Friends
No Desserts
No Bedroom Door (I removed it- privacy is a privilege in our household)
Plenty of Extra Chores
No Books except those I or my wife approve. I will be buying him a math text book and he will be spending 8 hours a day studying, all summer long.
He's not allowed outside of the house, except to accompany me or my wife on errands, as he's also not allowed home alone.
Whenever the rest of the family has dessert, he has to watch us eat it. Also, each evening, I make his sisters (ages 17 and 14) and his brother (age 12) tell him about all the summer fun they had that day, so he'll know what he's missing out on.
We are also going on vacation to Hawaii in July and he will not be allowed to come.

What do you think? Is this an appropriate punishment, or am I going overboard? My wife thinks I'm overreacting. She says that I'm being too hard on him and the punishment is borderline cruel. I understand it is a bit harsh, but I feel that it's time to finally put a stop to my son's slacking in math, and teach him a valuable lesson about the importance of good study habits. What do you think? Is this a good punishment, or am I going overboard? Please Help.

Thank you in advance.
This is severe. Even people doing time in jail get an hour outside the cell a day for recreation and there is no rule against socializing with other inmates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting