Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,574 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your responses. He can read some small 3 to 4 letter words, but he can't read a book yet. I read to him some nights but he interrupts after every sentence, and it's hard to even finish the book so he can go to bed! I know he's fine and I understand many kids are like this; it just so happens that he's the only one out of all his little cousins that is like this. His cousins (ages 4 to 10) are easier to manage, but I'm sure that comparing my son to them (I know I shouldn't do that) doesn't help. I love my son more than anything or anyone in the world. On the positive side of things, he's a very quick learner. He already adds simple math like 3+2=5 etc; he quickly caught on to potty training at exactly 2 years old and started wearing underwear shortly after; he can draw, and I don't mean scribble. At the age of 3 you can clearly make out what he was drawing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
My son is 5 years old and his talking and inquisitiveness at times is cute and funny, but he talks almost non-stop! He asks a million questions a day (somewhat understandable; child curiosity and all) but if I give him the correct answer he disagrees with me anyway and wants to debate about it. So I just say "ok, whatever, you're right" even if he's wrong (I'm not arguing with a child LOL) It's gotten to the point where it's invasive. He butts into adult conversations and ask "who?", "you talking to me?" and replies and repeats what we say. He's loud and can't sit still even to eat! It's hard for anyone in the house to watch TV and movies without him talking and asking questions throughout. As soon as he wakes up he says random things! It starts as soon as the day begins on until he falls asleep (which is difficult; he's a night owl and refuses naps!) He's bossy (at least with his cousin) but has a lot of friends at school and in the neighborhood. His teachers says he's very hyper, talkative, and doesn't nap sometimes but is smart and ahead of most of the class. I don't think he has ADD. Sometimes I get so frustrated in his constant talking and hyperactivity that I yell at him to shut up and sit down! This makes me feel so terrible! He's involved in football and gymnastics, and we do other activities such as going to the waterparks, movie theater etc, but it doesn't tire him enough. OH, and when he is tired, he fights his sleep! He just doesn't fall asleep like I see his cousins do. I don't know how to calm him down or teach him that he needs to be quiet at times. Any advice from someone that is, or has been in the same situation with their young children is appreciated.
There are many possibilities here. Have you had any evaluations?

Sensory Processing Disorder could be a real possibility and as someone else said, you might want to read The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz. You may also want to get an evaluation by an Occupational Therapist who has experience with this disorder if it seems like it fits.

For the sleeping, you may want to try a very low dose of melantonin about an hour before bedtime. If he is not producing enough of this naturally, it can help to use it for two to three weeks and see if it helps him fall asleep sooner. (The dosing should be about 1.5 mg or less for a child this age despite the package saying 3 mg - so 1/4 to 1/2 a pill).

As others have suggested, a library card and learning to read may help. When he asks a question or starts to argue, you can say *we can look that up* and go to the encyclopedia or a book on the subject. You can also look things up on the internet, but I would do this sparingly.

The randomness of his talking would bother me which is why I bolded that part. He may have a lot of difficulty organizing his thoughts which may be an executive dysfunction or a communication disorder despite how verbal he is. Having a good vocabulary and a good memory does not mean he may not have a problem with understanding the words or with processing them. Communication is a broad band skill and he may be operating at *dial up* speed in taking in what is being said.

Have you tried altering his diet? He may be sensitive to something in the food. Dairy is a big one for this, but it could be anything. He may have none of the classic signs of allergies, but still have sensitivities. How much milk does he drink? If he has a lot, you may want to start by eliminating dairy to see how he reacts.

As for the yelling at him to shut up, I understand your frustration. It's not a good idea, of course. Try *let's whisper.* Sometimes a game will help. With my preschool classes when they were getting too noisy, we would get each child a paper bag, and have them yell there very loudest into the bag. Then we would tie off the bag and tell them that they had to whisper very quietly until we went outside and released their loud voices.

To help him learn to calm himself, you can teach breathing techniques. With my preschoolers we would pretend to be a balloon and breathe in to expand, then breathe out to deflate. We would do that in a regular rhythm as a game. Once they learned how to do it, we could calm them by saying *balloon*. There are other breathing games you can do as well. Really, breathing is a great regulator.

Another possibility for calming is having him choose something that helps him calm down. If he likes music, have a particular calming song. If he likes fish, have him watch an aquarium. If he likes art, have him draw a picture.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I understand your frustration. I love peace and quiet too. How about trying a tape recorder? The next time he interrupts, tell him to tape whatever he needs to tell you so he doesn't forget it, and you will listen to it later. Someday you might treasure those tapes too.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. He can read some small 3 to 4 letter words, but he can't read a book yet. I read to him some nights but he interrupts after every sentence, and it's hard to even finish the book so he can go to bed! I know he's fine and I understand many kids are like this; it just so happens that he's the only one out of all his little cousins that is like this. His cousins (ages 4 to 10) are easier to manage, but I'm sure that comparing my son to them (I know I shouldn't do that) doesn't help. I love my son more than anything or anyone in the world. On the positive side of things, he's a very quick learner. He already adds simple math like 3+2=5 etc; he quickly caught on to potty training at exactly 2 years old and started wearing underwear shortly after; he can draw, and I don't mean scribble. At the age of 3 you can clearly make out what he was drawing!
My son also interrupts when I read to him. He does well in school, seems to "get" math really well, and LOVES to draw. For the sleep issues we got him a weighted blanket, and I'm going to get a white noise machine soon.

I know you feel bad comparing, but don't. When I really started to think something wasn't right was when DS5 started doing things that DS7 still couldn't. You can't help but compare, and I was told by the OT that it is very common for parents to realize something isn't right when a younger sibling catches up to an older one. Once we got the SPD dx suddenly so many things in his life made so much sense.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My kids are always on their best behavior around their aunts, uncle and grandparents. Then we come home and they let it all out. You can't really compare your son to his cousins, because who knows how they act at home?

I don't think it sounds much like your son has a problem, I think he's very intelligent and curious about everything. It can be hard keeping up with a kid that intelligent. One thing we did to keep smart kids busy was give them a notebook and tell them to copy every word they could find in the house.

Also, it helps if you tire them out physically...take him to the park, or walking or biking...I take my 5 year old on a 2 mile bike ride every other day.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
When my son was about 5 we were in the front yard and my neighbor once asked me if he ever shut up. Questions, questions, questions! LOL. He is 20 now and the answer is "no".

Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times
Quote:
My son is 5 years old and his talking and inquisitiveness at times is cute and funny, but he talks almost non-stop! He asks a million questions a day (somewhat understandable; child curiosity and all) but if I give him the correct answer he disagrees with me anyway and wants to debate about it. So I just say "ok, whatever, you're right" even if he's wrong (I'm not arguing with a child LOL) It's gotten to the point where it's invasive. He butts into adult conversations and ask "who?", "you talking to me?" and replies and repeats what we say. He's loud and can't sit still even to eat! It's hard for anyone in the house to watch TV and movies without him talking and asking questions throughout. As soon as he wakes up he says random things! It starts as soon as the day begins on until he falls asleep (which is difficult; he's a night owl and refuses naps!) He's bossy (at least with his cousin) but has a lot of friends at school and in the neighborhood. His teachers says he's very hyper, talkative, and doesn't nap sometimes but is smart and ahead of most of the class. I don't think he has ADD. Sometimes I get so frustrated in his constant talking and hyperactivity that I yell at him to shut up and sit down! This makes me feel so terrible! He's involved in football and gymnastics, and we do other activities such as going to the waterparks, movie theater etc, but it doesn't tire him enough. OH, and when he is tired, he fights his sleep! He just doesn't fall asleep like I see his cousins do. I don't know how to calm him down or teach him that he needs to be quiet at times. Any advice from someone that is, or has been in the same situation with their young children is appreciated.

LOL..my son didn't start talking to he was 4...and ever since then he can talk forever..he is 18 now. This is what I do to him....just kidding..

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 AM

368 posts, read 928,815 times
Omg, Anna, like your other post about my 4-year-old, what you said here describes my 4-year-old son EXACTLY. No sense in arguing even if he calls the fire engine blue instead of red. I start arguing with him as I would an adult, "Why ask me what color it is if you're going to argue with me?" lol! Now I just go, "Yes, ok, right." One day, he will understand that I'm "yes'ing" him and probably get annoyed.

My son also says "Excuse me" over and over again expecting to me immediately gratified by a response. And I hate to say it too but I actually hid from my children one day (DH was home) as my 4-year-old chattered and yelled and the little one laughed maniacally as they kept saying "Mama! Where's mama!" and I hid under the covers on the bed. They couldn't find me so they ran to daddy. I got 10 minutes of quiet before they found me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
My 4 year old is much like this too. She talks and talks, and questions and argues. Usually, just the "um hm, yes, ok, you're right," works, because it does take WAY too much energy to argue and try to convince them!

As far as the hyperactivity, all I can suggest is do as much physical activity with him as possible. Not movies, but something where he's actually moving, running, doing something. Then give him a strict bedtime. My DD doesn't want to fall asleep when she's supposed to either, but she has to stay in her room and in her bed. I don't care if she's just staring at the ceiling, or even a book. After a full, active day, a five year old is tired and he will fall asleep eventually, whether he wants to or not. If he's tired in the mornings, try giving him an earlier bedtime.

I had to work on her being rude and interrupting adults when they're talking as well. When I'm on the phone, she's right there. "Who are you talking to? Can I talk?" Or butting in the conversation. I told her to say "excuse me" if she must interrupt, but then she just stood there saying "excuse me? excuse me?" over and over, still interrupting. When I point blank said to her, "You're being VERY rude," she looked ashamed and a little embarrassed, and she cut it out. Now, whenever she behaves like that, just telling her that chills her out a bit.

I don't know what will work for you son, but good luck. I know they can be sweet, precious, and very aggravating at this age! Don't feel bad about losing it at times. I understand it takes an awful lot of patience to deal with a very active, inquisitive child, and they tend to use it all up. Sometimes I have to completely tune out, or leave the room. Sometimes I literally pray for just five minutes of quiet. Sometimes I cannot wait for her to go to bed, like a kid waiting for Santa! I sit and look at the clock, counting down to bedtime. I love my DD with all my heart and soul, and I love her chatter, but at times I do need a break from it.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
btw, reading didn't help with her. She just reads aloud while walking through the house and then wants to tell me all about the story when she is done.
LOL, my son did that. That's why I recommended the library card. As soon as he was done with one, I handed him another. If I'd had to have gone to Barnes and Noble we wouldn't have been able to buy food.

This is so very, very NORMAL with bright, smart, clever little kids. Yes, they drive you nuts. But with so many families battling the effects of things like autism I was always grateful I had chatterboxes who wouldn't shut the heck up!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Like others have said, find out what interests him and give him the tools and ability to explore those interests. As annoying as it can be, you don't want to squash his inquisitveness. You need to give him other ways to explore it and express it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting