Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

When my daughter was that age we would occasionally pay her to be quiet. Once we were driving around lost in San Antonio and I was with her in the back seat trying to look at a map. She was looking at it with me and basically repeating everything I said. It was funny but soooo annoying. I finally told her I'd give her a quarter if she'd be quiet til we got where we were going. I did that a few other times as well, usually in the car. It only worked ok.

She started talking and asking questions from the minute she woke up til she went to bed. Now that she's 12 though, we get long stretches of semi-surly silence. So, as others have said, try to enjoy the chatter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
When he asks a question or starts to argue, you can say *we can look that up* and go to the encyclopedia or a book on the subject. You can also look things up on the internet, but I would do this sparingly.

To help him learn to calm himself, you can teach breathing techniques. With my preschoolers we would pretend to be a balloon and breathe in to expand, then breathe out to deflate. We would do that in a regular rhythm as a game. Once they learned how to do it, we could calm them by saying *balloon*. There are other breathing games you can do as well. Really, breathing is a great regulator.
First Paragraph: This is my brother's family. (He now has grandchildren.) EVERY meal someone gets up to go look at the encyclopedia or - today - the internet to prove a point or clarify something. Like the exact height of K-2. It's a table full of intelligent people, the conversations include the little kids, and every meal is a lively discussion. Some days argument.

Second Paragraph: I wish someone had taught them all breathing techniques because, very often, my contribution to the discussion is, "Breathe people!!"

Edited to add: Just more proof to the OP that lots of kids talk too much. My brother stayed after school every single day in the first grade for talking too much. He is also gifted and accomplished. Thank goodness no one tried to stifle his motor mouth.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-09-2011 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: One more thought

Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Default Writing from the dictionary

I have this funny story to tell my oldest reminded me of this the other day.
When my son and daughter were younger..they are 22 and 20 now, I would have them write a page from the dictionary when they were misbehaving.
My son would tell his sister I'll race you..you write mine and I'll write yours and lets see who gets done faster?
Of course my son always lost.
That was just his way to get her to do his..
OMG....We laughed so hard..my daughter said she had no idea her brother was tricking her.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
My son is 5 years old and his talking and inquisitiveness at times is cute and funny, but he talks almost non-stop! He asks a million questions a day (somewhat understandable; child curiosity and all) but if I give him the correct answer he disagrees with me anyway and wants to debate about it. So I just say "ok, whatever, you're right" even if he's wrong (I'm not arguing with a child LOL)
I would have a sheet of paper or a white board: when he asks a question about let's say "seals" and you do not know the answer you have him write it down and at the end of the week, go to the library or bookstore or even your personal pc and look it up w/him. If there are too many topics, have him choose 4 that he can get a book for, etc. He has to sound out the word and write it down. At the end of the week, he may not remember what that word was and forget about it.
Quote:
It's gotten to the point where it's invasive. He butts into adult conversations and ask "who?", "you talking to me?" and replies and repeats what we say. He's loud and can't sit still even to eat! It's hard for anyone in the house to watch TV and movies without him talking and asking questions throughout.
Now you are getting to the point where he is just being rude and now is the time to nip it at the bud. When my kids started doing this, we started the raising hand rule if they had a comment or question. We still do this actually; we acknowledge the raised hand by putting our hand up like a stop sign, finish talking then address them. Sometimes, we answered or just told them, this is mommy/daddy talk and does not involve you, please go look at a book, color, etc.

Quote:
As soon as he wakes up he says random things! It starts as soon as the day begins on until he falls asleep (which is difficult; he's a night owl and refuses naps!) He's bossy (at least with his cousin) but has a lot of friends at school and in the neighborhood. His teachers says he's very hyper, talkative, and doesn't nap sometimes but is smart and ahead of most of the class. I don't think he has ADD. Sometimes I get so frustrated in his constant talking and hyperactivity that I yell at him to shut up and sit down! This makes me feel so terrible! He's involved in football and gymnastics, and we do other activities such as going to the waterparks, movie theater etc, but it doesn't tire him enough.
It sounds like he is fairly active; nice but as for the other activities, those are outings that should be earned. By earning, I mean having a behavior chart for him where if he goes to sleep on time for the next 4 days, you take him to the water park. since he doesn't read, make it fun, and have him pretend to sleep, take a digital photo of him, print it and put it on the chart and tell him what it means.
If he realizes that these fun outings depend on his behavior, it will change things. If the fun things just happen even if he misbehaves, he has not learned anything.
As for the yelling on your part; I would not do that. He learns from you and you definitely do not want him to pick up that habit or start using "shut up" on you or other people.

Quote:
OH, and when he is tired, he fights his sleep! He just doesn't fall asleep like I see his cousins do. I don't know how to calm him down or teach him that he needs to be quiet at times. Any advice from someone that is, or has been in the same situation with their young children is appreciated.
The behavior chart may help with the sleeping thing. As for quiet times, try 10 minutes a day(put a timer) where you read a book while he colors. If he has a question within that time, he is only allowed to ask after the timer goes off.
Oh, and if you are reading a book to him at night, the raising hand for questions applies but you have to finish the page before you answer him; or else it will be like you said and not finish the story, etc.

Good luck, I hope these tips help if you try them, they did for us.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:31 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,755 times
Thanks everyone. I'm really taking note of all the advice, and enjoying everyone else's kid stories I took my son to see Kung fu Panda 2 today and even though he's never seen the movie, he tries repeating everything the characters say (he does this with all programs/movies). I have to tell him "shhh. everyone else wants to hear the movie." I have noticed that he's quiet during car rides (with maybe one question like "where are we going?" He just stares out the window looking very relaxed for most of the trip.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'm really taking note of all the advice, and enjoying everyone else's kid stories I took my son to see Kung fu Panda 2 today and even though he's never seen the movie, he tries repeating everything the characters say (he does this with all programs/movies). I have to tell him "shhh. everyone else wants to hear the movie." I have noticed that he's quiet during car rides (with maybe one question like "where are we going?" He just stares out the window looking very relaxed for most of the trip.
I love him! A little actor in the making!

I'm suspecting he has a great imagination. Who knows what's going on in that little brain during car rides. Have you ever said, "Hey, buddy. What are you thinking about?" I'll bet it's something pretty cool.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I love him! A little actor in the making!

I'm suspecting he has a great imagination. Who knows what's going on in that little brain during car rides. Have you ever said, "Hey, buddy. What are you thinking about?" I'll bet it's something pretty cool.
HAHA! Yes, his grandparents say the same (that he should be an actor). Even when he's playing, he acts out a character in one of his favorite movies and cartoon shows. I've thought this, but have no idea on where to start to get him in acting, commercials etc. Sometimes I ask him questions, or try conversating in the car. He'll respond but he doesn't go on and on like he does anywhere else

Old 06-09-2011, 10:25 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
My son was very like yours at that age. The things we did that were very helpful were to increase both the physical activity, and introduce activities that required calm and concentration. For physical activity we bought a trampoline (I know the dreaded trampoline, but a lifesaver for a rambunctious lad), and lots of biking, soccer, swimming, etc. To help with down time and concentration he took karate, piano lessons, and played chess with his dad.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Even when he's playing, he acts out a character in one of his favorite movies and cartoon shows. I've thought this, but have no idea on where to start to get him in acting, commercials etc.
Personally, I'd NEVER put a child that age into acting. (I've got family in the industry and have seen too many totally screwed up child actors.) He's only 4! He doesn't need a job. I would, however, encourage his putting on little plays and shows at home. Let him act for you and his grandparents. He'll probably round up his little buddies to help and get in on the fun.

Once he's older he can decide for himself if it's something he wants to do but, IMO, four is too young to expose him to show biz. Make sure he has lots of things to make costumes with. It doesn't have to be fancy. Towels, your old shirts, funny hats. You can encourage his creativity yourself.

(If he hits 8,9,10 and he still has the acting bug, put him in regional (local) theater. If he seriously enjoys acting, it will give him a sturdy background.)

Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Personally, I'd NEVER put a child that age into acting. (I've got family in the industry and have seen too many totally screwed up child actors.) He's only 4! He doesn't need a job. I would, however, encourage his putting on little plays and shows at home. Let him act for you and his grandparents. He'll probably round up his little buddies to help and get in on the fun.

Once he's older he can decide for himself if it's something he wants to do but, IMO, four is too young to expose him to show biz. Make sure he has lots of things to make costumes with. It doesn't have to be fancy. Towels, your old shirts, funny hats. You can encourage his creativity yourself.

(If he hits 8,9,10 and he still has the acting bug, put him in regional (local) theater. If he seriously enjoys acting, it will give him a sturdy background.)
Yea this is true. I never really thought of it like that. The in home plays sound much better right now anyway LOL. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting