Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:33 PM

345 posts, read 473,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
Are you able to talk to her parents at all? perhaps they are not willing to deal with her but maybe they can talk to you. Definitely get legal counseling. If she's going to be living under your roof there will be questions about who's going to provide her needs before she starts college - health insurance, etc etc.
I imagine you've already done this...but try setting some "ground" rules for her just like you do the rest of the family. This will set her expectations while she's staying with you.

You are a good person for taking her into your home. Other people may have looked they other way and not worry about "other people's problem". Good luck and I hope she is grateful to you as well.

I have not yet spoken with her parents but will at some point. Probably soon as she has a med check and appt at the CC. I have laid some ground rules about cerfew, boys in the house, chores but probably a few more are needed. Generally she's a good kid so there haven't been any issues. I give her an ad hoc allowance at the moment so she has some money for movies and such.

I will need to discuss HI with her parents. Given they have a younger daughter keeping her on the plan will cost them absolutely nothing. But I doubt they will out of spite so I think I have one chance to convince them otherwise. I think that discussion is best done near open enrollment so, if nothing else, I can layer in some serious guilt if need be.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
She needs to file as an emancipated minor. It takes a LOT of paperwork but it can be done. Look up the information for your state and help her get the process started. Also, private schools have a lot of money to give and will probably end up being less expensive for her if she can get emancipated minor status. It would also be in her best interest to live on campus if she does because her aid will cover her room and board but if she doesn't it won't cover rent and commuting costs.

Schools don't give tuition reimbursement so the suggestion to work as an aid won't help her in the long run.

Will look into the private schools. Thanks. But she is already 18 and according to KU financial aid it is too late to be emancipated. Unless something changes with her parents, and at this point it may be in her best interest to move on, there are two years to figure out all the options. Thanks for the tip. She was on varsity this year. Maybe she can get an athletic scholarship from a more regional university.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
She needs to file as an emancipated minor. It takes a LOT of paperwork but it can be done. Look up the information for your state and help her get the process started. Also, private schools have a lot of money to give and will probably end up being less expensive for her if she can get emancipated minor status. It would also be in her best interest to live on campus if she does because her aid will cover her room and board but if she doesn't it won't cover rent and commuting costs.

Schools don't give tuition reimbursement so the suggestion to work as an aid won't help her in the long run.
That is what I was gonna suggest - filing as an emancipated minor. To my knowledge, this is the only way she can get around having to submit her parent's financial records when applying for assistance.

I know that technically, "emancipation" refers to someone under 18, but in re: to student loans, there is some legal way to establish that a person over 18 but under 21 is "emancipated" - I have read this in financial aid literature from several colleges.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
She can't get emancipated. She's not a minor. She's 18; that makes her a full-fledged legal adult. However, if she is a full-time student and her parents claim her as a dependent, then she might have to prove otherwise.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
She can't get emancipated. She's not a minor. She's 18; that makes her a full-fledged legal adult. However, if she is a full-time student and her parents claim her as a dependent, then she might have to prove otherwise.
Okay. I stated that there was some other term when someone is over 18 and not getting assistance from parents - and here it is.

A student has to be able to make a Declaration of Independence.

The Government's Strict Definitions of Dependency

You may be 18, living on your own, paying for college yourself, living with a significant other, raising a child, or just living your life as an independent person—but the government may still consider you dependent on your parents. Conversely, you may be a graduate student or a veteran—but living with and supported by your parents. The government may still consider you independent.
When it comes to financial aid eligibility, the government defines student dependency differently than it does for tax purposes. The government has seven criteria for student independence. These seven criteria are included in the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA. If you will be applying for financial aid for the 2010–2011 academic year and answer "Yes" to any of the following questions, the government considers you independent for purposes of awarding financial aid:
  1. Were you born before January 1, 1987?
  2. During the 2010–2011 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctoral program (such as an M.A., M.B.A., M.D., J.D., Ph.D., Ed.D., or graduate certificate, etc.)?
  3. As of today, are you married? (Answer "Yes" if you are separated but not divorced.)
  4. Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  5. Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you now and through June 30, 2011?
  6. Are you an orphan, or have you been (until age 18) a ward or dependent of the court?
  7. Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
I have a friend who was in this situation (parents refused to help pay for school and also refused to turn over their financial info) and she was able to file a court case for "abandonment" wh/ then allowed the Financial Aid officer to award assistance. I don't know if this is a per state situation, or per school situation, but I am just throwing that out there in case it is something the OP might discuss with his attorney.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

That's what I thought regarding emancipation.

If this goes on through the end of the year my suggestion is that 12:01 AM on 1/1/2012 she files as an individual precluding her parents ability to claim her.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
That's what I thought regarding emancipation.

If this goes on through the end of the year my suggestion is that 12:01 AM on 1/1/2012 she files as an individual precluding her parents ability to claim her.
That won't get it. What the IRS considers a dependent is not the same criteria for dependence vs. independence - for purposes of determining eligibility for financial aid.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
That is only to determine eligibility for *Federal* financial aid. As I said in a previous post, there is the PELL grant, which is a seperate thing. There's also state aid, and different schools have their own student financial aid, and even some cities/towns/villages offer financial aid. If she works for certain companies, those companies also provide financial aid (Staples is one of them, I believe Starbucks offers it to employees as well). There are also individual scholarships of hundreds and hundreds of different types, some of which this young woman -might- qualify for, but you'd have to do the research and it's all available in a single volume in the library. I don't remember what it's called.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I have a friend who was in this situation (parents refused to help pay for school and also refused to turn over their financial info) and she was able to file a court case for "abandonment" wh/ then allowed the Financial Aid officer to award assistance. I don't know if this is a per state situation, or per school situation, but I am just throwing that out there in case it is something the OP might discuss with his attorney.
Interesting idea, will do so. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That won't get it. What the IRS considers a dependent is not the same criteria for dependence vs. independence - for purposes of determining eligibility for financial aid.

I know it won't do anything about FA, but with 0 income she should get some credits that her parents would otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting