Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:33 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

You know, the zipline parents were probably thinking about future kids falling, and possible lawsuits.

One thing I have noticed, is that parents are less inclined to see potential "problem situations" than teachers. We are quick to step in and calm the pack when we see running and jumping, because we know how quick that kind of play can escalate into accidents and fights. Parents not used to supervising large packs of kids, especially ones they don't know, need to really be hyper-vigilant.

What I have noticed is that parents are not really "looking" after kids who are playing at their homes. They are around, but not actively supervising. Which is why I have always been rather reluctant on letting my kids go to other people's homes. Yes, they do go...and I let them, but I always used to worry.

Just part of growing up, we can't wrap our kids in cotton wool, and keep them home. I knew this one Mom, at our church, she homeschooled her kids, and would not even let her son come over and play basketball on the driveway with my sons. He seemed like a nice, normal kid, whose Mother was making him a wierdo. Poor kid did not even have any running shoes. He was the same age as my sons...who were always going skiing, or hiking, or hunting, this kid was barely let out of the house! I don't know what this young man is doing now...

Anyway, off track...I am glad your daughter is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 AM

645 posts, read 988,378 times
I'm confused by some of the responses to this thread.

Here's my take - all y'all have the right to parent YOUR OWN any way you wish, provided it is not criminally neglectful or abusive. However, this is about how to handle a situation when SOMEONE ELSE's kid gets injured at YOUR home. I can understand the few posters that said they would probably not call for a minor knee scrape or bump to the shin. Yeah - I get that. But we're talking about a potential head injury - not some graze to the knee. Some of you made a point about how high the zip line was. Why does this make a difference? This is NOT your kid. This is NOT your decision to make.

One poster above said that they would call if the kid appeared to be a "snowflake" or if the parent seemed "overprotective." Huh? If this happened at my home - I could care less what the disposition of the kid or parent was - I am the host and the kids are at my home and are entrusted to me. These are not my kids. I would make the call.

Listen - I'm what you would call a jock and an adrenalin junkie. I played football in school. I wrestled. I ski and snowboard. As a kid, I skated on ramps and pools. I road dirt bikes, atvs, and did bmx. My kids - well, let's say, there is no shortage of bumps, bruises, scrapes, bloody this or that. I don't think anyone who knows me would call me an "overprotective" parent or me or my kids "snowflakes." I know if this were me - I'd want the other parent to call.

As a kid, I took many a hit to my noggin. 99% of the time, I was fine. When I got my bell rung - whether it was a nice back of the head whack on concrete from 15 feet up - or if I slipped on some grass and grazed my head on the field - my coaches, teammates, buddies, any adults who were there - would take it seriously. Why? Coz anyone who knows anything about head injuries knows that things can go from perfectly fine to horribly bad in no time.

Example - Typical football practice - I (5'10", 170lbs) blocked one of my teammates (bigger - 6'2", 215lbs) during a standard running drill. I hit him with my shoulder - a glancing blow that hit his head. Something that happens 1000x. We both get up - he starts to wobble a bit and says he's dizzy. He tries to shake it off - seems okay. Couple hours later, he's off to the hospital coz he's puking and can't stand up straight. Turns out, he's got a concussion. Yeah - last thing on my mind - or anyone else's for that matter - was that this guy was a "snowflake" or not accustomed to "rough and tumble play." Another ex: Natasha Richardson. Yeah - she slipped and fell on a bunny slope. Not from any height - just sort of fell down. She got up - joked about it - and then, well - you know what happened next. As a snow sports enthusiast - I can assure you, when I read that I did not think - "Wow...what a snowflake!"

Fact is - things can happen with the head that no one can explain - so why mess around? Make the call. It takes 10 seconds. Let's not forget - this ain't YOUR kid, right?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:14 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
There was no potential head injury. If you read the initial post, the Hostess knew only that the kid slipped from the zipline, bumped her back, got up, and was fine. No bumps, bruises, redness, swelling - no bump to the head, period.

Then, we learned later on, AFTER the kid was home, safe and sound, that the child *might have* bumped her head. Even at that point, the Hostess had no actual knowledge of any such bumpage occurring. There was no knowledge of this when it happened, the kid never indicated that there was a connection between ground and skull at any time, there was no reason *that anyone knew of at the time* that any call to mom needed to be made.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post

Here's my take - all y'all have the right to parent YOUR OWN any way you wish, provided it is not criminally neglectful or abusive. However, this is about how to handle a situation when SOMEONE ELSE's kid gets injured at YOUR home. I can understand the few posters that said they would probably not call for a minor knee scrape or bump to the shin. Yeah - I get that. But we're talking about a potential head injury - not some graze to the knee. Some of you made a point about how high the zip line was. Why does this make a difference? This is NOT your kid. This is NOT your decision to make.

One poster above said that they would call if the kid appeared to be a "snowflake" or if the parent seemed "overprotective." Huh? If this happened at my home - I could care less what the disposition of the kid or parent was - I am the host and the kids are at my home and are entrusted to me. These are not my kids. I would make the call.

Listen - I'm what you would call a jock and an adrenalin junkie. I played football in school. I wrestled. I ski and snowboard. As a kid, I skated on ramps and pools. I road dirt bikes, atvs, and did bmx. My kids - well, let's say, there is no shortage of bumps, bruises, scrapes, bloody this or that. I don't think anyone who knows me would call me an "overprotective" parent or me or my kids "snowflakes." I know if this were me - I'd want the other parent to call.

As a kid, I took many a hit to my noggin. 99% of the time, I was fine. When I got my bell rung - whether it was a nice back of the head whack on concrete from 15 feet up - or if I slipped on some grass and grazed my head on the field - my coaches, teammates, buddies, any adults who were there - would take it seriously. Why? Coz anyone who knows anything about head injuries knows that things can go from perfectly fine to horribly bad in no time.

Example - Typical football practice - I (5'10", 170lbs) blocked one of my teammates (bigger - 6'2", 215lbs) during a standard running drill. I hit him with my shoulder - a glancing blow that hit his head. Something that happens 1000x. We both get up - he starts to wobble a bit and says he's dizzy. He tries to shake it off - seems okay. Couple hours later, he's off to the hospital coz he's puking and can't stand up straight. Turns out, he's got a concussion. Yeah - last thing on my mind - or anyone else's for that matter - was that this guy was a "snowflake" or not accustomed to "rough and tumble play." Another ex: Natasha Richardson. Yeah - she slipped and fell on a bunny slope. Not from any height - just sort of fell down. She got up - joked about it - and then, well - you know what happened next. As a snow sports enthusiast - I can assure you, when I read that I did not think - "Wow...what a snowflake!"

Fact is - things can happen with the head that no one can explain - so why mess around? Make the call. It takes 10 seconds. Let's not forget - this ain't YOUR kid, right?
Oh lighten up. The post was mine, why not just quote it. The original post was not about a head injury. If the OP had said "my daughter fell from a zip line and hit her head" I think every one on here would have said they would call the parents, but that is not what she said. I have rambunctious boys playing at my house every day. If I was to call the parents every time someone had a bump or scrape I'd be on the phone non-stop. If they hit their heads I would call. Do not insinuate parents who's opinions are different from yours are lesser than. The OP was specific, then as her daughter gave her more details, the situation changed. Please do not twist my words. And I stand by what I said, some kids are more stoic than others, and some parents are more inclined to rescue than others (obviously not in relation to severe head injuries, okay?).

Old 06-11-2011, 11:28 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
If the child appeared fine, no concussion, no broken skin, no obvious serious injuries and she said she was fine, I wouldn't have called the mom. I think it's good that she said something when you went to get her though. I'd hate to have my kids spend time at someone's house and find out from my child that they fell off of a zip line. Clearly, the kids didn't have a lot of fun though, if they don't want to go back. I'd certainly honor that request.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
If the child appeared fine, no concussion, no broken skin, no obvious serious injuries and she said she was fine, I wouldn't have called the mom. I think it's good that she said something when you went to get her though. I'd hate to have my kids spend time at someone's house and find out from my child that they fell off of a zip line. Clearly, the kids didn't have a lot of fun though, if they don't want to go back. I'd certainly honor that request.
I'd bet they feel differently about wanting to go back in a few days. The child was embarrassed in front of her friends, and hurting for the rest of the party.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:32 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post

We were responding about a mom who didn't call when a child fell and bumped her back. NOT HEAD. The child was asked if she wanted to call her mom. She said no. If she was in a lot of pain, or it was a serious injury I am sure mom would have been called. The mom told her about the seemingly innocent small injury when she came to pick dd up. That was what we were responding to.

Of course our responses would be different if the mom saw the child fall 20 feet and land on her head. That is a completely different story. The way the other mom saw it was just another slip and fall that maybe Mom should be aware of. Nothing more. Later, it was brought up by dd that she bumped her head.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 PM

645 posts, read 988,378 times
Y'all funny. Vacillate this way or that depending on which way the wind blows.

- Hey, the kid SAID she didn't hit her head - so there was no head injury!! C'mon Beans - you think you are all that and a side 'coz you dare come here and state a dissenting opinion!;
- Oh...you mean the kid said she did hit her head, after all? Oh well, YEAH - of course if she hit her head I'd call! Of course, of course, I'd call! I ain't dumb or nothing!!

Here's the thing. I enjoy coming to this forum because it gets me thinking about stuff that I wouldn't otherwise think about. I appreciate other people's opinions. There are many here that have very different views from my own - but that is what's great about this place. I don't get how having a dissenting opinion makes one believe they are greater than others, but whatever makes you happy.

Like I said, I'd make the call. It wouldn't matter to me if the kid says they hit their head or not. I'm gonna go ahead and hang up now, so please, all you Moms out there may go back to the peace and quiet of your porcelain sanctuaries and resume taking your dumps!!!

Peace!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
As the child herself said, things happened so fast she doesn't know exactly what happened. I'd take a fall from a zipline with the child landing on her back fairly seriously. Would I have called the mom? I don't know. Should the mom have been called? Probably.

FWIW: My daughter fell of the high bar at a gymnastics meet, a distance of ~ 6 feet when she was 10 years old. She landed on a 4" mat placed on a concrete floor. She had a compression fracture of a vertebra. The coaches did not feel she needed to be taken to the dr, but we did take her and that's when they discovered the fracture. They also checked her for kidney damage.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
FWIW: My daughter fell of the high bar at a gymnastics meet, a distance of ~ 6 feet when she was 10 years old. She landed on a 4" mat placed on a concrete floor. She had a compression fracture of a vertebra. The coaches did not feel she needed to be taken to the dr, but we did take her and that's when they discovered the fracture. They also checked her for kidney damage.
Yikes! A friend of ours daughter also fell off the high bar recently, and after complaining for a few weeks was discovered she had a fractured humerus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting