Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

My girls were invited to a Last Day of School Water Party at a neighbors house this afternoon. I had never been to this home before but I had met the Mom before. I drove them there, went in the back yard to say Hi to the Mom and saw there were plenty of Moms seated there but asked if she wanted me to stay.."Oh No we are just fine but thanks for bringing the girls."
I saw a wooden play structure in the shade, lots of water, reviewed with the girls they were to call me if they wanted to come home, otherwise I would pick them up in 1.25 hours.

When I went to pick them up, the Mom greeted me with "Girl X fell off the zip line and hurt her back. I think it scared her more than anything else. I asked her if she wanted me to call her Mom and she said No. She cried for a little bit and then was OK."

Of course she said NO. She was embarrassed to have fallen in front of her friends and she didn't want to be perceived as a baby. She had no red marks or bruises but she was very grumpy, whiny and took a 2 hours nap-something she has not done since she was a baby. She is 9 now.

If a child was hurt at your house wouldn't you have called the Mom?

I would have been there in 3 minutes. I think she is OK but it maddens me I was not called right away. It happened about half hour into the "party". They were both bored, said it was too hot and that they never want to go back there again.

I've given her some pain reliever but she is still miserable. She Did not hit her head, just her back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 03:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Depends on the age of the girls. I can't remember how old your girls are. If after a minute, it appeared that no harm was done, and there were no worries about concussions and the girl just got the wind knocked out of her, I don't know that I would have been on the phone about it. Stuff happens. There was no blood, broken bones or anything like that. What would have been accomplished by calling? It might have embarrassed your daughter more to have "mommy" running over for what appeared to be a minor incident. So...I'd say "it depends"....

Last edited by maciesmom; 06-10-2011 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: punct

Old 06-10-2011, 04:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My girls were invited to a Last Day of School Water Party at a neighbors house this afternoon. I had never been to this home before but I had met the Mom before. I drove them there, went in the back yard to say Hi to the Mom and saw there were plenty of Moms seated there but asked if she wanted me to stay.."Oh No we are just fine but thanks for bringing the girls."
I saw a wooden play structure in the shade, lots of water, reviewed with the girls they were to call me if they wanted to come home, otherwise I would pick them up in 1.25 hours.

When I went to pick them up, the Mom greeted me with "Girl X fell off the zip line and hurt her back. I think it scared her more than anything else. I asked her if she wanted me to call her Mom and she said No. She cried for a little bit and then was OK."

Of course she said NO. She was embarrassed to have fallen in front of her friends and she didn't want to be perceived as a baby. She had no red marks or bruises but she was very grumpy, whiny and took a 2 hours nap-something she has not done since she was a baby. She is 9 now.

If a child was hurt at your house wouldn't you have called the Mom?

I would have been there in 3 minutes. I think she is OK but it maddens me I was not called right away. It happened about half hour into the "party". They were both bored, said it was too hot and that they never want to go back there again.
Honestly, I probably would have done what that mom did. Kids fall all of the time. I would have made sure to tell the mom when she came to pick her up, but for such a short party I probably wouldn't have called unless the child asked me to call (or if she was really injured). That is what I would expect from any moms I have DD spend time with. To me it is like picking her up at daycare and getting the note that DD fell off of the slide. She was fine, but they gave her ice anyway. Since she was fine, they just told me when I got there.

About the nap thing, DD took a 2.5 hour nap the other day. She hasn't taken a nap in about 5 years. She was just extra tired from running around and playing in the water (sprinklers in the yard). I wouldn't worry too much about that. If she is complaining tomorrow, see if she has developed any bruises overnight. She may have also used different muscles than she normally does. I wouldn't worry too much. They are so much more resilient at that age than we are now.

How can they fall down and get right back up anyways? I would probably need 2 people to help me off of the ground and then spend 2 days in bed after something like that.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
A zip line? How come they didn't have that kind of stuff when I was a kid? That is serious fun!!

How high was the zip line? The height would probably correspond to my level of worry. How much of a drop did she take?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:20 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
They may have figured that a phone call would have been the equivalent of "Come pick up your child." If she's 9 and she SAID she's okay and asked that they not call you, I probably would have respected the child's wishes. A phone call usually means it's an emergency. But I do see where you are coming from. You want to be informed.

I think I would have called for a 5 yr old, but not a 9 yr old.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
I think I would have called for a 5 yr old, but not a 9 yr old.
Yes - I missed where she was 9. That's what I thought but wasn't sure.

Plus - the long nap doesn't necessarily mean anything other than she was tired and had spent time outside playing in the fresh air. And was tired from all the winding down activities at school.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:40 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
I agree with the others. She fell, said she was fine, no bruises or cuts, nothing broken. The other mom did the right thing telling you what happened so if a bruise pops up you'll know.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I agree about not calling for a 9 year old.

I also agree that the nap doesn't mean anything. My youngest son (12) was asked to come out and play goalie with some of the high school kids this afternoon (they needed a goalie and my older son plays with them). He was totally exhausted. He is used to being in school and it was hot out today. He came home, took a shower, had a snack and took a long nap.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
My son is 10, and it's not unusual for him or his friends to get bumps and scrapes while playing. I would probably have done the same thing that mom did to be honest.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
I wouldn't have. I think that most people have a good idea of what is a serious injury and what is not and would have the best interests of any child attending the party in mind. If she was concerned about it, I am certain you would have received a call. I just think you are being a bit overprotective and judging that mother unfairly. Wouldn't you be just as angry if she called about the incident, you rushed over there and it was just a bruise? Wouldn't that draw more attention to your daughter therefore embarrassing her more than the fall? There is no reason not to trust her as far as I see it - she told you about it just in case so that you could keep an eye on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting