Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 AM

304 posts, read 887,027 times

Advertisements

I love the sheriff for the lights and sirens for the Mar's bars!

I also love that our sheriff took time from his day to talk to a little girl and reinforce what her parents were saying.

As for our daughters, both really only suffered neglect and their mom saw what was happening and turned them over to the state. They also had one wonderful foster home before they found us.

Yes, they miss their mom but we talk about her and they just accept that they have two moms. They don't miss the sperm donor, so they think they have one dad. But two moms!

Really she's just a kid finding her way. They did see their mom steal, which was an interesting discussion. Had to stress that their mom had just made bad choices and she didn't have a good role model.

As for food as a reward, when I say dessert is a 'reward' they can buy, it's a BIG dessert! We have pudding, Jell-o, etc., but this one is special! But thanks for the reminder about food issues. I keep my eyes open and so far haven't seen anything scary. But it's always nice to be reminded!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 01:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
They did see their mom steal,
Well, there you go.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:36 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,168,365 times
Directed towards the OP....

I am embarassed to state that my dad had an aha moment with me that I will never forget...

I was around 6 and went into the local 7/11 with my dad and he got me a drink and thats it I saw a piece of hubba bubba bubble gum ( lol) and I took it....I did not think I did anything wrong...when my dad saw me about to unwrap the gum he gave me a solemn look and said "I did not buy that" open his car door and opened my door and said "lets go"

We went in as my eyes were wide because I had no idea why we went back in...he told the man behind the counter "Sir my daughter has something to give you" An he motioned for me to give the gum back the man said it was okay buy my dad said.."No, in this family we do not take anything that we did not pay for"
I was humiliated....Never did it again...

I have never been through this with my son since I explained this to him when he was very young...lol

Old 06-25-2011, 03:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,227,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Directed towards the OP....

I am embarassed to state that my dad had an aha moment with me that I will never forget...

I was around 6 and went into the local 7/11 with my dad and he got me a drink and thats it I saw a piece of hubba bubba bubble gum ( lol) and I took it....I did not think I did anything wrong...when my dad saw me about to unwrap the gum he gave me a solemn look and said "I did not buy that" open his car door and opened my door and said "lets go"

We went in as my eyes were wide because I had no idea why we went back in...he told the man behind the counter "Sir my daughter has something to give you" An he motioned for me to give the gum back the man said it was okay buy my dad said.."No, in this family we do not take anything that we did not pay for"
I was humiliated....Never did it again...

I have never been through this with my son since I explained this to him when he was very young...lol
Great to see someone leading with values.
The store owner probably figured a few cents, not malicious, just a naieve kid.
Dad knew that a lesson learned early stay for life.
It sounds like the little girl not only learned not to steal but also that their family did have values and that they were good values worth defending.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:34 PM

90 posts, read 293,591 times
Oh man, my parents did the same thing to me and it sure taught me a lesson. I don't know how old I was, pretty young certainly, and we were visiting one of my Mom's friends. I noticed a dime sitting on her coffee table and I slipped it into my pocket. Of course, as soon as I got home I took it out and my mom asked me where I got it. I made up some stupid excuse about how I found it on the way home, which she knew was a lie because we had walked home together. So she marched me right back over to her friend's house, made me give it back to her and apologize. Of course the lady insisted it was no big deal, but that sure taught me a lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting