Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think leashes carry a strong connotation of slavery. I know we use leashes on dogs as well, and I think a lot of humans treat their animals like slaves. We even use terms like "master" or "pet owner" that imply our pets are our property.

I think it's emotionally unhealthy to treat your child in a way that suggests they are your slave and not their own human being with at least basic, fundamental rights of mobility.

I realize there are a minority of cases where using a leash is just a matter of practicality, but in the majority of cases, I think there are practical solutions available that don't involve using a leash.
I don't see it that way at all. On the contrary, most people I know treat their pets like part of the family. And the leash gives them (the kids) a larger range of mobility than hand holding would. My toddler has "the fundamental right of mobility" within MY comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
I haven't read the responses so I'm not speaking about or to anyone who has posted here. But I don't understand why people have a problem with these leashes. No one would use one unless they really needed it. I've never seen anyone strolling leisurely, sipping a latte with their child - on a leash - walking obediently next to them! I assume they are for the kind of child who is GONE in an instant. I don't know why people look for reasons to give the side eye to other parents. Just assume there is a good reason for the thing, thank your lucky stars you don't have "that child" and continue your mall walk!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This is ridiculous. Did you know that attachment parenting people will also tell you not to use strollers or infant carriers to carry a baby around. After all, you should wear your baby close to your body.

Most parents don't use leashes when the baby is in a safe situation such as a child-proofed home - toddlers are free to explore their environment under supervision. But when you must do adult errands and you must take your child with you, some kind of containment is often necessary. The leash allows *more* mobility than a stroller or shopping cart does.
Re: the bold-I did not know that, and I was a young public health nurse when the attachment parenting movement was all the rage. I actually did not use a carrier with my kids and the car seats of the day were way more difficult to install/remove. These days, most parents bring their young infants into our office in car seats. I do like the idea of holding/carrying the baby.

Regarding leashes, I want to expand on what Hopes said about them being popular in Europe. Europe is very walkable, and people walk a lot. When my mom used one on me, we did a lot of walking as she did not have a car of her own.

As far as "treat(ing) your child in a way that suggests they are your slave and not their own human being with at least basic, fundamental rights of mobility", the kid doesn't know a leash is considered "bad" by many people, and they really don't have an unfettered right of mobility. Toddlers (and that is who these leashes are primarily used on) have no sense of danger, and some research says they think of cars as big, friendly animals.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
When my younger child was 18 months old, we took a trip and flew to our destination. She was a runner. If I let go of her for even a second, off she would go. By this age, she had learned how to get out of a stroller. I was afraid she would go running through a security check point and I knew my reaction would be to run right after her causing a major security breach in a major airport. So, a cute monkey backpack leash went right on her back. She was happy to be able to run through the airport and I was secure knowing I wouldn't cause the emptying of an entire terminal in the airport! I rarely used it, but when I was in a situation where her safety was of concern, I put it on her.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I haven't read the responses so I'm not speaking about or to anyone who has posted here. But I don't understand why people have a problem with these leashes. No one would use one unless they really needed it. I've never seen anyone strolling leisurely, sipping a latte with their child - on a leash - walking obediently next to them! I assume they are for the kind of child who is GONE in an instant. I don't know why people look for reasons to give the side eye to other parents. Just assume there is a good reason for the thing, thank your lucky stars you don't have "that child" and continue your mall walk!
A very logical post!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:
Lots of people don't have relatives they can ask to babysit. This may be especially true on a trip to Disney which is probably at least several days and maybe a week or two if you live far from the park.

My parents were already dead by the time I had kids. My cousins and aunts lived several states away. My husband's parents were elderly and lived in a condo in Florida. His brothers and sisters did not live near us either. Who would we have asked to take care of the two year old while we took her brother who was five to Disney?

Then you dont go until all members of the family or old enough to handle it and enjoy it. IMO but as I said earlier to each its own this is a "WHAT I WOULD DO" statement. Not asking anyone to change their views or life for me.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
No, but those little potty seats look pretty stupid too. They are still helpful and practical for potty learning.

And you dont use them for dogs...which is what my post is about. Who the hell was talking about it looking stupid?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Then you dont go until all members of the family or old enough to handle it and enjoy it. IMO but as I said earlier to each its own this is a "WHAT I WOULD DO" statement. Not asking anyone to change their views or life for me.
Quote:
And you dont use them for dogs...which is what my post is about. Who the hell was talking about it looking stupid?
If your posts aren't about what others should or shouldn't be doing, then why keep saying "you don't" instead of "we did (or didn't)" or "I would (or wouldn't)"?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If your posts aren't about what others should or shouldn't be doing, then why keep saying "you don't" instead of "we did (or didn't)" or "I would (or wouldn't)"?

how in the world would use use a toilet seat to potty train your dog?????

Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Then you dont go until all members of the family or old enough to handle it and enjoy it.
Not go to a Disney park until ever child in the family is "old enough"? You've just put horror into the soul of every Disney Fanatic. Not to mention the stock holders. (Grabs heart and falls dramatically to the floor.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting