Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
smoking pot is still not healthy... from a smoking stand. have them eat it in a brownie or on granola... it will get them higher with less and no harm to their lungs.

Right, but the original post was constructed to choose one or another - which one would bother you more. It's relative.

Just like people who smoke regularly (like a pack a day) are doing something more unhealthy than eating one donut a day. But, which of these two things is more unhealthy, one donut or one cigarette. If you eat three donuts a day, you'll put on a lot of far pretty quick. However while smoking is very unhealthy, smoking three cigarettes a day is almost negligible compared to eating three donuts a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You would definitely be in the minority here. Sunday afternoon football is a family tradition around here. We make popcorn, bring the laptops upstairs and follow our fantasy football teams. Our extended family is in a fantasy football league. The kids call each other and talk trash. Our league covers four states and three generations. It's a load of fun but it does involve that terrible terrible thing the television.
Hey, if it's providing your family with togetherness time and so much fun, it can't be all THAT evil!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, if it's providing your family with togetherness time and so much fun, it can't be all THAT evil!
Can't argue with this. But I can see that for one possible two games a week, not 20 hours a week.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Can't argue with this. But I can see that for one possible two games a week, not 20 hours a week.
Why? 20 hours a week is not that much. If someone watches an hour of tv in the morning and 2 hours at night that is more than 20 hours. That's not really a whole lot of tv.

My kids leave for school at 7. I usually get up early, make sure they have what they need and then they leave (my older son drives). They get home around 3. I almost always watch tv from 7-9 because there isn't a whole lot of other stuff to do at that time of day. I do my laundry, straighten up the house, but I keep the tv on. I guess I don't see it as a big deal. That alone is 10 hours a week of tv on weekdays. Once a week I stay home and do laundry all day. That adds another 6 hours a week of tv for a total of 16 hours where the tv is on. I am also a baseball and basketball fan. There is usually a game on in my house in the evenings (when we are home) and I would estimate that adds another 15 hours a week of tv viewing for a total of 31 hours of tv.

This does not seem excessive. I still have time to have lunch with my friends, work part time, run errands for my family, do the yardwork, drive my kids where they need to be driven, etc...I guess I just don't think watching tv is such a terrible thing

Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Why? 20 hours a week is not that much. If someone watches an hour of tv in the morning and 2 hours at night that is more than 20 hours. That's not really a whole lot of tv.

My kids leave for school at 7. I usually get up early, make sure they have what they need and then they leave (my older son drives). They get home around 3. I almost always watch tv from 7-9 because there isn't a whole lot of other stuff to do at that time of day. I do my laundry, straighten up the house, but I keep the tv on. I guess I don't see it as a big deal. That alone is 10 hours a week of tv on weekdays. Once a week I stay home and do laundry all day. That adds another 6 hours a week of tv for a total of 16 hours where the tv is on. I am also a baseball and basketball fan. There is usually a game on in my house in the evenings (when we are home) and I would estimate that adds another 15 hours a week of tv viewing for a total of 31 hours of tv.

This does not seem excessive. I still have time to have lunch with my friends, work part time, run errands for my family, do the yardwork, drive my kids where they need to be driven, etc...I guess I just don't think watching tv is such a terrible thing
I guess it's all relative. My television isn't on sometimes for days, but I didn't grow up in a TV-centered home, so it's never been of that much interest to me. If you don't watch TV, though, you do miss out on a lot of conversations at work and in other social settings. Some people seem to know what's going on with every popular show, and usually I have no clue as to what they are talking about. Or who those people are on the supermarket magazine covers.

I just think that some people have no balance in their lives, and too much of their perceptions of reality are based on what they see on TV. I really believe that overwatching of TV has played a big part in dumbing down people in this country. I know way too many people who haven't read a book in years.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
Any 20 year old admitting to smoking pot "once a month, at a party" is lying. What they really mean is, "everytime I can get my hands on it, but if I tell you that, you'll freak. Hell, I'm high right now".

20 hours of TV a week is nothing. Less than 3 hours a day. 2 sitcoms, one newsprogram and a special on WWII and you've watched more than that.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I almost always watch tv from 7-9 because there isn't a whole lot of other stuff to do at that time of day. I do my laundry, straighten up the house, but I keep the tv on.
Sounds like the TV is on while you are working. That's not what I meant by watching TV. TV watching would be the primary activity.

Yes, 20 yours of TV is "that much". One hour in the morning every day? Who has that kind of time? Two hours at night? Who doesn't have other things to do, especially kids - things such as homework, chores, sports, friends, beneficial computer use, clubs, family time.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Hopefully by the time my son is 20 I'm not into the day to day details of his life to know if he is doing one or the other.....

Old 06-24-2011, 03:52 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Sounds like the TV is on while you are working. That's not what I meant by watching TV. TV watching would be the primary activity.

Yes, 20 yours of TV is "that much". One hour in the morning every day? Who has that kind of time? Two hours at night? Who doesn't have other things to do, especially kids - things such as homework, chores, sports, friends, beneficial computer use, clubs, family time.
Well I keep the tv on when I have housework but I don't have housework from 7-3 every day during the school year. Sometimes if I have no laundry to fold I'll just watch tv. OH THE HORROR!

Lots of people have an hour in the morning. My kids have to be out of the house by 7AM. I rarely have to be anywhere before 10. That gives me 3 hours in the morning. I rarely sit and watch tv for 3 hours in the morning though.

I am not sure what your kids do all day but mine are usually home at night which is when they usually watch tv. What chores are your kids doing at 9-11 at night?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Well I keep the tv on when I have housework but I don't have housework from 7-3 every day during the school year. Sometimes if I have no laundry to fold I'll just watch tv. OH THE HORROR!

Lots of people have an hour in the morning. My kids have to be out of the house by 7AM. I rarely have to be anywhere before 10. That gives me 3 hours in the morning. I rarely sit and watch tv for 3 hours in the morning though.

I am not sure what your kids do all day but mine are usually home at night which is when they usually watch tv. What chores are your kids doing at 9-11 at night?

My kids are all under 12 so they're out of context of this thread.
And, chores are one thing to do - not realistically 9-11. Being in bed sleeping would be a good thing. But, yes I suppose a lot of people are watching TV from 9-11PM and if done every night of the week (plus another six hours to total 20/week) would bother me more than doing a couple bongs once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting