U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:21 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,232,984 times

Advertisements

I haven't read through all the threads yet so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but contact your school district for an evaluation. There are early intervention programs that are FREE to parents and they will evaluate him for you and if he qualifies, enroll him in a preschool run by the school district to address special needs (behavior or cognitive issues). They will transport him by bus, etc. If he does have something wrong this will greatly help him! If he doesn't, well, then you'll know that too. Call your local school district!!!! Again this is a federal program that is FREE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
I will tell you all a briefly about our family so maybe you could help give me some ideas on how to stop this behavior.

I have 5 children. 2 girls ages 9 1/2 & 11. 3 boys ages 5 1/2, 4 (just turned) and 2 yrs.

I am a stay at home mom and husband is pretty much never here. He work 8am to 8pm most days with Weds morn and SUndays off.

The problem is my 4 yr old boy. My other 4 did not scream (very loud and shrill) and throw tantrums like this 4 yr old. He also often trys to hurt his brothers either by hitting, slapping or hitting with a toy. Sometime when aggrevated and sometimes just out of the blue. He then throws a tantrum an all out loud one when I tell him he has to have a 4 minute time out.

He sometimes refuses and I will pop him on the rear with the "Naughty stick" ( a plastic cooking spatula) this is always last resort. It is now mainly used to chase him into his room so we do not have to see or listen to his screaming and see him throwing his tantrum I tell him he can come out when he is done.

The littlest things could set him off. Like when I tell him he can have a snack after lunch or can not have a toy the store.

He is the only one to flat out tell me "NO" or "I Hate YOu MOMMY" when I tell him something like no running in the store on hold my hand in the parking lot or that he can not have a real hammer when he is not working with daddy.

He pushes me to my limit every day. Bed time Sucks!!!! This one child causes complete and utter chaos in our house hold. Whether we are trying to play a family game or read a book he always seems to disrupt just about everything we do.

I do not know what to to to stop or disciplin this behaviour. I do have 4 other children and run a doggie daycare in of my home.

I thought by age 4 he would be past this.

Different things work for different kids. Anyone here been through this? What worked for you. If it is reasonable and I have not already tried it I would try about anything at this point.

A HUGE thank you to all who have read this far I know this is a bit long.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting