Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
reply only to mom and cc sis. Tell them you are sorry you can't make it to lunch. Are you able to go to the ceremony before work? If you can, you should.
If the person goes before work, then the mom would give some unbearable badgering to go to the lunch after setting up an awkward situation.

I would reply all and say "I'm sorry but my commitment to my job prevents me from honoring the event with my presence." and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Am I the only one who thinks this might not be the issue to "stick to your guns" about? It's a graduation! Yes, it sucks that it's on a Monday, but other people are making accomodations for it. Does the OP not get ANY lunch hour at all? That sounds wierd. This "maybe we can do something later" sounds like something out of an old 70s "assertiveness training" manual.

Forget the apartment issue for now and deal with this.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
If the person goes before work, then the mom would give some unbearable badgering to go to the lunch after setting up an awkward situation.

I would reply all and say "I'm sorry but my commitment to my job prevents me from honoring the event with my presence." and leave it at that.
I don't think that, nor the fact that the OP isn't an early riser are reason's to miss the ceremony. If she goes to the ceremony, at least she can say she tried.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this might not be the issue to "stick to your guns" about? It's a graduation! Yes, it sucks that it's on a Monday, but other people are making accomodations for it. Does the OP not get ANY lunch hour at all? That sounds wierd. This "maybe we can do something later" sounds like something out of an old 70s "assertiveness training" manual.

Forget the apartment issue for now and deal with this.
It seems like it is all about priorities to me. I don't know what she has going on later in the week that she's taking off work for, but I wonder if it is really more important than this.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't think that, nor the fact that the OP isn't an early riser are reason's to miss the ceremony. If she goes to the ceremony, at least she can say she tried.
Look, if they don't stop the buck here the mom will think they can bully her into anything. The OP needs to stand firm on this.

Quote:
It seems like it is all about priorities to me. I don't know what she has going on later in the week that she's taking off work for, but I wonder if it is really more important than this.
That's the OP's business, not ours. All we need to know is she does not want to take more time off at the beck and call of her mom.

Quote:
This issue is much bigger than the graduation thing. It's about letting her mom know she needs to realize that the OP is an adult and not a child who must obey her every command.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Look, if they don't stop the buck here the mom will think they can bully her into anything. The OP needs to stand firm on this.

That's the OP's business, not ours. All we need to know is she does not want to take more time off at the beck and call of her mom.

This issue is much bigger than the graduation thing. It's about letting her mom know she needs to realize that the OP is an adult and not a child who must obey her every command.
^ she doesn't need to do that at her sister's expense.

If she's not working, she really doesn't have an excuse not to go to the ceremony. That is called supporting her sister, not being at the beck and call of her mother. Her mom's big thing is lunch. She's not going to that. If she can't attend the ceremony because she can't say that to her mom, that's a problem.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:34 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,784 times
This all sounds like typical Mom stuff to me. You are making something huge out of nothing.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:

She doesn't have to put her sister in the middle of it. She should go to her sister's graduation and/or the lunch if she can. There will be many other opportunties for the OP to "stick to her guns" re: her mother. The "doing something later" is likely never to happen.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
This all sounds like typical Mom stuff to me. You are making something huge out of nothing.
I think so too. My younger daughter has told me many times I'm "difficult" (b/c I expected her, as an adult living in our home, to help with housework, etc). That doesn't mean I have a personality disorder!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:31 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Looks like some further clarifications are in order. The reason I can't go to both the ceremony and the lunch is because they both conflict with my work schedule. The ceremony starts right before my shift starts and it's insufficient time to get back to the office on time. Mom's lunch get together is during my shift. I have only 30 mins allocated to lunch and together with travel + from the restaurant she booked, it's simply impossible to attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting