Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times

Advertisements

At his age I was a Sergeant in the Army and had been to Vietnam and Korea. There are plenty of College Grads flipping burgers and stocking shelves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
At his age I was a Sergeant in the Army and had been to Vietnam and Korea. There are plenty of College Grads flipping burgers and stocking shelves.

For every college grads flipping burgers and stocking shelves there are 69 high school grads (no college) flipping burgers and stocking shelves.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Here's the thing, delaying the start of your earning years really hurts because you aren't losing the first low earning years, you're losing the last high earning years and you aren't able to start saving as early.

Say you start out at 22 making $40K out of college and you get a 3.5% raise every year until you hit 65. You'll earn $4049533. However if you wait until you're 26 and work until 65, you'll only earn $3382011, a difference of over $667000. And, that is only the sum of the earnings - it doesn't take into account the compound interest you would have gained investing in 401(k) and Roth IRAs starting at an early age.

Delaying your working years is a killer for accumulating wealth.

If I could, I would do whatever it takes (bribes, threats, etc) to get him into and then out of college and into the working world as soon as possible.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
He is an adult, it has nothing to do with you. Stay out of it.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,556 times
He can and should do both. I say this as someone who was military. If he really wants to join, he should get his degree and then join as an officer. It's a much better option.
My 18 YO son just enlisted in the Army National Guard. He will go to college for criminal justice while he is in

Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
For every college grads flipping burgers and stocking shelves there are 69 high school grads (no college) flipping burgers and stocking shelves.
I finished high School and College in the Army. Coming out of College at 26 with $100K in debt is no advantage

Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
My 19 yo stepson is currently considering enlisting in the military. At the moment he is living with his dad, me and younger brother as he and his mom were not getting along. I'm not gung-ho about the idea of him enlisting (more worried than a lack of enthusiasm) but will support him if he decides to move forward with this.
I am a veteran myself, and normally I would encourage young people to enter military service.

However, the military is not what it used to be. It has become a real magnet for sick people who enjoy torturing and killing people. Just google for the recent "kill shot" photos that were the subject of much controversy and see for yourself what is going on over there.

I read JUST YESTERDAY where one unit in Afghanistan would throw candy in front of their military vehicle so they could run over the children that went to collect it.

The military is experiencing more suicides than EVER BEFORE IN HISTORY because of this kind of thing. Not to mention that the government IS putting chemicals in the soldiers' food that alters their personality and desensitizes them about killing and cruelty.

If he were my son, I would encourage him to become a VISTA or Peace Corps volunteer instead. There are a lot more important things than the GI Bill for education. Like his sanity and his life. Just sayin'

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 AM

663 posts, read 1,081,523 times
I agree that he should be commissioned as an officer. His father was, grandfather was not, and his father benefited more IMO.

Believe me, I wish I could stay out of it. My SS confides in me and my husband was inappropriate in asking me a question if he didn't want the answer. I appreciate all the military info, I really do. Also hoping for responses in terms of stepfamily dynamics. There's no Stepfamily 101 and even after 16 years married I am still at a loss sometimes. I mostly just listen to my SS, I don't want to get burned by mom or dad; it's happened in the past. But when the husband asks me in private, not in front of SS, I did feel inclined to answer. At least I did then, sure as h*ll would not have done it now had I known. It's like I hit a glass ceiling in these situations, so to speak. It's ok to do this, that and the other thing with MY son, but don't do this or you will feel the wrath.

It's annoying when my husband pretty much feels he has the right to comment on things pertaining to my daughter, her college, whatever problems are going on. Always has. The dynamics of this are messed up to me. I'll talk to him about it, he'll knock it off for awhile, something new crops up and he's back at it. I really would have preferred the your kid/my kid thing would have gone by the wayside but it hasn't.

I would love to bribe him to at least hold off on the military. Not sure it would bode well for me, ultimately. Right now I'm hoping he'll finish school and then consider serving. I think I will also try to stay out of the line of questioning in the future. At best it's probably not a conversation that will be much of a benefit to anyone.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I finished high School and College in the Army. Coming out of College at 26 with $100K in debt is no advantage
It depends.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM

663 posts, read 1,081,523 times
20 years: the candy thing is terrible, a travesty....sick. My FIL would agree the military had changed vastly since he served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting