Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM

191 posts, read 357,417 times

Advertisements

Hey this is going to get alot of hateful comments and i am prepared for that. FASFA was created to help students entering college, tradeschool, etc. for higher learning. It was created not to long ago and i understand the reason now that i am in college. Parents have children that they cannot afford! Dont birth a child and you dont have the means to provide for there education! ( THAT INCUDLES COLLEGE) Why do some people feel the need to have 6 or 5 children or mine who had 4! Cant afford to buy them things that are a necessary to be a successful person in todays society? I have seen this first hand, and my parents leave my college bill to FASFA or they want me to pay my own way through college....NOT SMART its hard enough finding a job, then accompany that with trying to get good grades not easy! Add stress to the equation and you have a very pissed of person . I deserve better, and my parents should have planned more, i am writing this to all the parents who are thinking about having a kid, or have one and refuse to pay for there education.....to me you are deadbeats! I dont even want to hear the arguement that it teaches me vaules etc etc etc....it comes down to this....i have friends who's parents are fitting the bill for there kids $30,000 a year at most colleges, not beacause they are rich but because they love there child enough to do so....if they have to take out loans and work 6 jobs i dont feel bad because YOU CHOOSE to have the child. No one held a gun up to your head and said have a baby . So when i look at these parents i see they LOVE there child and will do anything for them. And if there working all day at 4 or 6 jobs why do i care thats what they get for not planning and saving a college fund for there children since they were younger....its not like they didnt know that child had to go to college! So all you deadbeat parents (incudling mine) stop having children if you can't afford them. Back in the day i heard if you didnt have the money you didnt go to college, so only well planned, smart, loving parents took there children to college def. not the same anymore.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
I'll go further than you.

People, STOP having kids just because that's what you think i ssupposed to happen in your life. Put serious thought into it and make a wise decision. You CAN so NO to having children. But if you say yes, make sure you know what you're doing, because it'll be the most difficult, most expensive, most time consuming thing you'll ever do.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
So basically you're pissed because people get financial aid? Get over it! Just be glad you're getting an education. I worked my way through college, and so did many other people I know. It can be done. You are not entitled to a college education. If you want one pay for it.

Personally I've noticed people who have to work their way through college are more successful because it's their money, and most choose not to party away when it's their money they'd be wasting.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:04 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
No. You can live at home, get a job, and go to community college part time. There are classes you can take online, to work around your work schedule. You can join the Army reserves, and get money for college, you can find employment that pays your tuition, my son did.

No one owes you anything. If your parents don't support you, you can still make college happen.

Why didn't you get scholarships for going to college?

My DD is like you, she wants to go away to college, I can't afford it--just the way it is--she is pouting, like you, and mad at me...too bad, I don't have the money. But she has options, she just does not like those options. Wow! Time to grow up, the world is not according to what you want.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Let's get the catholic church's opinion on this.

"Father, I have five kids and I only make $8 per hour. What should my wife and I do?"
"Continue to be fruitful and multiply my son."

Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
So my parents are deadbeats because they couldn't save up $200,000+ for me and my siblings to attend college? My dad is a blue collar worker and my mom was a stay at home mom until my brother was old enough for school. They provided for us just fine, but there is NO WAY they would have been able to put aside that much money for college. I worked full time all through college to pay for it and I'm pretty happy I was able to do that. I have pride that I was able to do it all on my own instead of mooching off my parents.

After high school, you're on your own. Growing up is a bummer, isn't it?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM

326 posts, read 872,095 times
I'd recommend learning the difference between there, their, and they're.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
I agree people need to stop breeding right now, but for reasons besides educational opportunities.

This world is seriously overpopulated and all most people are willing to do is completely ignore this fact. That and the fact that resources are seriously dwindling..and still you have people popping them out one right after another. It's idiocracy, folks. This world is just getting worse and worse. And now that we have the PC brigade shoving other peoples cultures down our throats, nobody is willing to confront those minorities that continually have children ending up on welfare, food stamps etc.

Heck I'm not even sure if some of these people even REALIZE what birth control is, or that breeding is a CHOICE. It's not pre-ordained.

I once asked a russian girl I was car-pooling to school with if she was planning on having children. Her response was a shocked "Of course !" as if it was a foregone conclusion. I was like "YOu do know that we do have birth control and choice in this country and you DONT have to do what your family expects of you, don't you ?".

Her family/culture apparently worships the LifeScript. It's scary.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
I'd recommend learning the difference between there, their, and they're.
And how much will that cost the OP because the parents obviously won't pay for it?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Let's get the catholic church's opinion on this.

"Father, I have five kids and I only make $8 per hour. What should my wife and I do?"
"Continue to be fruitful and multiply my son."
At this point, it's probably too late anyway; there's nothing that Father Flanagan can do....saints preserve us..

I will say, though, that having parents help out with college expenses is a pretty reasonable expectation; no one is suggesting that they pay for ALL of it, but there's no way that an 18 yo can afford much of anything on his/her own, and certainly not without saddling the student with 100K in loans..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting