Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times

Advertisements

You know how you can have a "family" section on your Facebook profile, where you can list your parents, siblings, and kids, and even grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins? Well, there are no options for adding step-parents/step-children. Why not?! I'm sure there are plenty of people this would apply to! I also see that there are no options for in-laws, which I could also use.

But regarding step-parents, I have one of each on FB, and Facebook doesn't have a way for me to add them to family. My mom is also on FB (my dad is deceased). I am very close with my step-parents and they have been in my life since I was a small child. I had purposefully not added any of my parentals to my FB "family" in an effort to avoid drama, but I guess my mom figured out how to do it herself and this week she added me as her daughter. I approved it (because what am I supposed to do?), so now FB lists my mom under my family. And my step-mom is pissed. She wants to know why my mom is there and she's not. I tried to explain that FB won't let me add her, but she is pissed anyway. She says "Well, I probably won't be going to your page anymore. It's too insulting and upsetting to see you mother there and me not counted as part of your family." I told her that FB doesn't have an option for step-parents, and that my step-dad isn't there either. She said "You didn't have your mother up there before, why does she have to be there now?"

So, my questions. How would you handle this if your step-parent was hurt because they are not listed as family along side your other parent? And what do other people with step-parents/step-kids choose to do about the family listings? And finally, what is Facebook thinking in not having this as an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Of course you can make a list just for steps. You can create lists with any title you want, customized so that everyone on that list has specific access information to each other and to your page. Just go to their help page and type in "friends lists" in the search engine and you'll get detailed instructions to do that.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 PM

346 posts, read 507,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
You know how you can have a "family" section on your Facebook profile, where you can list your parents, siblings, and kids, and even grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins? Well, there are no options for adding step-parents/step-children. Why not?! I'm sure there are plenty of people this would apply to! I also see that there are no options for in-laws, which I could also use.

But regarding step-parents, I have one of each on FB, and Facebook doesn't have a way for me to add them to family. My mom is also on FB (my ......snip......

So, my questions. How would you handle this if your step-parent was hurt because they are not listed as family along side your other parent? And what do other people with step-parents/step-kids choose to do about the family listings? And finally, what is Facebook thinking in not having this as an option?
Ok, great question, since not only do I have step parents but I have step kids too, all of us on facebook. I listed my step kids as my kids. Since your mom did this, so can your stepmom. She puts you down as her daughter. As far as I know facebook won't NOT let you do this, you know, like I don't believe they an internal set up to where a person can be listed only so many times as a daughter.

So anyway, you call your stepmom and you tell her that while you understand that she feels slighted, you cant help but feel like the luckiest person to have so many caring and loving parents, that she would let a new-fangled modern technology glitch put a serious dent in your otherwise wonderful relationship means she is losing the technology battle(use humor, I'm trying to show humor here) tell her, don't let those technogeeks win!

Then you all chuckle and make a few more remarks that break the ice, and then tell her that as far as you know SHE CAN add you as a daughter, and let's try it together over the phone, "I will walk you through it" and together we will tackle this monster called facebook.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quite frankly, I'd tell her to grow up. It is FB, not your obituary.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Don't list any "relations" and nobody will be upset. Jesus..facebook.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
is there no end to the problems facebook can cause?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,229 times
I would say, get over it..we're close we have a good relationship...does it really matter if it's advertised all over facebook?

I would probably also say, "grow up". But that's just me...

Old 07-01-2011, 01:20 AM

3 posts, read 11,917 times
I list my Step daughters on face book. I m their custodial SM though so I do everything for them and their mother isn't in the picture very much. I have their mom on my friends list to and she's never mentioned it so she obviously doesn't have much of a problem with it.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I would say, get over it..we're close we have a good relationship...does it really matter if it's advertised all over facebook?

I would probably also say, "grow up". But that's just me...
Agreed!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
This is why I no longer have a "social media" page and why my wife has basically reduced her FB page to mom blogs and coupon sites. Way more BS and drama then it works. Some families just function better not knowing everything about each other, lol. Not to mention all of the new "etiquette" that goes into it.

Anyway, a couple Google searches pretty much confirmed what I thought, it is possible to have any number of "moms" and "dads", etc. listed under your family group. The reason for this, they would face disciminatory practice law suits from same sex couples with children if they didn't allow it. I'm not sure how to do it, but it seems completely possible.

According to this forum, it used to be an issue, but has been resolved in the past year and you can now have as many moms, dads, whatever as you want.

FaceBook Dilemma as a Stepmom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting