Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If you don't like the topic, you are free to abstain from participating!

If you want to see it like that. It certainly is not what I meant. Defensive much?
Just as I am free to astain I am also free to voice my opinion about the topic you created a thread about it. If I want to tell you that it is my opinion that this thread could have been called dead horse, than I can. I have stayed on topic.

I am not defensive at all about my parenting choices, my family and I are very happy and well adjusted. We have been on both sides of the equation and since I'm hoping to have at least another 20 years of active parenting ahead of me I'm thinking I will switch back and forth over the next 20 years according to what suits us at that time.

What I am defensive about is seeing thread after thread of women ripping each others choices to shreds about some thing that people never argue about IRL.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Default that sounds like a problem with the parent's parenting style--not staying at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This is a huge issue with many facets and aspects. I am basically for nurturing the child, but there is one big negative to be aware of . . . these days, SAHM's have become what I think of as "assistants" to their children . . .little servants and slaves to their children. I don't think this is healthy for the mom or the child, but in the interest of taking good care of children, lots of women completely put themselves in subservient positions (with good intentions) and the results are the mom becomes a robot and the child becomes a little tyrant who grows up to feel entitled. Not good.

IMO (only my opinion and the way I was raised)--part of staying home with your child is being there to teach them to be responsible--taking time to teach them to clean up--feed pets--do their homework on time--eat their veggies before their desert--not to be their slaves. That way they feel responsible and capable, not entitled. And in my opinion working moms do this to--they just have to give up some of their own private time to do it. And kudos to them because they are financially supporting their children and teaching them responsibility, while sacrificing their own personal me time. Most moms would not consider it a sacrifice though because their children are their highest priority.

Parenting isn't about doing everything for your child.. It is about giving them the knowledge and opportunity to do for themselves so that they can be responsible, happy, productive adults, without mommy holding their hand.

Last edited by funisart; 10-06-2011 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Just as I am free to astain I am also free to voice my opinion about the topic you created a thread about it. If I want to tell you that it is my opinion that this thread could have been called dead horse, than I can. I have stayed on topic.

I am not defensive at all about my parenting choices, my family and I are very happy and well adjusted. We have been on both sides of the equation and since I'm hoping to have at least another 20 years of active parenting ahead of me I'm thinking I will switch back and forth over the next 20 years according to what suits us at that time.

What I am defensive about is seeing thread after thread of women ripping each others choices to shreds about some thing that people never argue about IRL.
YOU chose to see ripping where none was presented.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
YOU chose to see ripping where none was presented.
Look I don't want to argue with you; in fact many, many times I agree with you! I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten a pop up telling me I must spread the love before I can rep you again.

Perhaps you started this thread innocently and because you've only joined C-D recently you didn't realize that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. It usually results in a locked thread and hurt feelings. The fact that there was another 180+ page thread already going about the same thing seemed like overkill, apparently somebody agreed with me because the threads have been merged.

And now you know one of the sure fire ways to pick a fight on our parenting forum! Every forum has got something, over on my state message board it's pumping your own gas, totally taboo--I kid you not.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM

438 posts, read 1,730,999 times
To the OP, having children is a personal choice - just like when to have them and if you want to be a SAHM. I was 30 when I had my daughter and I think she keeps me young and gives me energy!

SAHMs at my daughter's school provide the majority of the volunteer needs for her class - from helping in the classroom to chaperoning field trips to leading girl scouts. I truly appreciate the role they play!

I make sure to save a few vacation days to chaperone field trips, I chaperone girl scout trips if they are on the weekend. I help at sporting events and recitals. But as fun as that is, I couldn't be a SAHM. It would drive me batty!

If you think you don't want a child until you're 30 or if you decide you don't want children, then so be it. Someone else's decisions may not make you happy!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Look I don't want to argue with you; in fact many, many times I agree with you! I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten a pop up telling me I must spread the love before I can rep you again.

Perhaps you started this thread innocently and because you've only joined C-D recently you didn't realize that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. It usually results in a locked thread and hurt feelings. The fact that there was another 180+ page thread already going about the same thing seemed like overkill, apparently somebody agreed with me because the threads have been merged.
I was taken aback by *what I thought was* being accused of basically passive aggressive put downs when the exact opposite was my intent.

Quote:
And now you know one of the sure fire ways to pick a fight on our parenting forum! Every forum has got something, over on my state message board it's pumping your own gas, totally taboo--I kid you not.
Shall I bring up spanking next?

Last edited by somebodynew; 10-06-2011 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: editted for clarity

Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I was taken aback by being accused of basically passive aggressive put downs when the exact opposite was my intent.

Shall I bring up spanking next?
LOL! I like the way you think

Unfortunatly there's not enough out of the closet spankers on this board to really get things going but bottle vs. breast should do the trick

Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
LOL! My kids are on day 1 of their five-day weekend. Please no more squabbling! Can't we just have some bonbons or chocolate martinis and hug it out?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
LOL! My kids are on day 1 of their five-day weekend. Please no more squabbling! Can't we just have some bonbons or chocolate martinis and hug it out?
I *think* we just made up. But you and I might have to disagree that a martini can have chocolate in it! Gin! Olive!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Olives are for putting on the ends of my fingers so that I can annoy my mother at Thanksgiving. But that's black olives. I tried to like green olives and they are just pleh to the max.

Bathtub gin ... Calgon, take me away! ... overworked moms .... aaand we're back on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting