Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,087 times

Advertisements

Of course! I guess if you have no need of a career than being a stay at home mom might seem like a good idea and its nice for the kids to have a mom that stays home ;-)

Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,019,038 times
Oh man... and I totally forgot this: Yesterday I had the maintenance men come over and blow out my dryer vent - the one that leads from the wall to outside - thinking that even though it was done a short while ago when we first moved in, that maybe something was in there now that is fudging up the dryer and making it not dry right. So anyway... I HAD to take a shower. I mean... I had been too busy doing nothing (yeah right whatever) to even take a shower... and it was 4:45pm and the maintenance guys are 9-5 so I figured the maintenance guys weren't going to make it that day so I hopped in the shower. So I get out of the shower, walk to the kitchen in my towel because I had some underwear drying on a stool in the kitchen (don't judge me, please... those stools make great drying racks) and there's Mr. Maintenance guy. A handsome 20 year old college student. He majors in IT. He's always chatty with me anyway because my husband does what he is going to school to learn to do. Anyway...

I'm used to saying "It's just one of those days..." but my goodness. I'm having one of those going on two weeks... lol

Old 09-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I am totally not getting this reference.
Is this misspelled?
I didn't understand that post, either... can someone explain purty please? Was it a reference to having an abortion?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I left out the part about doing the laundry while simultaneously cyber-stalking Darren Criss (I think that boy is just one giant package of adorable, and I should be embarrassed, but I'm really not), and eating a lunch of peanut butter on a spoon topped with a few chocolate chips. (Okay, that I am embarrassed about.)

Oh, dear God, did I really just admit all that to the internet?

On a positive note, I went to the gym this morning.
Ok...I just came home for lunch, ate some healthy leftovers and you had to go mention peanut butter...now I'm craving it...at least its organic and I'll put it on some whole grain bread. Hopefully that will satisfy my craving before I go into peanut butter cookie mode...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,032,538 times
Mmmmmm. Tasty, tasty peanut butter....

Old 09-15-2011, 01:37 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
and eating a lunch of peanut butter on a spoon topped with a few chocolate chips. (Okay, that I am embarrassed about.)
lol! No need to be embarrassed - trust me, you are not the only one who has done that.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,060,433 times
Lkb: I did not write that quote you posted in parenthesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
NYSinger, if you are still there, I am really curious how you spend an average day. I'm not being snarky, but what do you do all day?
-Get up before hubby, get dressed, prepare and serve breakfast
-Pack his lunch
-Make bed, do laundry, iron, make clothes, knit, crotchet, sew
-Clean the bathroom every day
-Deep clean a room each day
-Dust every day
-Sweep and wash floors twice a week (more for the kitchen floor)
-Decorate
-Clean dishes
-Make lunch and dinner
-Prepare and plan grocery lists and menus, shop
-Bake breads, muffins, cookies
-Take time for my appearance (homemade manicures and pedicures, make up, etc.)
-Declutter and organize
-Make soap and cheap homemade cleaners (using vinegar, Borax, baking soda, bleach etc.)
-Pay bills and budget
-Make phone calls and appointments; organize files
-Learn new skills like repairs and painting
-Be there for the repairmen
-Feel relaxed and enjoy DH's evening company
-Serious homesteaders take care of animals for meat and hens for eggs. They also grow gardens, can and preserve their produce.

I honestly don't feel like I am on vacation or retired. There is a lot of satisfaction and fun in being a homemaker! I've never claimed to do the same work as SAHMs. The fact though is that the words SAHM, domestic diva, domestic engineer etc. have replaced the now dirty word of housewife! I realize not all SAHMs feel it's their job to do the homemaking and that's their choice. Others do view themselves as radical homemakers first and therefore keep themselves quite busy during school hours without even volunteering.

I play the violin, the piano and sing opera. I am fully fluent in French and have learned Italian, Spanish, Latin and German in the past. I read when I have some downtime and rest when I don't feel good. I am my own boss and am happy to decide what I do with my time as opposed to answer to a boss! I can take an online or regular class if I want to further my education or pick up new hobbies. However, I prefer to spend time with hubby after work as I feel quite busy being a homemaker already! I hope that answers well your question.

Last edited by NYSinger; 09-15-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,060,433 times
For more ideas on what a housewife without kids does with her time, here are two wonderful blogs:

DOWN TO EARTH

http://my50syear.blogspot.com/

Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 PM

17,181 posts, read 16,333,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Oh man... and I totally forgot this: Yesterday I had the maintenance men come over and blow out my dryer vent - the one that leads from the wall to outside - thinking that even though it was done a short while ago when we first moved in, that maybe something was in there now that is fudging up the dryer and making it not dry right. So anyway... I HAD to take a shower. I mean... I had been too busy doing nothing (yeah right whatever) to even take a shower... and it was 4:45pm and the maintenance guys are 9-5 so I figured the maintenance guys weren't going to make it that day so I hopped in the shower. So I get out of the shower, walk to the kitchen in my towel because I had some underwear drying on a stool in the kitchen (don't judge me, please... those stools make great drying racks) and there's Mr. Maintenance guy. A handsome 20 year old college student. He majors in IT. He's always chatty with me anyway because my husband does what he is going to school to learn to do. Anyway...

I'm used to saying "It's just one of those days..." but my goodness. I'm having one of those going on two weeks... lol
LMAO - I'm going to fall out of my chair!

Have you considered doing stand up? You sure do have the material for it!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
LMAO - I'm going to fall out of my chair!

Have you considered doing stand up? You sure do have the material for it!
LOL I am way too shy IRL to do anything like that! But people who know me IRL tell me all the time I should write a book.

I'm just glad I put the towel around me. The temp had dropped and it was chilly. Last week when the temp was higher - and we don't have A/C in Oregon so when it's hot we just suck it up and deal with it - I might not have had the towel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.