Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,176,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Ugh!! There's no debate here. While there are educated and uneducated moms in both groups, a higher percentage of educated moms stay in the work force than quit to stay home. That's just the way it is.
If it is inarguable then there must be research to support this, facts to back it up. I would appreciate if you would share that information as I have never seen it. If there is no debate here, and that's just the way it is, can you please share the information that leads you to this de facto?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,178,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Here's the thing. Being equal to men is not just how you split the tasks of daily life. It's in your attitude, and your general being.I am not sure where you get the idea that because some women choose to stay at home while they have children, that they are suddenly the unequal to men in their daughter's eyes, or in anybody else's for that matter.

It seems to me like feel like you are blazing some sort of trail for women, because you are above staying home with your children, that you need to be busy, as if mothers that stay at home are somehow wasting their lives - and that that alone will give your daughters what they need to succeed.

This is purely my opinion - but I think that is misguided at best and snobby and judgmental worst. What you are going to do is to pass on that if women make a different choice than you did, that they are somehow to be looked down upon as lesser members of society, and as not having high enough aspirations.

That is where you are inducing the ire of the other posters here. Being busy isn't everything. Being engaged with your family, and living your life the best way you can for you and them, is what's important. Regardless (work, SAH, join the circus, whatever) of how you choose to do it, that's the best modeling, as far as I'm concerned.
Well said. I'm especially fond of the bolded.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 PM

572 posts, read 1,298,310 times
While kids do need constant supervision, they stop you from doing things you would do if you had that kind of time and they weren't around.

Depends on your kids. My son is 7 and my daughter is 5, my children are home sick with pink eye. I just ran 10 miles on the treadmill while my daughter sat in the office, colored and talked to me, and my son was playing with the puppy and digging in the sandbox. Once children are 2-3 years old, you don't need to constantly supervise them, they can go 15-20-30 minutes without a parent hovering over their every move. Letting them play independently without constantly supervising them allows them to learn some independence.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,511,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If it is inarguable then there must be research to support this, facts to back it up. I would appreciate if you would share that information as I have never seen it. If there is no debate here, and that's just the way it is, can you please share the information that leads you to this de facto?
No problem.

Highly educated mothers likely to stay in work force, sociologists find

"Highly educated mothers likely to stay in work force, sociologists find"

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ork-and-family

"Stay-at-home moms: Census shows they tend to be less educated"

Here's a link to a study that talks about the differences I've been talking about
http://parenthood.library.wisc.edu/Hoffman/Hoffman.html

"
  1. Daughters of employed mothers have been found to have higher academic achievement, greater career success, more nontraditional career choices, and greater occupational commitment.
  2. Studies of children in poverty, in both two-parent and single-mother families, found higher cognitive scores for children with employed mothers as well as higher scores on socioemotional indices.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-26-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,176,825 times
Quote:
No problem.

Oh. I was hoping for an actual study whose merit could be evaluated. Maybe even one from the last couple of years. A comment about a study that is not even referred to by name that was done in 2007 is hardly what I would call compelling evidence. A quick check on the council's website did not yield anything, alas.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
No problem.

Stay-at-home moms: Census shows they tend to be less educated - Chicago Tribune

"Stay-at-home moms: Census shows they tend to be less educated"
None of the studies show which parents are better parents, though? Just because you are a good role model, highly educated, and have a nice income does not mean that you are a good parent.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,143,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
None of the studies show which parents are better parents, though? Just because you are a good role model, highly educated, and have a nice income does not mean that you are a good parent.
Winner, winner you get the slowly simmered, tender and delicious chicken dinner!

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-26-2011 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: comma removal

Old 09-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Winner, winner you get the slowly, simmered, tender and delicious chicken dinner!
Do you deliver or is it take out? I don't feel like cooking tonight, my eyes are swollen and itchy.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:40 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,496,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
Well said! An education and income doesn't make a parent, or a person.

But to continue to skew the statistics. I'm a SAHM with an occasional freelance project. I went to a top ten liberal arts college, have a BS in Business, worked at two Fortune 500 companies and have published several articles.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,511,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Oh. I was hoping for an actual study whose merit could be evaluated. Maybe even one from the last couple of years. A comment about a study that is not even referred to by name that was done in 2007 is hardly what I would call compelling evidence. A quick check on the council's website did not yield anything, alas.
Any peer reviewed study is going to be several years old. 2007 is not considered an old study by any means. You're talking 4 years ago. Do you think they research these things every year???

As a general rule, anything less than 10 years old is recent but you have to take anything published in the last couple of years with a grain of salt because the peer review process takes time. So, a four year old study is great. Older studies are ok for topics that have not been researched recently. Why do you think a study completed only 4 years ago is too old to be of value in this discussion?

I posted another link to a discussion of the data that shows our daughters have higher self confidence and higher educational goals and attainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.