Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
I don't know if the not serving "kids 6 and under" (or whatever it was) is going to work as much as he thinks it is. How will he know that some kid is under six? The tall child who looks 8 might only be 5 (my youngest son). The small child who is 9 might look 6 (my oldest son).

I have see children of TEN throw tantrums. I have seen 7 year olds run all over. I don't think "6" is a magic age. I think he should post a sign specifically regarding behavior: **children are not to be away from the table **Children are not to be disruptive to other tables **After a warning if the same behavior still continues the table will be asked to leave with a full refund unless they have finished their dinner already.

I think that would work better than the age issue. The disruptive behavior could go for some adults too!
That's a good point, but it could lead to some ugly incidents between patrons and management. At least the owner can avoid that--and a further disruption to his other guests. Just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am old now and have zero patience for that crap now.
Senior Discount time usually starts at 4pm. Be sure and look in your local paper for the discount coupons. Servers like to see them at the time they take your order. And check the back of the menu for "Senior Savings" or "Silver Discounts" "Twilight-Years Dinners" or some other term that will make you wonder how you managed to back your car out of the garage and make it to the restaurant.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry, but that just doesn't fly with me. BTW: My DH, son and I had this happen to us last weekend. Little kid standing up in the booth behind ours. My son has long hair and little kid started playing with it. Parents totally ignored little kid. DS, who loves little kids, asked him to please stop it. Parents ignored both my son and their little kid who kept tugging at my DS's hair. DS finally shook his head like some punk rocker gone wild and shocked the kid so much he flopped back down in his seat. Where he should have been in the first place.
OMG, just when I thought I've heard everything. I can't believe someone would think that's acceptable. Unbelievable.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Which is the more disturbing to a dinner in a restaurant: noisy crying children or grown adults talking and laughing loudly either on a cell phone or as a group at a table? Bet the owner doesn't ban the loud adults.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:53 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
Noisy crying children are more annoying IMO. At least the adults can be told to leave without the parents fussing about "you have no right to ban me and my child."

Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Noisy crying children are more annoying IMO. At least the adults can be told to leave without the parents fussing about "you have no right to ban me and my child."
I find the adults more annoying because they should know better and these are the ones more likely to get violent if told to keep it down or get out.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
It is certainly the owner's right to limit service, but his actions leave a bad taste in my mouth. My children were born in the wine country of northern California, and we took them to plenty of very nice restaurants when they were young without incident. I now have children whose palettes appreciate more than pizza and chicken nuggets and who can conduct themselves appropriately in formal situations. So, I think there are benefits to including children when dining in fine restaurants. I will say, though, that we dined early and removed our children immediately if they were disruptive.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Senior Discount time usually starts at 4pm. Be sure and look in your local paper for the discount coupons. Servers like to see them at the time they take your order. And check the back of the menu for "Senior Savings" or "Silver Discounts" "Twilight-Years Dinners" or some other term that will make you wonder how you managed to back your car out of the garage and make it to the restaurant.

I'm old, but not that old, but thank you for the senior tips, I will keep them in mind when i reach that age.......

Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
so it doesn't fly with you---so what?

"Stand up and look over the booth at the people in back of you so I can wave at you and get you all hot and bothered." No.

I repeatedly tried to settle my son down, every time I sat him down, he turned right around again and started waving at the Grandmas, who were keeping it up, even though I asked them to please stop distracting my son because he wouldn't eat. I can't be expected to intervene literally every 2 minutes. Honestly, they were as bad as the kid. Their meal hadn't been served yet, so they entertained themselves by hyping my kid up.

And, I guess its somehow my fault for securing my ds in a highchair, and the waitress takes him out before I can stop her, puts him on the floor and says oh, you don't like that nasty old high chair, do you? Hey, he was off in a flash, after I had secured him in the high chair, and asked the waitress to back off and leave him be, stop hyping him up, guess its all my fault....Oh, wait, I see....its MaryleeII bash time again! Hey, lets bring in the old gang, will I see more of my "friends"? Of course, I couldn't begin to hold a candle in the Perfect Parent Club!
Yes, actually. You can intervene every two minutes, and should. If your child needs intervention that often, intervene. And unless you had fallen victim to the Petrificus Totalis curse a la Neville Longbottom, you had plenty of opportunity to tell the server not to pick up your kid.

As for the Perfect Parent Club...hey, we're not the ones whining about our violent, disrespectful teens. You will know them, as they say, by their fruits.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Which is the more disturbing to a dinner in a restaurant: noisy crying children or grown adults talking and laughing loudly either on a cell phone or as a group at a table? Bet the owner doesn't ban the loud adults.
Or how about the two older teenagers at the sushi restaurant where my spouse and I dined last night who used their chopsticks to play drum solos for fifteen solid minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting