Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My first car was an 83 Camaro--incidentally also my grandfather's car. It was totaled four years later when another car turned left in front of me. It wasn't my fault, but both cars were wrecked in a nearly head-on collision. My four-week-old baby and I were unharmed, despite the front end's being completely squashed, but the other driver had injuries. I'll concede that it's important to think of a car's safety rating and general sturdiness, because sometimes it's the other guy's fault.
True, safety is a key factor for a person finding their first car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
all cars have blinds spots- My teens and I have blind spot mirrors and they are great- pick them up at an auto parts store-
I am sure that the compass is a safe car and will be fine. if it's a gift- let him drive it and see how he does- that is what my nephew will be getting from his father as a hand me down next year. My son was hit in his 4 runner Friday-it's at the shop as we speak getting fixed -his friend is paying for it- he hit him.
This is something that can't be corrected with blind spot mirrors. I drove one of these vehicles and the blind spots are HORRIBLE. The supports on either side of the windshield are double what they are in a normal sedan so you can't see if someone is at a corner of an intersection starting to walk across the street, the side and back windows are very small and since you sit so high up, you can't see smaller cars in the lane next to you. You have to take longer than normal to check these things as a result so you are taking your eyes off the road longer than you should. This is NOT a good car for a new driver--heck, I have been driving for over 30 years and I did not like it at all.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
True, safety is a key factor for a person finding their first car.
Nah not in my books.
I think we somehow assign too much safety to the car.

If we go down that path we would all be driving Volvos.

To me a first car should be cheap.

To me safety comes from attitude and experience. Now the kid does not have experience but they sure have attitude (or is that 'toood?). Having the right attitude I think is the best safety. Are they driving sensibly? Are they looking for other drivers, kids on bikes, little old ladies with shopping trolleys. Do they have the presence of personality to not show off in front of their mates.

At some stage I think they will make mistakes, have an accident. Hopefully not too serious but actually I hope that they do have a close call or two so that they get some reinforcement that the things us oldies tell them are actually true.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:29 PM

212 posts, read 162,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This is something that can't be corrected with blind spot mirrors. I drove one of these vehicles and the blind spots are HORRIBLE. The supports on either side of the windshield are double what they are in a normal sedan so you can't see if someone is at a corner of an intersection starting to walk across the street, the side and back windows are very small and since you sit so high up, you can't see smaller cars in the lane next to you. You have to take longer than normal to check these things as a result so you are taking your eyes off the road longer than you should. This is NOT a good car for a new driver--heck, I have been driving for over 30 years and I did not like it at all.
I have to agree with you about the blind spots, worst I have ever experienced. I am curious to know what she decided to do about her dilemma with this vehicle.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:45 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Time sure are different that's for sure.

When I was a teenager in the 90's, most kids my age had jobs and bought whatever $1K POS they could get their hands on as a first car. I had friends with cars with windows duct-taped up, and door locks that didn't work, and so on. ABS and traction control were just starting to come standard on new cars..let alone the 10 year old junk we got.

Now in 2017, a 16 year old kid getting a car without automatic headlights is a bad thing?

Old 03-12-2017, 11:34 AM

685 posts, read 1,105,503 times
How about no car? Imagine lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting