Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:13 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Had to post this...

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPLWKBWkn3s[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Nailed it!
That's hilarious, Tom Hanks is great.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Nailed it!
Yes, he is. And I hate the "toddler and tiaras" phenomenon as much as your next decent human.

HOWEVER: it seems a little...hmm, not hypocritical, but just a teeny-bit uncomfortable and even callous...to see this video coming from a guy situated basically at the top of the world, judging and scoffing at these desperate, pitiful God-forsaken for wanting to give their kids a chance to what they perceive to be a better, "Tom Hanks" type of lifestyle (rich, famous, glamorous, worry-free, admired, secure) in a horribly insecure, dog-eat-dog world.
It's not like this type of parent will guide their children to build a "better life" through love of algebra and community service. So come on.

Yes, it's a sad world we live in; and these are sad people. They should conceivably be treated with a mixture of "contempt and compassion" by their fellow saner Mortals, but not necessarily be satirized by an Immortal. I guess I would have expected a Higher, More Noble Horse from him.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
I dont think it is sad that they are being , so called "exploited" or being in the public eye. The sad part is they are teaching them to act like white trash, be entertaining which is really just being abnoxious and teach them that bleach colored hair and spray tan will guarantee them to be "pretty"..

When they hit like 10 all that loud mouthing behavior will not be so "cute" or tolerable. In addition, when they get older most of them will not be "hot"...so their entire childhood promise of being the beautiful one will completely screw their head up.

I saw one of those little anna nicoles on The View recently, singing "cutey patooty" or some crap and I cringed the entire time, especially when the whole song bragged on her looks, it even made a child look ugly and gross. Having a child involved in the public is not a prob, but atleast teach them class while doing it.
Nice post.

As for pure pushing and exploitation, I don't think these moms are anything different from the sports- and other extra-curriculum parents; or even from Tiger Moms pushing elite academics on their children. Ultimately they are all motivated by the desire to give their children an advantage in an increasingly competitive and insecure world (OK...maybe mixed with a good dose of narcissism).

Noble? No.
Evolutionist? Yes.

The trouble with the tiara option, compared to the others, is that it is really crass and uses sexuality at a completely inappropriate age to to give that most wanted "leg up".

Old 10-13-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Nailed it!
yes, he did, I think it's amazing, how he bought out the narcississtic behavior in the parents...it might be funny, however, I can't help but wonder, where is the social services for children? We were discussing this yesterday at lunch, and one of the gals told us about a show, and I cannot believe some of those kids are not taken from they're parents...this may be funny, and I laughed, however, think of those poor kids...

I don't know, but I really hope a lot of that show is put on...?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Yes, he is. And I hate the "toddler and tiaras" phenomenon as much as your next decent human.

HOWEVER: it seems a little...hmm, not hypocritical, but just a teeny-bit uncomfortable and even callous...to see this video coming from a guy situated basically at the top of the world, judging and scoffing at these desperate, pitiful God-forsaken for wanting to give their kids a chance to what they perceive to be a better, "Tom Hanks" type of lifestyle (rich, famous, glamorous, worry-free, admired, secure) in a horribly insecure, dog-eat-dog world.
It's not like this type of parent will guide their children to build a "better life" through love of algebra and community service. So come on.

Yes, it's a sad world we live in; and these are sad people. They should conceivably be treated with a mixture of "contempt and compassion" by their fellow saner Mortals, but not necessarily be satirized by an Immortal. I guess I would have expected a Higher, More Noble Horse from him.
I'm sorry, but if you want to give your child a chance, then set them up for college...instill in them from the day they are old enough to be in they're first pagent, that education is the key...don't enter them in these stupid pagents, start an education savings cushion for them. Teach them instead, the awareness of how they're thoughts and feelings effect the lives of so many others, as well as they're choices. Teach them humbleness and gratitude for life, and if they might have it hard, and not live a Tom Hanks life, than they will be stronger for it. Not all of us are meant to live the life of Tom Hanks, just as not all of us are meant to be doctors, lawyers, wives, husbands, and parents....

My take is, that Tom Hanks tried to prove to those who strive to push they're kids into this, is how absurd and abusive it really is, and how he was "not" doing this for the kid. It's un-natural and cruel.

A kid needs to be a kid, not be exploited as a sexaul thing, or to be taught, that her looks will get her everything. Those children are real brats...and told over and over again, how beautiful they are, until one day they will grow up and believe, that they're beauty is all they have. It is by far, the worst thing you can do to a child.
That is superficial, and due to this upbringing, some of these children are going to have a rude awakenings and hard lives.

I had to work ever since I was 13. Yes, I was a very pretty child, and young girl. Had a good childhood, lots of friends, playing outside, kick the tin can, baseball, football, rode horses, worked a farm, milked cows, and accomplished a whole lot...of which I'm greatful for. But do you know what I appreciate the most? An education! Do you know how many kids are hungry for knowledge? Do you realize, how important knowledge is...knowledge in all things, reaching the goal of being confident with who I am, and comfortable in my own skin? Do you know the reality of how important education is, not explointing a kid teaching them that beauty and sex is where it's at....and the key to all they want? Sheesh?

Never been rich, always struggled, but what I have is greatly appreicated...don't have a home like Tom Hanks, never will, and never wanted one...but what I have, is what I've accomplished on my own, and for me, friends, family and life, is so much more challenging and successful...it's because of my friends and family I have made it to where I am today...wouldn't trade my childhood for anything, and do not regret that one chance I had, to model for a living. Not once...those people are just as dog eat dog and will take advantage of any situation, to gain. Man is greedy by nature, and I wouldn't want my child in that world. Don't forget, when Tom Hanks got in to the business, back then, it wasn't as bad, and he is a man. And a man of much respect. He didn't have to fluant his sexuality to get to where he is...

you should have to take a test to be a parent...doing this to your child, well, your fulfilling your own dreams in your child...instead of teaching them all the other important things in life...one of them being, reality.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Just interested to know, what do you think of parents who exploit they're kids like say...for instance, Eden Woods?

I personally think it's very sad, and parents who do this to they're kids, need to be investigated...also, I also feel the same way about sports and the Olympics for children....

What's your take on this?
I find the show very disturbing....almost EVERY child is angry....I find it very sad that these mothers are exploiting these children to satisfy some inner insecurity that THEY have....I think that the children are trying to please the parents...certainly NOT themselves....they seem to have an air of entitlement about them....they seem very confrontational...and very competitive towards their peers....and not just the ones in the pageant....I think these young children are in for a real eye-opener when they grow up, and find that real life does not revolve around their looks, nor how well they sashay and bump and grind on stage.....

Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

Really? That's how you look at it? Tom Hanks comes from a very working class background. He got where he is because of his talent. (And the fact that he works his butt off.) His crews love him (which is the highest compliment I can pay an actor) and he loves to have fun.

Satire at its finest. And having Ron Howard come on at the end? Brilliant. That was terrific fun!

(If you want a "Higher, More Noble Horse" from Tom Hanks I can assure you he is involved in multiple charitable causes. Much of the work he does is one-on-one and he does it without his publicist taking photos.)

Yeah. Love me some Tom Hanks! (Who would laugh his head off at being called an Immortal.)

Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
okay I think these parents that have these little kids in these pagents need to put their values elsewhere . What ever happened to valuing education ? Instead of these pagents . It is a shame that these kids will grow up to think that their looks are everything and their brain is nothing . We do however live in a society where beautiful people are valued over people who have an education and dont look like Barbie . But as for me and mine , I have a degree which I value much more than I would have if gotten a crown as the old saying goes , beauty is skin deep , but dumb is forever .

Old 10-13-2011, 01:16 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:

What, it's not enough that he's saintly, he also has to be high brow and only satirize the correct group of people? He is a satirist. Without that, he wouldn't be able to have achieved what he has. It seems that no American can do enough to win your approval.

It looks like he had a blast. He sure does have his little girl dance moves down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting