Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for the advice. I realize now that I did make a mistake by even creating a rule where one person could name the baby based on gender. As silly as it sounds I really thought I was having a girl, so I didn't really think this sort of situation would come up. Prior to hearing everyone's remarks about it, I thought the name was yucky too, but I was willing to go with it. But since I've had my baby shower, and talked to other people, it seems that the mass consensus is that it just isn't a good name. That I need to name the baby something cute like Jace or Jacob or something. And honestly that is what I would prefer to name the baby. I told him tonight that I just wanted us to compromise--could we come up with lists and exchange names, and that it was important to me that we both like the name. But he got angry and pretty much said "no". He also was very offended. I wish my mom and dad would stay out of it as well, but at the same time I agree with them. The name Clarence is country. I just don't like it. I just don't know how to get him to at least agree to come up with a name we both can tolerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:55 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Hmm.. That's quite the pickle you're in, OP.

Although you guys made an arrangement, and normally I'd say you should uphold your end of the bargain - I can't imagine my husband actually forcing me to go with a name that I really really disliked. I just dont think he'd want me to be that unhappy about something that important. Nor me him, if the situation was reversed.

That was a crazy promise you made. I think this is something you should decide together, to your mutual satisfaction.

Otherwise, tell him he'll have to do all the disciplining, because there's no way you're going to yell "Clarence Lee, go to your room this instant" if the kid's in trouble.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I see it as old fashioned, not country at all.

A young mom at my church named her baby Virgel! Virgle? I don't know how to spell it, but you get the idea.

This reminds me, of all things, an episode of Desperate Housewives where Mike wanted to name the baby Maynard. Susan eventually saw how much it meant to him and went with it. They call him MJ.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hmm.. That's quite the pickle you're in, OP.

Although you guys made an arrangement, and normally I'd say you should uphold your end of the bargain - I can't imagine my husband actually forcing me to go with a name that I really really disliked. I just dont think he'd want me to be that unhappy about something that important. Nor me him, if the situation was reversed.

That was a crazy promise you made. I think this is something you should decide together, to your mutual satisfaction.

Otherwise, tell him he'll have to do all the disciplining, because there's no way you're going to yell "Clarence Lee, go to your room this instant" if the kid's in trouble.
This is how I feel too. The fact that he doesn't care that I hate that name, bothers me. What makes it worse, is that in his extended family it is tradition to name the first boy after the dad. So I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well. He is going around telling everyone this is what the baby's name is going to be, and I'm angry that he won't at least compromise or budge. It's not helping that I'm feeling the pressure from family and friends to not name the baby this name.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
This is how I feel too. The fact that he doesn't care that I hate that name, bothers me. What makes it worse, is that in his extended family it is tradition to name the first boy after the dad. So I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well. He is going around telling everyone this is what the baby's name is going to be, and I'm angry that he won't at least compromise or budge. It's not helping that I'm feeling the pressure from family and friends to not name the baby this name.
you are bothered that he doesn't care that you hate the name, but he is just as bothered that you don't care about the family tradition. Family traditions are hard to break. I'm not sure you should ask him to. This is a tough one.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 PM

My concern is that what my dad said about my son not being able to find jobs, may hold true. He said that names DO matter, and that employers would skip over my son's resume simply because his name sounds too country. I don't know if my dad was just saying that to get me not to name him that, or what. I guess I just need to know that this name is NOT that bad...

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
you are bothered that he doesn't care that you hate the name, but he is just as bothered that you don't care about the family tradition. Family traditions are hard to break. I'm not sure you should ask him to. This is a tough one.
I know. It's horrible, because all of his cousins, brothers etc named their son's after them. And I think he feels slighted that I'm not giving him the same opportunity. What makes it worse, is that currently we are doing an LDR until he relocates out here in two weeks(for his job) and so he's missed out a lot on the pregnancy and already feels "robbed" of that experience. I guess I just don't know what to do. I really just wish he'd at least be willing to compromise. And now I'm embarrassed to tell my parents, "Mom dad sorry I couldn't get him to compromise looks like the name will be Clarence" I know they are going to cringe--just like everyone else did at the babyshower.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
My brother-in-law has a redonkulously old-fashioned family name, and everybody calls him Trey, which means three. (He's the third one with that name.)

Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
My concern is that what my dad said about my son not being able to find jobs, may hold true. He said that names DO matter, and that employers would skip over my son's resume simply because his name sounds too country. I don't know if my dad was just saying that to get me not to name him that, or what. I guess I just need to know that this name is NOT that bad...
Clarence Lee does sound country to me. Clarence on it's own does not. Most people don't put their middle name on a resume so I don't think it's an issue. I kind of like the name Clarence. It's different but it's still a classic name that's been around forever.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Another suggestion: maybe your son's father will budge on the middle name, which you can call your son. If it starts with a J, like Clarence Jacob, that will give him the initials C.J., which are nice for a boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting