Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times

Advertisements

Yeah I agree. There doesn't seem to be any involvement in sexual gratification or touching of private parts. So I don't know why it's considered a sex offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
This is all a very slippery slope to me. What's going to be considered sex offender worthy now? A bunch of guys in the showers after sports practice and someone slaps a younger kid on the butt and teases him? Is that now criminal sexual contact punishable by a lifetime membership to the sex offender registry? Is it bullying? Is it just guys being guys?
It's a slippery slope to me too. If the guy had just held his butt up near the face (fully clothed) and farted, perhaps it would have just been a jerky act of bullying. Having a bare butt (and all the sexual parts nearby when your butt is bare) smashed in the face of a younger kid crosses the line into something more for me.

It's a hard call. Teens usually don't have their brains fully wired in such a way that they can think through the consequences fully. Yet, they're very capable physically of committing horrible acts against each other that may cause years of emotional trauma to the victim. And if the younger, smaller kid (the victim in this instance) feels it as an act of degradation involving sexual parts and anuses, it makes it even worse. A lifetime on the sex offender registry seems like too much. A slap on the wrist isn't nearly enough. Maybe a 10 year probation to see if these guys do straighten out their behavior would be appropriate.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I think those little creeps should have the sh*t kicked out them. That is disgusting, humiliating and BS behavior.

That said to be registered as sexual offenders for the rest of their lives is criminal and I agree 100% this is stupid.
I agree about them getting those same a$$es kicked really hard would be more fitting *BUT* that aint gonna happen in today's world. The big brother or father that did it - and properly extracted justice for what these two did - would be in far more trouble than the perps.

That being said, I think that a lifetime registration is just. People, kids included, need to learn that the consequences of cruel or stupid actions can sometimes reach far beyond the moment.

I saw this same thing done to younger/smaller kids when I was in HS and thought that it was unnecessarily cruel. No one was laughing except for the jocks involved and their friends.

Justice has been done and in a way that the kids will not soon forget. I think some jail time where a 300 lb Bubba was sitting on their face while they tossed his salad would have been fitting too, but since that didn't happen...

Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
One thing I can tell you: Fifty years ago any "kid" who did this would have been considered a pervert. He would probably have been thrown into Juvy and his parents would have been ashamed to show their faces in public.

Times change.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:50 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Should they receive punishment? Of course. Should they be considered registered sex offenders? Hell no.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:12 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
That being said, I think that a lifetime registration is just. People, kids included, need to learn that the consequences of cruel or stupid actions can sometimes reach far beyond the moment.
So, these kids at the age of 14 after doing something stupid, but not uncommon and without the intent of sexuality deserve to have their ENTIRE lives essentially ruined over the incident? Christ, we let juveniles who KILL or RAPE people walk free at 18 after being "rehabbed". How does a prank somehow justify a lifelong consequence, especially one that carries such a strong stigma.

Quote:
I saw this same thing done to younger/smaller kids when I was in HS and thought that it was unnecessarily cruel. No one was laughing except for the jocks involved and their friends.
Proving my point that it is quite common and has been going on for a long time. Obviously you think the "jocks" deserved some consequence for doing it, but you would honestly go so far as to label each and every one of them a sex offender?

Quote:
Justice has been done and in a way that the kids will not soon forget. I think some jail time where a 300 lb Bubba was sitting on their face while they tossed his salad would have been fitting too, but since that didn't happen...
Justice hasn't been done, the punishment in no way fits the "crime". This is a perversion of justice and one that will destroy the lives of two young boys before they even get started.

As for the rest, you can't seriously think that what these kids did deserves them being actually sexually assaulted do you?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Where is the description of what happened by the 12 year old boys? I just see the side of the 14 year olds. Are the 12 year olds' parents shocked by the ruling? I'm not sure forcibly making someone else lick your ***hole is just horseplay. What if your neighbor came over and did that to you? Would you just laugh it off? The difference between 50 years ago and now is that we recognize that even kids deserve to be treated with respect. Maybe 50 years ago the victims' family would have found the other kid in an alley and sent him to the hospital and that would have been called justice.
The sentence is harsh, but this is no innocent victim we are talking about.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:24 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
What were the original charges? I know some incidents get aggressively prosecuted, but I wonder how severe this "horseplay" actually was for it to result in a criminal trial for one kid? Doesn't sound like a mere bunch of goofing around if that was the end result.

I worry about laws that are too all encompassing and end up penalizing people that they were never intended to be used against. It sounds like these kids fall under that category.

But - I wouldn't just classify this as a bunch of boys will be boys shennanigans. The original act seems pretty heinous - when you start touching younger kid's faces with your bare ass, you are inviting a whole lot of sexual misconduct trouble. If they had done this to a girl, they'd be in really deep poo. I can't see how humiliating a younger boy in this way is any less than assault.

I don't care that it's been around for a long time, it's really a horrible and disrespectful way to treat other human beings, especially those you feel you can intimidate with your boorishness.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Are the 12 year olds' parents shocked by the ruling? I'm not sure forcibly making someone else lick your ***hole is just horseplay.
I read the article and I cannot find where it said this happened...

Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
So, these kids at the age of 14 after doing something stupid, but not uncommon and without the intent of sexuality deserve to have their ENTIRE lives essentially ruined over the incident? Christ, we let juveniles who KILL or RAPE people walk free at 18 after being "rehabbed". How does a prank somehow justify a lifelong consequence, especially one that carries such a strong stigma.
There's a serious flaw in our "justice" system (actually a system of laws with nearly zero "justice") that allows any killer or rapist to ever walk free again. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Quote:
Proving my point that it is quite common and has been going on for a long time. Obviously you think the "jocks" deserved some consequence for doing it, but you would honestly go so far as to label each and every one of them a sex offender?
Yep, I would. It's a tough lesson, but I'll bet they won't be doing it again - which shold be the point of any punishment - to deter recurrance of the offense. Do you feel that because it's common it should be minimized? Then let's all start robbing banks and soon it won't even be a crime, right?

Quote:
Justice hasn't been done, the punishment in no way fits the "crime". This is a perversion of justice and one that will destroy the lives of two young boys before they even get started.
Justice has been done. People are just used to the idea that "justice" involves a slap on the wrist, community service at worst, and maybe a smalll fine. These boys chose to commit acts which resulted in their lives being altered. I don't imagine anyone was holding a gun to their head when their pants were coming down while the victims were held helpless.

Quote:
As for the rest, you can't seriously think that what these kids did deserves them being actually sexually assaulted do you?
Actually, again, yes. They sexually assaulted someone weaker than they were and stuck their smelly behinds in that victim's face, thinking it was funny. Bubba could stick his big stinky behind in their face and then they could see how much fun it is when on the bottom. That's justice - a leveling of the scale.

They just need to alter their ambitions a bit. They could have wonderful careers in the food service industry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting