Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My initial reaction to seeing this would be....
Very positive 19 25.68%
Positive 13 17.57%
Neutral 26 35.14%
Negative 9 12.16%
Very Negative 7 9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, the population of the US grew over 9% during the last decade. Some states saw increases of over 20%. Only one state, Michigan, saw an actual decline in the total population.
The American people as a whole are not reproducing at high rates. The big leap in population was not due to the American people who actually reproduce at replacement levels, it's very massive levels of immigration and the high reproductive rates of them.

Americans are already at a fairly static reproductive rate. Many people prefer to remain childless - which is good for them, many want one or two children - which is good for them. Really there are not all that many people who want and can afford 6 or 7 kids, so few people go that route but as long as they can afford them -- fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
But, I swear, those w/ larger families, the kids always seem to be so helpful & pretty to very well behaved. I get jealous of that part.
With my children's godmother's family, I noticed that their children are very well behaved because the parents are consistent with solid rules and consequences.

There's no grey area for their kids. It simply has to be that way or it would be utter chaos with all of those children.

And honestly, all parents should be consistent, but it's harder to do when it's not a matter of parenting survival. LOL

Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM

973 posts, read 2,140,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I heard that too, when my kids were younger,
because they are extremely close in age (although, as yours, very good kids).

I saw somewhere that a good response is "I'd rather have my hands full than empty"
but then I worried about offending people who couldn't have kids, have lost kids, etc.

I certainly know what you mean, though.
Me too, mine are 12 1/2 mos apart in age. lol I got preggo when my 1st was 4 mos, on birth control, only one chance to 'get preggo'. lol The funny part is mine were both due 9/30, 1 year apart, but both were early.

I still get 'twins' (mine are 1/4" apart in height & 2lbs in weight) , both tall & thin w/ brown eyes & blond/e hair (one boy, one girl) . =)

I also got 'how do you do it?' all the time too. lol I'd just smile. I'd say to my friends 'I do it because I have to', or 'what other choice do I have?'. That's not meant meanly, just practically. I can't just NOT do it. lol

&, I had to lol at the extremely. I was like that w/ mine too. I always lol'ed when my friends lemented about 'close' age kids they had that were 2 years apart, or even 20 mos. Night & day. My son didn't walk full time until he was 17 mos, so I had to carry both kids through one of the worst winters Ohio had seen in awhile. lol & I got out everyday, just because I 'had' to. =)

Sorry, hijacked the thread. I already answered the question. I see kids dressed nicely here alot, in khaki's or dresses. The lady across the street from me has a 7yo boy, a 4 or 3yo boy, a 3 or 2yo boy (I'm not exactly sure on ages lol) , & a newborn girl. =P & 4 is the norm here. I had mine close, & got fixed afterwards. lol

Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Let's say this scenario occurs:

You are walking back to your car with your cart from the grocery store. Parked next to you is a large conversion van. You see six children, ranging in age from approximately 3 to 15, obviously from the same parents, walking out to the conversion van. You also see the father, who is in khaki pants and a polo shirt, pushing the cart, along with the mother, who appears to be pregnant with another child. The three oldest children load the bags of groceries into the van.

What is your initial gut reaction?
I really hope that ain't me in 15 years.

If you want a large family and can support that all by yourself, cool. Not my thing.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Interesting. The average family (for Caucasian) is probably 2-3 kids, and other ethnicity such as Asian, Hispanic, African-American and Somalis (and others) are probably 5-6 kids.
Before you spread lies, you might want to do some research. Black Americans and Asians have similar fertility rates to their white counterparts (2-3 kids). Why you think non-whites are producing like rabbits is an ignorant and racist assumption.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,396,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Before you spread lies, you might want to do some research. Black Americans and Asians have similar fertility rates to their white counterparts (2-3 kids). Why you think non-whites are producing like rabbits is an ignorant and racist assumption.
Lie? Ignorant? Racist? I guess I'm a racist and ignorant person because I don't have statistics. Statistics don't help you. It only gives you a glimpse of what you want to see, not what don't see in everyday life. I live and experience that part of my everyday life.

Last edited by ho hey!; 07-23-2011 at 05:23 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 05:18 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I live in predominantly white region. My specific township is 98% white as are surrounding townships. Large families are not rare here. Granted, most families have 2-4 children, but the families with 5-6+ children aren't odd here.

My children's Godmother comes from a family of 18 children. Of her brothers and sisters, she had the smallest family with 7 children, who this year alone gave her an additional 8 grandchildren (one birth was multiples) with another on the way. I can't even remember how many grandchildren she has---probably around 25 because her children are still in their 20s, just starting thier families. Her parents easily have over 150 grandchildren because a few of her sisters have had over 10 children. This is not an uneducated, low intelligence, low income family. Not by a long shot. (All her children have bachelors degrees, two have masters degrees, one finished law school, and one is in medical school.) They all just love big families because they came from big families.
What, I guess they should get a gold star because they are super breeders.
I really don't care what people do, but I do tend to avoid areas that are overcrowded or high population growth/ very high birth rate (Utah).

Old 07-23-2011, 05:26 PM

385 posts, read 858,781 times
hahaha, I think nothing of large families, my Dad had 32 brothers and sisters, my Mom had 4 brothers and 5 sisters, I have 2 sisters and 1 brother, Grandad must of been trying to repopulate the tribe all by himself hahaha, me, I have 1 son and 1 daughter, wife has 1 son and we're working on 1 of our own and that will be the last for me.
We're a tight family tree, and most of them folks still believe in a good feud now and then, and not one of them likes to watch the grass grow if you get my meaning.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:26 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Lie? Ignorant? Racist? Statistics don't help you. It only gives you a glimpse of what you don't see in everyday life. I live and experience that part of my everyday life.
Perhaps regionally ... In Hopes's area, families are very large and almost all white. I can't copy the links at the moment, but I'm looking at Census and CDC stats, and average family sizes are about the same regardless of race. Certainly not twice as large or more, except perhaps in small areas. If it were widespread the averages would be way off.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:32 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
^
Hopes also didn't indicate what region of the country he is from, but the word "township" would generally indicate a state in the eastern US most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting