Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:53 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayshow View Post
I am a guilty party in the weird name game. I named my son RYLIN J....no middle name just J. There was alot of symbolisim in it but at 17 he is now going with his father (my X) to change it to Ryan Jay...
RYLIN? We compramised = I am a Collins, The LIN was my way of giving him a piece of my name.
J? Well now = Janae introduced his father and I, Jayanna was my best friend who forced us back together during a rough time and temporarily saved my marrage, which is why he's even alive today, and yeah well, Im gonna say it, Jesus ok.....

I have had a miracle child in my 40's, my now 4 yr old girl and her name is Aaralynn...my way of putting "Rylin" in her name....I guess Im an ecentric sentimental fool....but I will say the one thing I love about this country is the freedom to do sappy sentimental things like that.

Now a child named GOOGLE? Thats just child abuse. lol

I think Rylin sounds quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Huh?? lol
This name choice is obviously designed to mess up those adressing the child.

As a teacher, I do my best to pronounce unique names often apologizing in advance and asking for assistance. Many kids are truly annoyed that you don't automatically know how to pronounce a name that doesn't follow any vowel/consonant blends in the English language (not talking about foreign names).

Many times the spelling of the name appears to be phonetic.

I believe the US used to have an approved name list until about 20 years ago or so.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

I believe the US used to have an approved name list until about 20 years ago or so.
WHAT? No such approved name list has ever existed and where you got this idea is baffling. Now, there have always been lists of most popular names every year but nobody has ever had to check with a list for approved names. And if this ever happens I'm out of here and I won't be alone.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
WHAT? No such approved name list has ever existed and where you got this idea is baffling. Now, there have always been lists of most popular names every year but nobody has ever had to check with a list for approved names. And if this ever happens I'm out of here and I won't be alone.
Unfortunately, NZ was at the top of my list for places to go when this country goes completely to crap...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I just find it very interesting that a poster who proclaims that he doesn't like the government interfering in people's lives, would think that it is ok for the government to veto baby names. I'm betting this same poster doesn't think the government should interfere in feeding the hungry or providing health care, but would be perfectly ok with the government deciding who a person can marry and whether or not a woman can terminate a pregnancy, but that's off topic.

the poster who thinks that a 6 year old should be able to pick their own name is free to take that child down to the court house and legally change that child's name to whatever the child wants. I'm not sure if he's saying a law should be passed that we all need to do that, or what. I'm also not sure why he thinks a 6 year old could come up with a better or more adult name than the parent came up with in the first place. I don't think a lot of kids are made fun of for their names before the age of 6 anyway, so the chances of the kid knowing he has an idiotic name are pretty slim anyway.
Er, okay, you just plucked assumptions out of nowhere. Maybe you should take up a career as a stage Magician?

I said that because most kids would not change their name. So most of the damage has already been done by the time they're say 14 or something.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I remember when Grace Slick named her new baby girl "God" which was thought by some a bit presumptuous. Then she backed of a bit and re-named her "The United States of America". Finaly she settled for something the child could actualy live with and named her "China".

Old 01-18-2012, 08:34 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Er, okay, you just plucked assumptions out of nowhere. Maybe you should take up a career as a stage Magician?

I said that because most kids would not change their name. So most of the damage has already been done by the time they're say 14 or something.
I wasn't talking about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting