Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I can't see a problem with banning some names, Who would wanted to be called S**t? . I knew of an Evil (for real) a few years ago, the ban mustn't have been in place then. Duke is an odd one though, considering Earl is common, and they are both titles.
How about Evel? There was a famous daredevil with that name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
How about Evel? There was a famous daredevil with that name.
That was an assumed name though..the name his parents gave him was Robert.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:10 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
I strongly support New Zealand on this issue. This silliness must stop.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:14 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a lovely girls name in Brazil, which is spelled Railde. To the English ear, it sounds like "high-yooj". So, if Railde can call herself Hayooj, there is no reason Margaret can't be pronounced Caroline.
What you hear as ""high-yooj" is nothing but Railde peonounced the Brazilian way, ie: with a guttural R and a D that almost sounds like a CH. So nothing like Margaret and Caroline.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
I don't care what parents name their kids, and I don't think that any government should either. It's the kids I feel sorry for, who have to live with ridiculous parents who either can't spell, or have no clue what they are doing to their children when they stick them with an outrageous moniker.

One little old grandma cracked me up in the ER. She walked in and asked her daughter what the baby girl's name was. "Shaniqua", replied the new mother proudly. "That's pretty stupid," said Grandma. "Your husband, my son, was named Daniel, and he couldn't spell it til the second grade. How long do you think it will take for your daughter to learn to spell HER name?"

Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I don't care what parents name their kids, and I don't think that any government should either. It's the kids I feel sorry for, who have to live with ridiculous parents who either can't spell, or have no clue what they are doing to their children when they stick them with an outrageous moniker.

One little old grandma cracked me up in the ER. She walked in and asked her daughter what the baby girl's name was. "Shaniqua", replied the new mother proudly. "That's pretty stupid," said Grandma. "Your husband, my son, was named Daniel, and he couldn't spell it til the second grade. How long do you think it will take for your daughter to learn to spell HER name?"
If I had a son, I would name him Jesus. It is not fair that the Mexicans can use that name and we can't!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
If it means less trauma for the kids then I agree 100%!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:46 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Too many P-heads here and other drug users

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
In the final analysis, I guess the law can control what parents name their kids if they want to. But the poor kid is still stuck with the yahoo parent who would have named him or her something stupid.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:33 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Thought that dumb hippy movement had ended - name your dog something stupid - name your child something that will assist the kid in life - not happer them - to lable a kid with a wacky name or title..is selfish...Look at Michael Jackson - he treated his artifical kids like they were pets..and named then as such - be kind to your kids and call them something NORMAL - and beautiful....wait a sec....Normal ....."He Normal..better wake up and get ready for school"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting