Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Anyone see this?

The RidicuList – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
Anderson Cooper analyzes why a man changed his name to Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, inevitably earning himself a place on the RidicuList.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
Just curious.......my daughter's name is Trinitee is this considered a "weird" name?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Just curious.......my daughter's name is Trinitee is this considered a "weird" name?
In my opinion, yes, but it's not in the realm of bizarre. Trinity is not a common name, and you spelled it differently. By definition, that's unusual. I would have lumped it with more old-fashioned "virtue" names like Felicity, Chastity, Constance, etc. (although it doesn't really qualify as a virtue or character trait), but the double E bumped it back out a little.

It's different but not super weird. I am willing to give little Trinitee the benefit of a doubt and regard her as more of a Felicity than a Destiny.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Haha! I did-one of my friends lives local to Mr. Zopitybop-bop-bop.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I don't consider "Shaniqua" to be a good example, since it is a pretty common African-American name. While some of the other African-American names are a bit out there...D'Brickashaw anyone?..there are others that are distinctly cultural and that's no different than any other non-European ethnic names. As for giving a kid a name that they can spell, that's what nicknames are for. My two daughters are named Kalinda and Anjali, but they go by their nicknames of Kali and Anji. I gave my children names that I found to be beautiful and had meaning and I am not going to worry about whether or not they conform to anything. Please note that it doesn't mean that I will name a kid something whimsical or nonsensical, it just means that there are many non-Euro names out there that are "unsual" and "weird" but they do have meaning and are lovely.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I think that original names can be quite nice. But some go a bit overboard-

Ex: In the book I'm reading (by Janet Evanovich), one of the minor characters is named LaHonka. Now that is one ugly sounding name - LOL.

I doubt that any real person actually has that name.... but now that it's been suggested in a book it's probably just a matter of time before someone names their little girl or boy - LaHonka.

The second born will be named LaBeep.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Not too long ago, a couple had their kids taken away. The kids' names? Aryan Nation and Adolf Hitler!
Those kids were not taken away because of their names.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Who is to decide what is or is not a "weird" name? Not the governments business in the slightest.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I fully agree with that!! As much as I do not like government intrusion into personal decisions, we need that law here. There should be a list of approved names and if you want a name not on that list, you should have to apply to have the name added to it.
Why do you think the govt needs to intrude in this area, of all possible areas for it to intrude? Who should get to decide what is on the approved list?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Who is to decide what is or is not a "weird" name? Not the governments business in the slightest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Why do you think the govt needs to intrude in this area, of all possible areas for it to intrude? Who should get to decide what is on the approved list?
I am not a big fan of censorship. But there are 2 reasons I can think of off the top of my head where people could perhaps get a bit of advice before choosing unusual names, and I don't think these are reasons to prevent names, but certainly worth considering.

1) DH has a last name with specific spelling conventions. The first letter of his last name is spelt with a lower case letter, and there is a space too. It is nigh impossible to have his name spelt correctly in all the places it needs to be. It is even more complicated once you start using names with 30 letters, or adding numerals or special characters.

2) When I worked as a midwife, I had many, many, many, many, many conversations with women who were in the midst of choosing names. During those discussions I can't tell you how many times people inadvertantly nearly chose names that were due to incorrect spelling, or without knowing their meaning, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting