Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,775,255 times

Advertisements

At 18? Don't forget some people kick teenagers and preteens out.

Anyhow, to explain it, in our culture, people are raised to be independent which is actually a good thing. However, a lot of people don't realize how rapidly our earning power is changing and how it's taking much longer to become independent these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,775,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Some people have higher goals then an average middle class person.

Just look at all the multi-millionaires in USA, they aren't in any rat race. Being rich is about freedom to me not materialistic things. I can help out the poor too.

You have more time with family and friends if you are rich.
Not necessarily. Some of those six-figure jobs are notorious for chaining people to the office indefinitely.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,369,190 times
My kids were moved out by 18. Three of them dropped out of highschool and moved in with their children's other parent at 17. One went to college out of stat. My oldest moved back for a few months due to some health. My step-son is currently living with us due to flooding. Hopefully within the next couple of months he will be a homeowner.

Because of my ex's income our oldest daughter was ineligible for student loans. She got some merit scholarships and scholarships thru our places of employment. We paid the rest and she had a part time job. Three of our children are homeowners.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:50 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,713,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Not necessarily. Some of those six-figure jobs are notorious for chaining people to the office indefinitely.
But its well worth it in the long run.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,776,198 times
Quote:
Again you are incredibly naive. These ultra rich people-except those who inherited money- work incredible long hours, are away from home, miss most of their kid's lives and accomplishments, end up losing their marriages and even their families, have multiple marriages and admit all the material things cost them way more than their value.

So where in a 16 hour day at work do these folks have time to be with their kids and families? It is so competitive out there that they are constantly trying to come up with the next best idea, widget, etc.

How old are you?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
Quote:
That is clearly a matter of opinion, not fact. Many people would trade more money for more time with their families. From reading your posts you seem to live in a very black and white world. Reality is somewhere in the middle.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,594,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Again you are incredibly naive. These ultra rich people-except those who inherited money- work incredible long hours, are away from home, miss most of their kid's lives and accomplishments, end up losing their marriages and even their families, have multiple marriages and admit all the material things cost them way more than their value.

So where in a 16 hour day at work do these folks have time to be with their kids and families? It is so competitive out there that they are constantly trying to come up with the next best idea, widget, etc.

How old are you?
In Fairy Tale Land, 25 of these Parasites avoid $4 Billion a year because of the Bush Tax Cuts. That's money you and I will have to make up. Talk about Naive

Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,755,318 times
Quote:
You are very young. Many of those who worked long hours can tell you that it was NOT worth it in the long run.

No one ever says on their deathbed that they wish they had spent more time working, but many people regret not having spent time enjoying their family and friends.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,364,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
At 18? Don't forget some people kick teenagers and preteens out.

Anyhow, to explain it, in our culture, people are raised to be independent which is actually a good thing. However, a lot of people don't realize how rapidly our earning power is changing and how it's taking much longer to become independent these days.
There really IS a segment of our society that kicks their kids out at 18. But I've only seen it happen in lower class families.

These are people who look upon their children as a financial drain, and never think of ways to improve their chances for success or even consider it their parental duty. That's why those families struggle financially over generations, never getting ahead.

I once read that a researcher said "Show me the socioeconomic status of a family, and I'll tell you how successful the children will be."

Studies have also concluded it's takes a lot longer for a family to rise socioeconomically over generations than previously thought.

The truth is that money is only part of it. A parent in a higher socioeconomic group tends to put more time and effort into seeing to it that their child has as many opportunities as possible. Whereas, lower socioeconomic groups tend to expend less effort.

As an example, I live in the mountains in an area that part resort and part rural. We have two different socioeconomic groups bumping up against each other here. On a local message board, one rural woman who is married to a man who didn't finish high school was talking about her children finishing high school. Someone brought up college and she said "Oh, if they want to go to college, that's on them!"

Granted, she can't afford to send them. But it would never occur to her to research opportunities. She would never think of looking into loans. She would never think of researching even non-college technical education. She doesn't even see it as something a parent does.

Needless to say, her children are probably going to flounder around more than children whose parents have been hands-on and involved in helping their child to make smart choices.

So a lot of this discussion leaves out family differences.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,713,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

How old are you?
The ultra rich people became rich by successful businesses, stocks, real estate and careful spending. To be successful, sometimes you have to sacrifice other stuff to gain something. A lot of the rich folks came from middle class families also. I am not saying be a work slave all your life but do it for a few years. The more money you have, the easier it gets.

Its much easier to become a multi millionaire then to just become a millionaire. Most Americans are in a rat race.

Do you think immigrants come here to start a family first? No!
American is the land of opportunity.

Last edited by Texas User; 07-26-2011 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting