Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm going to add to this: Some persons seem to think parents are using some overblown sense of entitlement because they bring their kids grocery shopping, or to the laundrette, or where ever else these persons find them irritating. But I would say the persons that expect some kind of blissful, quiet environment in a grocery store - so they can swan about doing their errands in peace without being bothered by the mere presence of children - are the ones acting entitled.

You are not guaranteed a stress free existence, whether you have kids or not.

And if it bothers you that much that a child is acting like a child, then take some positive action yourself and get an iPod, or shop at night, for gawd's sake. People with children generally don't have as many options as those who don't. If you go grocery shopping at 2PM on a Saturday expecting a serene experience then I've got zero sympathy for you.
This. Exactly.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
For heavens sake,

I have seen noone on this thread demanding perfect peace and quiet everywhere they go. All I've seen are people trying (very patiently) to explain that some semblence of it should be part of the social contract and kept to a minimum by parents. What part of "disturbing the peace" don't some of you get ?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post

Moreover, I think that those who are paying hard earned money for a service (whether restaurant, laundromat or whatever) deserve an immediate refund when the owner or manager refuses to confront said person creating deafening disturbance requiring them to remove said disturbance from the premises in the interest of the rest of the customers who did not ask to have their eardrums shattered during the course of routine errands.

Heck, the next time I go to that laundromat and nothing is done about the noise levels, you can bet I'm saying something to the owner, AND not only that, demanding compensations for hearing loss tests from the parents.

And this is to the poster who said she wouldn't remove her child from a store for "happy" noises, those "noises" can be just as ear-splitting to the rest of the shoppers as tantrums sometimes worse. There is nothing cute about high pitched squeals.

If we are all to share this space, then the needs of all need to be considered. No ones needs to be in public should trump the needs of anyone else in said space.
If a little kid's squealing, "Oh wow, oh wow" (I assume that's what you meant by the happy noises reference) really bothers you to the point where you think it shatters your ear drums and causes hearing loss, I think you should invest in some earplugs. The amount of daily noise people normally encounter must drive you insane--traffic, honking, ringing telephones, etc.

My daughter actually lost about 80% of her ear drum due to an infection. Tympanoplasty costs in the vicinity of $5,000. Count your blessings.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If a little kid's squealing, "Oh wow, oh wow" (I assume that's what you meant by the happy noises reference) really bothers you to the point where you think it shatters your ear drums and causes hearing loss, I think you should invest in some earplugs. The amount of daily noise people normally encounter must drive you insane--traffic, honking, ringing telephones, etc.

My daughter actually lost about 80% of her ear drum due to an infection. Tympanoplasty costs in the vicinity of $5,000. Count your blessings.
It isn't that which I've tried over and over to get across. I am speaking of the ear splitting shrieking that goes on unabated.

And yes I do also hate excessive noise. Our world is now inundated with it. Everything just has to beep, squeak, squawk or make any other of a multitude of noises these days. That's why there are more and more internet cites fighting for reduction of the noise that is polluting peoples lives and endangering health at the same time.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear about your daughter's ear!

I agree with you here Julia, in fact, these posts about "EXPLODING EARDRUMS", caused by a child's squeals, had me shaking my head. I mean, come on! If a child was in your arms, or hanging over your shoulder, yes...likely that could cause some discomfort...but explode your eardrums? Not likely! Heaven help the overdramatic person such as this who encounters a car driving down the road with a bearing squealing, brakes on the car squealing, a squeaky power steering or fan belt...? Good thing they DON'T own their own washing machine and dryer. They can be so... well damaging to a sensitive person's ear drums.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
It isn't that which I've tried over and over to get across. I am speaking of the ear splitting shrieking that goes on unabated.

And yes I do also hate excessive noise. Our world is now inundated with it. Everything just has to beep, squeak, squawk or make any other of a multitude of noises these days. That's why there are more and more internet cites fighting for reduction of the noise that is polluting peoples lives and endangering health at the same time.
If you don't already have tinnitus....heaven help you once you get it...constant squealing or buzzing or ringing in your ears....24/7. Incidentally...tinnitus isn't a NEW development, which all of a sudden sprung up after the industrial revolution...it's been around for HUNDREDS of years. Noise happens!! It always has and always will.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:29 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
It's obvious you subscribe to the "everyone who doesn't like their ear drums being made to explode should just stay home if they don't like it" mentality.

Excuse me, there was NOTHING ok with that clueless Duhd ignoring his childs piercing screams while he played on his cell phone. Nothing.

So you're saying that his childs need to scream trumped every other customers right to peace and quiet while doing a chore that nobody likes ? Interesting. Who has the entitlement mentality here ?

Again, your child does not have the right to cause someone else hearing loss.

Also, in case you didn't realize it, not everyone can afford to just go out and buy a washing machine. That's why we have laundromats. Just because you can't afford one doesn't mean you deserve (by virtue of being poor) to have your eardrums shattered.
Yeah, you don't know me very well.

Here's the thing, if you are so sensitive that you cannot handle the everyday motions of going through life with other people in it, then it's up to YOU to make changes, not everybody else.

There is no "customer's right to peace and quiet". Sorry.

People should prevent their children from causing other people distress. There are a few parents that don't, and that sucks. But the reality is that kids do not have fully formed impulse control or emotional control and will outburst at the most inconvenient moment. Nobody can guarantee you peace and quiet, outside of your own castle on a mountain.

If that's too harsh a reality for you, then you need to adjust your expectations and create a world where you limit your exposure. Instead of going and demanding payment for hearing loss tests, figure out a way to do your laundry in the least disturbing way.

There's a middle ground here. But this
Quote:
And this is to the poster who said she wouldn't remove her child from a store for "happy" noises, those "noises" can be just as ear-splitting to the rest of the shoppers as tantrums sometimes worse. There is nothing cute about high pitched squeals.
is just as extreme an attitude as that of the parents who let their kids scream unmercifully.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:

I agree that noise can be very upsetting; I get irritated by constant noise too. I wouldn't enjoy living in a city for that reason. If I had my wish, we'd live in the woods. But have you ever seen My Cousin Vinny? He goes to stay in a cabin to get away from the noise, and howling wolves and hooting owls keep him up all night. I don't think there's anywhere to really get away from everything, unless you have an isolation chamber.

You seem to be a pretty plain-spoken person. Why didn't you confront the dad? Or say something to the girl? "Sweetie? SWEETIE. Yes, you. Please stop screaming. It's bothering the rest of us. Thank you!" Her dad might have gotten mad, but sometimes speaking up feels so much nicer than seething in bitter silence.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
For heavens sake,

I have seen noone on this thread demanding perfect peace and quiet everywhere they go. All I've seen are people trying (very patiently) to explain that some semblence of it should be part of the social contract and kept to a minimum by parents. What part of "disturbing the peace" don't some of you get ?
grocery stores aren't supposed to be peaceful. An nice restaurant, maybe. gut malls, grocery stores, etc. are places that everyone with kids or without has to go at some point. I think most parents try to teach their kids how to behave in these places, and I think most of them do pretty well. All I'm saying is I'm not going to drop everything and leave because my child makes a noise. People need to have some common sense and some common courtesy on both sides.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yeah, you don't know me very well.

Here's the thing, if you are so sensitive that you cannot handle the everyday motions of going through life with other people in it, then it's up to YOU to make changes, not everybody else.

There is no "customer's right to peace and quiet". Sorry.

People should prevent their children from causing other people distress. There are a few parents that don't, and that sucks. But the reality is that kids do not have fully formed impulse control or emotional control and will outburst at the most inconvenient moment. Nobody can guarantee you peace and quiet, outside of your own castle on a mountain.

If that's too harsh a reality for you, then you need to adjust your expectations and create a world where you limit your exposure. Instead of going and demanding payment for hearing loss tests, figure out a way to do your laundry in the least disturbing way.

There's a middle ground here. But this is just as extreme an attitude as that of the parents who let their kids scream unmercifully.
Yes, but then it all boils down to consideration doesn't it? It's also horribly reminiscent of people who go about holding signs, chanting and screaming loudly about "noise pollution", doesn't it?

It's ironic...the most inconsiderate people I've met, are people who are constantly whining about how inconsiderate others are. It turns out, they're only worried about how considerate others are to THEM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting