Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you ever volunteer? Offer to watch the kids (for free) in case of emergency?

Or is your policy "Pay Me"? Because that seems kind cold to tell you the truth.

I've taken in strangers' as well as family members' children in an emergency or even to raise for awhile (sometimes years) for free (I took no money from Social Services or the parents), what part of "foster children" don't you understand?

I was speaking to the topic of babysitting... people who have children and expect gramma to step in and substitute for a day care service just because they don't want to pay someone are the cold ones - and selfish to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

I've taken in strangers' as well as family members' children in an emergency or even to raise for awhile (sometimes years) for free (I took no money from Social Services or the parents), what part of "foster children" don't you understand?

I was speaking to the topic of babysitting... people who have children and expect gramma to step in and substitute for a day care service just because they don't want to pay someone are the cold ones - and selfish to boot.
In my state foster parents get money from the state to off set expenses for the children in their care.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
2 days a week is full time?
I was referring to delfina007 who started the thread up again. It sounds like she is watching her grandkid full time. I didn't even bother reading about the various situations from 2011 since I don't see the point in replying to something that old.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I think there is a big difference between asking family for an occasional favor and expecting them to provide full time free day care. I just can't imagine asking my parents to provide full time child care. When my kids were born my parents lived 10 minutes away, and it never crossed my mind that they should watch them all day every day. They volunteered to watch them once/week.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think there is a big difference between asking family for an occasional favor and expecting them to provide full time free day care. I just can't imagine asking my parents to provide full time child care. When my kids were born my parents lived 10 minutes away, and it never crossed my mind that they should watch them all day every day. They volunteered to watch them once/week.
I think it doesn't even need to be full time. Any time there is a standing expectation of child care, whether it is two days a week or every day, then there should be an expectation of compensation.

Anytime a grandparent cannot say, "No thanks I have stuff to do today" than they need to be compensated for their time.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Actually I'm very well acquainted with foster parenting.

Just wanted a little clarification on your post which wasn't clear to me.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-13-2012 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: 2 more words.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think it doesn't even need to be full time. Any time there is a standing expectation of child care, whether it is two days a week or every day, then there should be an expectation of compensation.

Anytime a grandparent cannot say, "No thanks I have stuff to do today" than they need to be compensated for their time.
Well, there were times my parents had things to do. They traveled a lot, and I had to either take that one day of the week off work while they were gone, or see if the day care center had room (which they did every time). My parents are not wealthy, but they are retired and bring in more money/month than we do. They didn't need me to pay them. They did it as a way to bond with their grand kids. We didn't need for them to babysit either. We had other options. I see your point though.

I have a family member who is dirt poor and lives off social security. She is the only day care provider for her grand daughter. She has so little money and bad or no credit, that she had to have her daughter co-sign on her apartment. this same daughter leaves her daughter with her mom every day, and doesn't pay her. That is different to me, and just doesn't seem right. Even if she was paid half of what day care would cost, it would be a lot of money to add to her budget, and her daughter and SIL would still be getting off cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting