Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I'm not begrudging their fun. They can have it. Just don't look at me like I have 3 heads when I choose not to participate. I am struggling financially myself, even $5 is a lot of money for me.
Sounds like you are. Especially considering the negative words being bandied about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:44 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ok....................
Which means she knew what was going on. So acting like she had no idea is not how it went.

You ask, I will tell.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
maybe. but the friend probably offered and the mom could have said no thanks.
Why should she?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Sounds like you are. Especially considering the negative words being bandied about.

I'm going to choose to ignore you from now on. Clearly you can't read since I stated before that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 PM

466 posts, read 815,706 times
Quote:
Isn't the wedding reception the "big celebration" of the marriage? If a celebration is what the person wants, they can have a party without calling it a "shower."
Sure. But showers are also a traditional part of the overall wedding experience, so the first-timer in the couple should experience that.

And honestly, I think that goes for baby showers, too. If the mom already has a child and is expecting a second child with her new husband, I don't have a problem with that at all. I attended a baby shower this past weekend and am going to another Sunday. Honestly, the husbands in both cases are the more excited ones. LOL

*In my circle, baby and wedding showers are co-ed events, so that might skew my perception.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I'm going to choose to ignore you from now on. Clearly you can't read since I stated before that I am not the only one who feels this way.
I am able to read. You have just said you feel the same way as others - that it is wrong and tacky. I say this means you are begrudging someone else because you don't agree with the celebration.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM

466 posts, read 815,706 times
Quote:
I'm not begrudging their fun. They can have it. Just don't look at me like I have 3 heads when I choose not to participate. I am struggling financially myself, even $5 is a lot of money for me.
Are you in a large office? When we have showers here, you can choose to go or not go. There have been several times I have skippied showers because I didn't really know the person. I had office wedding and baby showers and the people I thought would come came and the ones I didn't think would come didn't. And I was surprised by some of the people who did come. Either way, people never keep tabs on who gave. But if you're in a smaller office, I can see the politics of it. I still think signs with no mention of gifts is the better way to go.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
The purpose of a shower is to get gifts. Yes, you are celebrating too, but when you call it a shower, guests are expected to bring a gift. It is tacky to ask for gifts for a second or 3rd child when you just got a bunch of gifts for the first one 1, 2, 3 years ago. If you want to celebrate a birth, have a party after the baby is born, or for the baptism, or something.
I agree. I had a blessingway for my second with only my closest friends in attendance. It was a way to celebrate my pregnancy and the impending birth. We had a pot luck and instead of gifts people brought poems celebrating pregnancy, birth and motherhood. It was really nice.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
Are you in a large office? When we have showers here, you can choose to go or not go. There have been several times I have skippied showers because I didn't really know the person. I had office wedding and baby showers and the people I thought would come came and the ones I didn't think would come didn't. And I was surprised by some of the people who did come. Either way, people never keep tabs on who gave. But if you're in a smaller office, I can see the politics of it. I still think signs with no mention of gifts is the better way to go.

There's about 75 of us here and they keep tabs on who gives. They write names down and who gave and who didn't. They frown on people who choose not to participate, but I really don't care.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
Sure. But showers are also a traditional part of the overall wedding experience, so the first-timer in the couple should experience that.

And honestly, I think that goes for baby showers, too. If the mom already has a child and is expecting a second child with her new husband, I don't have a problem with that at all. I attended a baby shower this past weekend and am going to another Sunday. Honestly, the husbands in both cases are the more excited ones. LOL
Tradition is one of those things that is going to be different in different geographies/socio-economic situations/religions... Many things can can seem appropriate to one group that is positively weird or offensive to another. One thing I don't think anyone can do is come up with one "right" universal etiquette. Seems to me as long as the group is operating with consideration for everyone, then the etiquette, whatever it is, is probably sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting