Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times

Advertisements

I thought this was interesting. I know. For every study that proves one thing, there are 10 other studies that prove the opposite. I really think this one makes a lot of sense. From the article:

"The study, published this week in the Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, found that kids who lack self-control feel more anxious if their moms favor a laissez-faire style of parenting. On the other hand, kids who have greater self-control, but whose mothers didn't allow them much autonomy, tended to be more anxious and depressed."

Child a handful? Laid-back parenting can make matters worse - parenting - TODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 08:49 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
That seems rather intuitive.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
It also means that, believe it or not, there is no one size fits all to parenting, even among siblings. Ones parenting style must be adjusted for each kid at each stage and phase of their development. It is possible that one kid needs a more laid back approach to prosper and another may need tighter supervision and control. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It also means that, believe it or not, there is no one size fits all to parenting, even among siblings. Ones parenting style must be adjusted for each kid at each stage and phase of their development. It is possible that one kid needs a more laid back approach to prosper and another may need tighter supervision and control. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.
Exactly. It all seems to make sense, but there are still people out there that believe that all kids can be beaten into submission, or that if you stand back and let them run free that they will be better off. Different kids have different needs. Even if those kids come from the same parents.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:14 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It also means that, believe it or not, there is no one size fits all to parenting, even among siblings.
No kidding. I was a staunch behaviorist...until I had twins.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
"The study, published this week in the Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, found that kids who lack self-control feel more anxious if their moms favor a laissez-faire style of parenting. On the other hand, kids who have greater self-control, but whose mothers didn't allow them much autonomy, tended to be more anxious and depressed.
This is why parents need to adapt their style to their kids. Kids are different and need to be treated differently by their parents.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Kids need boundaries. It is up to parents where exactly those boundaries should be. Docile children may readily accept and stay inside their boundaries, even on their own, they might not try to push them but certain kids will push the boundaries where ever they are - but they need some kind of boundary.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
As long as you're a good PARENT to your child while he/she is growing up....you're bound to have a good friend when they are.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:14 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I thought this was interesting. I know. For every study that proves one thing, there are 10 other studies that prove the opposite. I really think this one makes a lot of sense. From the article:

"The study, published this week in the Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, found that kids who lack self-control feel more anxious if their moms favor a laissez-faire style of parenting. On the other hand, kids who have greater self-control, but whose mothers didn't allow them much autonomy, tended to be more anxious and depressed."

Child a handful? Laid-back parenting can make matters worse - parenting - TODAY.com

Anybody who has been out in public or had a job where kids come in, often, already knows this. I can't believe they paid someone to do a study on the obvious.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
That seems rather intuitive.
to me, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting