Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,325 times

Advertisements

I rubbed my belly many times during pregnancy and it was comforting to me. I felt like as a though I was "rubbing a baby". And yes, I'm one of those women that said "We're pregnant!!!"Although I'm the one that's carrying a baby, I wanted to include my husband as well. He helped me out a lot throughout the pregnancy, and made some changes that affected him, just because I was pregnant. So to me, saying "we're pregnant" instead of "i'm pregnant" just came naturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
I don't think I even realized that I was craddling and rubbing my stomach in such fashion when I was pregnant. I'm a petite woman and this stomach of mine was sticking out like there is no tomorrow and putting hands on my belly just felt good...or comfortable. Besides, when he was kicking into my rib cage, it was my way of "calming him" down.
Saying "we are pregnant" does sound odd to me, but who cares?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I have had cats and dogs, but currently have cats. I adore my cats. But (just for a start, and because it keeps boredom at bay to occasionally play along with silly games)...

My children do not leave me feathered and furred presents on the doorstep. If they did, I would have to check our insurance coverage for therapy coverage.

My cat does not require a nutritious range of selected food, sometimes packed into travel-sized portions. He supplements the rodents and bluejays with kibble.

I cannot leave my children home with a dish of food and a big bowl of water if we go out of town overnight.

If the cats desire to leave the house at 3AM, it means they have to pee or hear an interesting citrus rat in the yard. Should the local teenagers desire to exit the house at 3AM, I doubt it would involve the same reasoning.

My cat does not require an education. And though he's pretty bright, I have never gotten into discussions with others about whether homeschooling gifted felines provides adequate stimulus for them.

My cats will not be in charge of picking out my nursing home.

My cats do not require careful moral and ethical guidance, in hopes that they will not end up being serial killers, welfare cheats, or just garden variety a**hats.

Acquiring my cats involved writing a check for seventy bucks to a rescue. Acquiring my children, while initially far more pleasant, took a whole lot longer, a lot more money, and for awhile, mirrored a nice vacation in the tenth ring of Hell-- a place of which Dante never dreamed, but with which Mrs. Alighieri was no doubt passing familiar.
Ok, point taken lol

{ btw, you way overpaid for your cat.... there are a plethora of cats that could use a good home out in the alley..... and their free!!!}

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
I rubbed my belly many times during pregnancy and it was comforting to me. I felt like as a though I was "rubbing a baby". And yes, I'm one of those women that said "We're pregnant!!!"Although I'm the one that's carrying a baby, I wanted to include my husband as well. He helped me out a lot throughout the pregnancy, and made some changes that affected him, just because I was pregnant. So to me, saying "we're pregnant" instead of "i'm pregnant" just came naturally.
To each his or her own I guess. Dont you think " we're having a baby" sounds better than "we're pregnant" though? IDK.... I guess some women just like to be cutsie about it.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Ok, point taken lol

{ btw, you way overpaid for your cat.... there are a plethora of cats that could use a good home out in the alley..... and their free!!!}
No, I don't think we did. We've adopted from this rescue for most of the last several cats. I know they take good care, and I will bring home a healthy, microchipped, pre-spayed or neutered kitty. Some of the other rescues locally are not as careful. We adopted from the SPCA and from another rescue within the last five years, and those two cats are no longer with us (one from a congenital defect that was overlooked, one from a secondary infection which followed the feline rhinovirus I later found out is endemic in that shelter). Our current felines, despite their propensity for climbing up on the roof and tangling with ill-mannered mockingbirds, are ridiculously healthy.
I could get a free kitten from Craigslist, but I'd pay more in vet bills, probably.

As for the kids...they were overpriced, too. Most people get theirs a lot cheaper. But overall, they're worth it.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
No, I don't think we did. We've adopted from this rescue for most of the last several cats. I know they take good care, and I will bring home a healthy, microchipped, pre-spayed or neutered kitty. Some of the other rescues locally are not as careful. We adopted from the SPCA and from another rescue within the last five years, and those two cats are no longer with us (one from a congenital defect that was overlooked, one from a secondary infection which followed the feline rhinovirus I later found out is endemic in that shelter). Our current felines, despite their propensity for climbing up on the roof and tangling with ill-mannered mockingbirds, are ridiculously healthy.
I could get a free kitten from Craigslist, but I'd pay more in vet bills, probably.

As for the kids...they were overpriced, too. Most people get theirs a lot cheaper. But overall, they're worth it.
Yes, I thought about that after I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting