Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
well, now that I know there are some actual reasons for cradling the stomach, I suppose I can see why they do it. I always thought is was more of like a show-off type thing for lack of a better expression.
Although each of us can't speak for EVERY pregnant woman out there...we can most certainly assure you that there ARE definitely valid reasons for cradling and/or rubbing those giant midsections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It honestly never occurred to you that having a growing, moving thing inside you the size of a basketball might occasionally be a teensy weensy uncomfortable?
Well sure it has, I don'tsee how it would help because when they do it they dont appear to be lifting or putting pressure on their stomach, but hey, Ive never been a pregnant women, and never will be for that matter.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Well sure it has
And, if you have, for instance, a sore wrist or calf muscle, you don't occasionally rub it?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:21 PM

122 posts, read 97,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Said cradling is usually accompanies by a smirk that could best be translated as .... look what *I* did. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Yeah, she did what dogs and cats do. Big whoop.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM

26 posts, read 62,016 times
Quote:
First, I want to ask that you please don't take offense to this. There are two things that I want to note here, and maybe you can shed some light on the for me:

I can't STAND it when pregnant women "cradle" their stomach like so....
I mean, WHY do they do this??? Are they afraid that If they don't cradle the stomach, the baby may fall off???

The second thing that I hate, is when pregnant women say " WE'RE pregnant" as if the man or husband is also. Why do they do this?

I personaly, just find both of these two things very annoying.
1) I hold my stomach like that because I'm actually pulling UP because it relieves the pain and pressure when you are big. It has nothing to do with holding the baby in. It also is sometimes because There is a person moving inside you and that stuff hurts and the warmth of your hands on those two spots can make the baby calm down.

2) my honey gets kind of upset if I don't say "we" are pregnant. Because although he knows he is obviously not pregnant he likes feeling like he is still involved and not just some unneccesary sperm donor. I still say "I am pregnant a lot" so I can kind of understand the second one.

I will say I'm sure there are plenty of women who do the first to show off or because the baby can respond to the touch of your hand once it is big enough (my honey actually pushes on parts that stick out and "chases" the baby around my tummy sometimes...strange how fascinated guys get when it is there kid growing)

Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5e3deluxe View Post
Yeah, she did what dogs and cats do. Big whoop.
LOL funny you should mention that. Whenever the discussion of someone "expecting" comes up, I always say... "What a coincidence, my cat is going to have kittens!!!!" Thus, effectively making the same statement you did but in an innocent, wide-eyed way! LOL. I love to see the look they get on their face. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
These are the two biggest problems in your life? WOW! I need to have something so mundane as my biggest problem. How does this happen? I haven't found this at WalMart. Maybe I should look in Target....possibly in the baby aisle?

I can't stand seeing extremely fat men with larger breasts than me going around shirtless rubbing their fat gut with a beer can in the other hand. Now that's an image I need burned into my skull. I don't go around telling people I want to vomit when I see that or that he needs Jenny Craig and Wonderbra. It's called manners. Don't like it? Don't look!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
well, now that I know there are some actual reasons for cradling the stomach, I suppose I can see why they do it. I always thought is was more of like a show-off type thing for lack of a better expression.
Other fun things you might see pregnant women do include falling down a lot, dropping things and frequently burping (or worse). All normal and explainable.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Why do people come to the 'Parenting' Forum to complain about the way a pregnant woman holds her stomach?? It's ridiculous.

Is it that it starts out in another forum . . and then ends up here?

Or just stirring the pot?

I mean, I'm not over in the "Pet" forum talking about how I hate people with dogs.

I can only imagine the reception I would get with that opening statement. But I guess we're supposed to be ok with everything everyone hates about pregnancy, parents, children, parenting . . . .

Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
That also happens when friends discover religion, a new sweetheart, or World of Warcraft.
Oy vey! My sister in law is a born again Christian and now we ALL get to hear about our souls resting in eternal hell fire because we're not. *mute button*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting