Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

Oh my, how intolerant some people are.

Are some parents insensitive to the fact that their kids may be disturbing other diners? Sure.

Are some diners uptight people who hate kids? Sure.

Are some diners just regular folks with or without children who realize they are an integral part of society, and are more than happy to tolerate a crying baby, someone on a cell phone, someone laughing out loud, or someone a bit tipsy because they realize that is what part of living in a community is about? Yes, thankfully most sensible people are reasonable, and damned grateful to able to afford to eat out.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:36 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
I think we should ban restaurants! Problem solved.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:03 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
I do not agree with other posters on here that 7:30pm is not late. It is too late for children to be eating dinner, IN MY OPINION.

So we should schedule our dinners when...10pm? 11? Midnight?

When DO you people put your children to bed? At 7:30, they should at least be home, getting bathed and ready for bed as bed time should have already been or be very soon. Not sitting in some restaurant at that hour.

If the kids started wailing, the parent should have taken the kid out of the restaurant until he/she calmed down. And that should be the case even at Denny's or Chuck E Cheese.

If your kid is having a fricken meltdown, take them outside. NO ONE, not even other kids, should have to listen to that.

And no Zimbo, I do not hate kids. I hate the parents who think that the rest of us should just "put up with" their kids throwing fits or running up and down the aisles, out of control. It's not the kids fault...they're too young to know any better but the parents SHOULD.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:21 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I do not agree with other posters on here that 7:30pm is not late. It is too late for children to be eating dinner, IN MY OPINION.

What difference does it make what time a family chooses to eat dinner? When we were home schooling, we would regularly eat dinner at 7:30 and later.

Quote:
When DO you people put your children to bed? At 7:30, they should at least be home, getting bathed and ready for bed as bed time should have already been or be very soon. Not sitting in some restaurant at that hour.
Why? Is there some magic to those times?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
What is so magic about 7:30? As long as kids get enough sleep what's the difference if they eat later and stay up later?

Quote:
What do you think will happen if kids eat at 7:30 and take a bath at 9? I fail to understand how some people can get all worked up over when someone else's children go to sleep.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
DH and I finally had a night out without our kids at a pretty nice restaurant and guess what? In the middle of our meal, they seat a table of six moms and their babies/preschoolers. Seriously? At 7.30 on a Tuesday night??? We moved- of course- as soon as the whining started. If you can't get a sitter, stay home.
When we go into a restaurant we always ask for the "no screaming babies section". Which always makes the hostess laugh.

The problem arises when we are in the middle of dinner and suddenly the "family" arrives.

What I want to know is how come young children are not taught to SIT DOWN when they eat now? Invariably, the kids are up running around and don't sit down ONCE during the entire meal. They eat off the end of the table while they are standing up, between dashes here and there. (talking all the while, of course). And parents are always ignoring them (usually on their phones).

I dont' get it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Ahhhh Mimimomx3 no offense to you and I know you want to vent but I think the horse has been shot, hung, stabbed, chlorofoamed, nuked, made into glue and what ever imagination you may have in killing a horse has been done in this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...an-update.html

Do we have to open up the same can of worms again?
I agree - we have hashed this one to death. I'll say no more.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:

If the kids started wailing, the parent should have taken the kid out of the restaurant until he/she calmed down. And that should be the case even at Denny's or Chuck E Cheese.

If your kid is having a fricken meltdown, take them outside. NO ONE, not even other kids, should have to listen to that.

And no Zimbo, I do not hate kids. I hate the parents who think that the rest of us should just "put up with" their kids throwing fits or running up and down the aisles, out of control. It's not the kids fault...they're too young to know any better but the parents SHOULD.
For my family, 7:30 is a little on the late side to eat, but who are you to say what time a family can sit down to eat? What if dad gets home from work late? Maybe the kids have activities right after school and can't eat any earlier. Maybe school starts late, and the kids don't need to be in bed so early. I don't know what makes you think you get to dictate dinner time for everyone else.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When we go into a restaurant we always ask for the "no screaming babies section". Which always makes the hostess laugh.
I've been in your town. Doesn't "no screaming babies section" mean "old folks on the bus tour" section?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
What I want to know is -

Where are you people eating at where you are subjected to so much bad child behavior? Is it a regional problem? Is it your poor dining choices - such as chain restaurants?

I can't think of the last time I was in a restaurant where there was behavior from a child that stood out. Frankly, I'm trying to think the last restaurant I was in where there were children that I remember at all. Seriously - it's not coming to mind. We don't eat at extremely expensive places but then again, we don't each at chains.

The last time I distinctly remember being at a small local pasta place and there were several families there (and we were there later at night - it was a Friday night), I remember commenting to my DH about how well behaved a particular family was with 4 kids at the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting