Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bus or Before School Care?
Walk and Wait for Bus despite weather 13 72.22%
Before School Care for 2 hours 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,076 times

Advertisements

We had this dilemma when my DD started middle school also. It started at 9:15, she didn't need to leave for the bus until 9:00 (last stop and just over a mile from the house). We needed to be out of the house by 7:45. She also had meds that she needed to take, although she is not add or adhd. She did fine, never once was there a problem. Now granted we were very close to the school so that if she missed the bus, she knew she better start walking to get herself there. Never missed the bus.

As for the inclement weather, I agree with the some of the other suggestions about using the school care program on a as needed basis if that is possible. My poor kids would have gone insane if they had to sit at school for 2 hours before it started, heck I would go insane at my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:05 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Didn't read the other replies, so hope I'm not repeating. I would have him take the bus. I would also wake him before you leave for work (7:15 or so) and have him take his meds and get out of bed. Have him call you (cell) when he's leaving the house (and has locked the door) and is on his way to the bus stop. Then you know he's right on track to start his day.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Has the OP actually asked her son what he would rather do?

I can't get past the sitting for 2 hours at school waiting for classes to start. You can have all the comforts (PSP, books, etc.) but an ADHD kid having to sit for two hours, medicated or not, sounds like it would feel like an eternity.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Maybe there are organized programs before school? When I was in Jr. High, I was in "morning chorus" before school started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting