Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 06:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
There is no such thing as a vaccine preventable disease.Immunizations, including those practiced on babies not only do not prevent infectious diseases...but have also caused more suffering, and more deaths than has any other human activity in the entire history of medical interventions.....Most people believe that smallpox, diptheria, tetanus,polio, pertussis etc were eliminated in the western world by vaccination....Few realize that these diseases had been in decline for a hundred years.......According to the British Association for the Advancement of Sciences......cases of childhood diseases fell by 90% between 1850 and 1940....before mass vaccination started......smallpox declined in european countries with vaccination programs...as well as those without...Diseases like bubonic plague and scarlet fever have largely dissapeared without vaccination.....TB has declined greatly without vaccines...though poverty and incomplete treatment can allow it to return.....A recent world heath organization(WHO) report says that the present decline of diseases in third world countries is largely due...not to vaccines, and improved medical care...but to the same factors that caused declines in the west: improved standards of hygiene, sanitation, diet, clean water, and standard of living.........there is not one single paper that would demonstrate that in epidemics only unvaccinated children contracted the diseases....in fact even in populations where 100% have been vaccinated...vaccinated people have been shown to contract the disease.....
Vaccination against smallpox has been practiced in the US since 1721, and before that in Europe. It figures that the anti-vaccine people would use a figure going on to 1940, 321 years later.

Edward Jenner and the history of smallpox and vaccination

Scarlet fever is a secondary infection to untreated strep throat. If you treat the strep with that modern new invention, antibiotics, you can avoid the Scarlet fever.

Scarlet fever - MayoClinic.com

Scarlet fever is an illness that develops in some people who have strep throat. . . . Although scarlet fever was once considered a serious childhood illness, antibiotic treatments have made it less threatening. Nonetheless, if left untreated, scarlet fever (like strep throat) can result in more-serious conditions that affect the heart, kidneys and other parts of the body.

TB declned because of a major effort in the US to eradicate it. The Christmas Seals you buy (or don't) started as a fund-raiser for TB control. It is not declining in the rest of the world as much as you assert. Your anti-vaccine literature is wrong.

Tuberculosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One third of the world's population is thought to be infected with M. tuberculosis,[3][4] and new infections occur at a rate of about one per second.[3]. . . about 80% of the population in many Asian and African countries test positive in tuberculin tests, while only 5–10% of the US population test positive.[1]

There is a vaccine for tuberculosis; it is not used in the US where rates are lower, but it is used in other parts of the world.

Many countries use Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine as part of their TB control programmes, especially for infants. The BCG vaccine is one of the most widely used of all current vaccines, reaching >80% of neonates and infants in countries with a national vaccination schedule.[62

(From the Wiki link)

Yes, vaccinated people get disease, however, they usually get less severe disease, and the incidence in immunized people is MUCH lower than in the unimmunized.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm not looking to get into a vaccine debate because no one is going to change anyone's mind on this matter. Not worth my time or energy.
Honestly, I get that you are only do what you believe is the right thing for your children.

It's really not a case of them vs. us, all anyone wants is the best interests of children, one's own specifically, and all children in general.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:31 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as a vaccine preventable disease.Immunizations, including those practiced on babies not only do not prevent infectious diseases...but have also caused more suffering, and more deaths than has any other human activity in the entire history of medical interventions.....Most people believe that smallpox, diptheria, tetanus,polio, pertussis etc were eliminated in the western world by vaccination....Few realize that these diseases had been in decline for a hundred years.......According to the British Association for the Advancement of Sciences......cases of childhood diseases fell by 90% between 1850 and 1940....before mass vaccination started......smallpox declined in european countries with vaccination programs...as well as those without...Diseases like bubonic plague and scarlet fever have largely dissapeared without vaccination.....TB has declined greatly without vaccines...though poverty and incomplete treatment can allow it to return.....A recent world heath organization(WHO) report says that the present decline of diseases in third world countries is largely due...not to vaccines, and improved medical care...but to the same factors that caused declines in the west: improved standards of hygiene, sanitation, diet, clean water, and standard of living.........there is not one single paper that would demonstrate that in epidemics only unvaccinated children contracted the diseases....in fact even in populations where 100% have been vaccinated...vaccinated people have been shown to contract the disease.....
The fact that you think there is no such thing as a "vaccine preventable disease" is the height of ignorance and arrogance....

Seriously on par with rejecting the "germ theory" of disease transmission..

Obviously you cut and pasted this entire screed from some obscure anti-vaccine fringe site...

As for epidemics of vaccine preventable diseases, which don't exist according to you, if you actually looked at the numbers you would see that YES "some" immunized children will get the disease but nowhere near the numbers of "unvaccinated". Vaccinated children also tend to get milder forms of the disease.

The RATE of infection among vaccinated vs unvaccinated children is off the chart and there are HUNDREDS of papers to attest to this fact....

Also, while vaccinated children may in fact develop the disease (NO vaccine ever made has ever claimed to be 100% effective) the disease "reservoir" almost always occurs in an unvaccinated population and then spreads...

"Eighty vaccinated children were exposed to varicella in the household, resulting in 8 (10%) cases of infection. When compared with the historical attack rate of 86.8% in unvaccinated susceptible persons exposed to varicella in the household, this yields an estimated vaccine efficacy of 88.5% (95% CI: 80.9%, 96.1%). Varicella cases in vaccinated children generally were mild."

ScienceDirect - The Journal of Pediatrics : Childhood vaccination against varicella: Persistence of antibody, duration of protection, and vaccine efficacy*1

I can find hundreds of articles and papers to back up my position...

Can you find even ONE to back up yours?

Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
I can find hundreds of articles and papers to back up my position...

Can you find even ONE to back up yours?
I don't know if you have been following these vaccination threads for long. Some of us have. The poster to whom you allude, has a long history of starting threads that are anti-vaccination and jumping into other threads.

Typically, she makes wild allegations about the "dangers of vaccines". When called upon to support her allegations, she will respond in three ways:

1. She'll cite articles from the most unreputable sources possible. I've seen articles from people who profess "herbalism" and naturopathic physicians. One time she talked about a group of people who have formed some sort of committee and oppose vaccination. I think one was a physician from Canada in an unrelated medical field. All other members of this group were non-medical people (unless one counts herbalists). She cites the long discredited study by Andrew Wakefield connecting autism and the MMR shot. She believes that Wakefield was targeted unfairly by a "conspiracy" of vaccine manufacturers and the medical establishment; or

2. She will make statements that contain purported "facts", but not give a source; or

3. She'll ignore those who cites facts and evidence that destroy or debunk her wild accusations.

I have asked her before to provide me with a list of medical doctors who oppose immunization and believe its dangerous. I'm not talking about a handful of doctors who disagree with the CDC vaccination schedule. Nor, am I talking about herbalists and naturopaths. I'm talking about medical doctors who believe immunization is dangerous. The list has never been provided. Nor, will it ever be provided.

You judge for yourself how much integrity and credibility she has. Responding to her is a waste of time, except for the fact that I have grave concerns a small minority of people out there are uneducated enough to be suckered by her hyperpole and falsehoods.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
This is obviously a long-standing and heated debate, but please do not attack one another.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:28 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Here's some food for thought regarding aluminum in vaccines:
Vaccine FAQs | Dr. Sears Official Website | Parenting Advice, Parenting Books & more

BTW when gathering resources I got my information from multiple books, the Internet (including the CDC) as well as from a few different peds (including my own) as well as a naturopath. My main focus was on raw data and I did not pay very much attention to pro or anti vax sites or sources. I made informed decisions that were not based on fear or conspiracy theories. I spent months gathering information. The decisions I have made re: vaccines were not made lightly or based on watching an episode of Oprah with Jenny Mc Carthy.
Interesting link.

I note two things:

1. Dr. Sears has found no proof that aluminum in vaccines is harmful.

2. Due to his concern that it might be, since in his opinion the research is inadequate, he suggests an alternative schedule that allows concerned parents to space vaccines further apart and not give certain vaccines together.

Nowhere does he say not to give any of the vaccines in which aluminum is an adjuvant. Most of his concerns appear to have more to do with the methodology of statistical analysis than with the vaccines themselves.

Since you posted this link, it appears that you trust Dr. Sears' advice. Which vaccines have you chosen not to administer?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
As others have pointed out, your last sentence is faulty.Yes some vaccinated people get the disease they have been vaccinated for. The majority of vaccinated persons do not get sick, depending on the efficacy of the particular vaccine. On the other hand, depending on the particular disease, the majority of exposed persons will get sick if they are unvaccinated and exposed.

As to your contention that childhood diseases were disappearing before vaccines were invented, see here:

Immunizations: Misconception #11

Misconceptions about Immunization

By the way, plague is still around. It can be treated with antibiotics, and there is actually a vaccine for it. It is not gone.

CDC Plague Home Page - CDC Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases (DVBID)

Old 09-04-2011, 04:36 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Interesting link.

I note two things:

1. Dr. Sears has found no proof that aluminum in vaccines is harmful.

2. Due to his concern that it might be, since in his opinion the research is inadequate, he suggests an alternative schedule that allows concerned parents to space vaccines further apart and not give certain vaccines together.

Nowhere does he say not to give any of the vaccines in which aluminum is an adjuvant. Most of his concerns appear to have more to do with the methodology of statistical analysis than with the vaccines themselves.

Since you posted this link, it appears that you trust Dr. Sears' advice. Which vaccines have you chosen not to administer?
1. He has not found proof that aluminum in vaccines is harmful because there have not been any studies regarding aluminum in vaccines. He has found proof that aluminum in certain quantities is harmful for certain people and the amount of aluminum in certain vaccines is in those quantities.

2. I never said that he is suggesting that people forgoe vaccinations. I was responding to a couple of posts where people were dismissing the idea that some vaccines contain toxins.

I like Dr. Sears but that doesn't mean that I follow all of his advice or agree with everything he says. My personal vaccination decisions are not relevant to this thread and quite frankly are none of your business, Suzy.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I like Dr. Sears but that doesn't mean that I follow all of his advice or agree with everything he says. My personal vaccination decisions are not relevant to this thread and quite frankly are none of your business, Suzy.
So how do you decide which advice to follow and what to agree with? Remember, it was your link.

It seems you have keyed on the idea that aluminum is possibly toxic, then discarded Dr. Sears' conclusion that we should give vaccines containing aluminum until either there is confirmation that aluminum is not a good idea or better adjuvants are developed.

Since you are anonymous here, why should you not share with us what vaccines you feel are too dangerous to use?

There are no vaccines in the current recommended list that I do not want my granddaughter to receive. I see no reason to deviate from the recommended schedule, barring an illness at the scheduled time that would make a delay advisable.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
As others have pointed out, your last sentence is faulty.Yes some vaccinated people get the disease they have been vaccinated for. The majority of vaccinated persons do not get sick, depending on the efficacy of the particular vaccine. On the other hand, depending on the particular disease, the majority of exposed persons will get sick if they are unvaccinated and exposed.

As to your contention that childhood diseases were disappearing before vaccines were invented, see here:

Immunizations: Misconception #11

Misconceptions about Immunization

By the way, plague is still around. It can be treated with antibiotics, and there is actually a vaccine for it. It is not gone.

CDC Plague Home Page - CDC Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases (DVBID)
I cannot edit this but I would like to add a link:

The worst misconceptions parents of some unvaccinated children hold » The Vaccine Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting