Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times

Advertisements

My son started school a couple of weeks go. He is in Kindergarten and just turned 5 years old. He never went to pre-school but he knows all his letters, numbers and colors .What I am worried about is that
he is not up to standard for kindergarten.
He cannot write his name real well even though he knows how the letters look. When he writes with a pencil, you can barely see anything because he holds the pen so loose and the letters are really crocked looking. He also have a hard time to color within the lines.
I am also concerned that he cannot read at all. I have tried to read with him but I am not sure how to do it so he actually understand.

What is normal for a 5 year old? Did I start him in kindergarten too early? Like I said, he just turned 5 in May. Please, give me some advice.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
He should learn to read in kindergarten, not before necessarily. My almost 6 yo just started kinder and can't read yet.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,679 times
Give it some time. You'd be amazed at the progress most kindergarten kids make during the year. I also doubt he is alone in his skill level. I'd communicate your possible concerns to the teacher and see what they say.

Let the teacher get the assessments completed and discover where he stands skill level compared to grade expectations. If the teacher finds that he is on target, then just support him any way you can. If the assessments determine he needs some extra support they will offer it and confer with you about what you can do to help him as well.

The beginning of K is a mixture of many things. They are learning new buildings, teachers, classmates, schedules, routines, procedures and so on on top of the curriculum. It will take a little while to discover what he needs, so just open the door of communication and keep it open until they have a good idea which direction needs to be taken.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Reading to him regularly is the best thing you can do for him. He will learn so much from your rhythm, inflections, emotions, words. Everything. You are not reading to help him learn to read so much as all the other components that go into understanding language. There is no right or wrong way to read to a child. Just do it to instill the love of reading. He will catch on before you know it.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Oh, while I am at it. My son has got a couple of yellow cards from the teacher regarding play ground behavior.She also says he does not follow directions real well while at the play ground. I know it might sound silly but it is not fun to get a note home the first week in school.
I had a heart to heart with my son about listening to the teacher, and he promised to be a good boy. The next day he was at it again . This time , while at the play ground, he had thrown rocks down the slide.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 08-14-2011 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 08:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Five year olds are all over the place in reading skills. Some kids read early. Some kids learn to read at 7 or 8 (and in countries where this is the norm, guess how good the schools are - if you said excellent, you would be correct).

In general, children come to K knowing their letters and numbers, but not necessarily reading. They are in k to learn and usually do by the end of k though some actually are in first grade before they learn.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Reading to him regularly is the best thing you can do for him. He will learn so much from your rhythm, inflections, emotions, words. Everything. You are not reading to help him learn to read so much as all the other components that go into understanding language. There is no right or wrong way to read to a child. Just do it to instill the love of reading. He will catch on before you know it.

Thanks, I do try to read for him as often as I can. He just now lets me read threw an entire book without interrupting me. That might mean that he understand what I am reading.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Five year olds are all over the place in reading skills. Some kids read early. Some kids learn to read at 7 or 8 (and in countries where this is the norm, guess how good the schools are - if you said excellent, you would be correct).

In general, children come to K knowing their letters and numbers, but not necessarily reading. They are in k to learn and usually do by the end of k though some actually are in first grade before they learn.

I grew up in Sweden and started school at age 7. That's when I learned how to read.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Thanks, I do try to read for him as often as I can. He just now lets me read threw an entire book without interrupting me. That might mean that he understand what I am reading.
You might want to try the You Read to Me, I'll Read to You series. My granddaughter loved those.

Amazon.com: You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together (9780316363501): Mary Ann Hoberman, Michael Emberley: Books

Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You might want to try the You Read to Me, I'll Read to You series. My granddaughter loved those.

Amazon.com: You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together (9780316363501): Mary Ann Hoberman, Michael Emberley: Books

Thanks!

He also really likes "green eggs and ham".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting