Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:28 PM

64 posts, read 189,714 times

Advertisements

My friend Rachel had a micro-preemie. She was born at 28 weeks. She fought hard until she was 4 months old, and then her heart finally gave out.

rip Carly, we miss you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,705 times
It is so encouraging to read these posts about your miracle babies! Our DD is adopted and was born a drug baby (cocaine, crack, marijuana, alcohol and barbituites that we know of) at 32 weeks. She weighed 4 lbs. 3 oz. and was on a respirator for 24 hours and a feeding tube for two weeks. We worried a lot about later behavior, mental or academic problems, more because of the drugs than the prematurity, but her pediatrician calls her his little miracle girl. She is almost nine. Has been tested and is in the gifted program at school, is musically and athletically talented and so far has shown no problems like ADHD. She is also very social. We thank God everyday for our miracle.

Nancy

Old 01-31-2017, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 484 times
Wow these stories are amazing and full of faith and glory. My granddaughter was born at 24 weeks weighing 1.3 pounds and 11 inches. She spent her first three months in NICU here in Savannah with a wonderful group of caring and knowledgeable staff. We also went through the full spectrum of tests, oxygen levels, feedings and transfusions, I believe six. The NICU unit was my second home where I prayed, sang and read to her almost on a daily basis. It was hard but rewarding at the same time. Hopes up when she gained and a bit of sadness when she lost weight. She came into this world crying and fought hard, even giving the nurses a run for their money when she started to pull her feeding tube out a few nights a week. lol. I was scared when she was released on oxygen and would have felt better had she stayed in the hospital longer, just in case. Her mother is amazing and transitioned well with her care. My son was a bit hesitant at first and now the bond and joy he has with his daughter is amazing. We have to keep in mind that her developmental milestones are more on a four month old level and not the 8 months that she currently is. She weighs 15.5 pounds now and is 24 inches long. She has a ways to go to catch up but every babble, formula increase, roll over, laugh and smile makes it all worth the sleepless nights and overwhelming anxiety we experienced during the first few months and some today. I still don't think I have found the words for the parents of premies and how overwhelming it is to have to wait to be told in the beginning how ones baby is and to make those daily journeys to the hospital and not know what to expect from one day to the next. I can say this---the babies know your presence even at such a young and fragile age. When Isabel is fussy, I sing one of the two Spanish songs I sang to her in the NICU and she calms down. If I hum or sing anything else, she does not calm down as quickly and if she is really tired,,,she makes me understand that she doesn't want to hear anything else...lol.. If you find yourself in a similar situation hang in there and have faith and you are stronger than you think you are. Be blessed.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile I was a preemie.....

Over 50 years ago

26 weeks

1.9 pounds

In hospital 10 months

Blind in 1 eye; poor vision in "good" eye (nerves damaged due to much oxygen)

It has been a struggle - I would love to meet someone who has been through what I have been through with the vision - it's hard to explain - I feel like I pretend all the time, count steps, some people don't realize till I tell them.

And now, many are catching up with poor vision, etc.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:36 PM

274 posts, read 485,154 times
I had a 31-week old son in 2008. 4.7 lbs. C-Section since he was breech and he had to stay in the hospital for 6 weeks. Had a breathing tube, feeding tube and needed a blood transfusion. He was also in and out of the hospital 19 times for the 1st year. 12 times the 2nd year. 4 times the 3rd year. Chronic lung disease. Now he is my talkative, sweet yet annoying boy that has an endless supply of energy!

Old 01-31-2017, 10:48 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
My 10yr was a 36wk'r. In the NICU 2 weeks. The hardest part was not being able to fix her. She had a twin who we lost at 17wks. They both werent growing right and he gave up the fight. She was 5.8lbs.

It was really a crazy time then so i dont remember much. I had a 1yr old at the time, had just got married, living with my grandma, hubby just got back from the Army....all at 21yrs old!

Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 AM

500 posts, read 748,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Over 50 years ago

26 weeks

1.9 pounds

In hospital 10 months

Blind in 1 eye; poor vision in "good" eye (nerves damaged due to much oxygen)

It has been a struggle - I would love to meet someone who has been through what I have been through with the vision - it's hard to explain - I feel like I pretend all the time, count steps, some people don't realize till I tell them.

And now, many are catching up with poor vision, etc.
My aunt was a premie, born in 1938, weighing about 3 pounds. The doctors told my grandmother she probably would not make it. But my grandmother insisted on bringing her home and kept her under warm lights and used an eyedropper until she could gain weight. She has always had sight problems though, being nearly blind in one eye. Kids made fun of her for wearing a patch until she could get the right corrective lenses. She went on to go to nursing school and be a nurse.

She certainly was a miracle baby and later the doctor asked my grandmother if he could take photos of her for a presentation, and she told him to go, well you can fill in the rest. I'm sure she was angry he had said she should give up and he wanted to take credit.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:52 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
My son was born at 32 weeks in 2000. He was 4lbs, 10 ozs and dropped to 4lbs. He spent a month in NICU on breathing tubes, heart monitors, blood transfusions and came home on a heart monitor, went back into PICU for pneumonia and the ER was our best friend for the first year.

Now he is 182lbs, wrestles, in AP classes, a junior and a rugby player. These preemies always hold a special place in my heart and I love hearing how they are all doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting