Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The next craze of very tiny, crappy plastic figures (that really hurt when you walk on them!).

Amazon.com: Squinkies Bubble Pack - Series Three: Toys & Games
Luckily my kids are over the age where these things are attractive!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Cellphones probably weren't big when you first went to college.
That was 1994?
I wouldn't want to carry around something that looked like a cell phone from 1994...

If you look at them then, ugly, bulky, awkward, no features and compare it to something like my phone, which has a HUGE screen, gps, mp3, internet, front facing camera, etc there is a HUGE difference.
I went to school in 1993, my fourth year started in 1996, cell phones were not 'zach morris' looking anymore, and your statement is so clueless, because obviously we had NOTHING to compare them to, so who cares if your phone NOW has those features? The idea that you could make a call from ANYWHERE (especially in an emergency) was a fairly awesome thing. People would have loved to have them, but they were expensive and mostly deemed unnecessary (like the op is saying about ipads and ipods for little kids).

Your statement STILL doesn't explain what a teenager NEEDS a cell phone for. You getting calls from the hospital to come in and perform emergency surgery? Are the Asian markets tanking and you need to sell sell sell? Has someone finally decided to make an offer on the Robertson property?

NO. It's a toy for entertainment purposes as far as teenagers are concerned. At best, it's about convenience and YOUR PARENTS' peace of mind.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
You know just because cell phones aren't educational doesn't mean they are bad.
I don't know why everything has to be boring, educational and blah for it to be the best damn thing for your child.
So what if your teenager spend his/her free time around their activities texting their friends, they could be down in the basement making pipebombs because they have no friends.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
One thing about Generation Z that I find fascinating; I was talking to my children's piano teacher the other day, she mentioned how children who play video games find learning the piano quite easy. They are used to not watching their hands while performing tasks. I remember when I learned to play the piano it was many years before I could play without looking at my hands, with my kids it was a matter of months.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
No one said cell phones are bad. Who said cell phones are bad? I said they were unnecessary for the great majority of the population. Entertainment isn't bad. Communication isn't bad. Convenience isn't bad. Not taken by themselves.

But when all you can do is tick-tick-tick texting and doing facebook on your damn phone instead of paying attention the actual people around you, then I begin to think it's bad.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
It appears a few of us might have been sharing space in the same beast's belly.
And we're disagreeing! I love the internet. Evil beastie that it is.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I went to school in 1993, my fourth year started in 1996, cell phones were not 'zach morris' looking anymore, and your statement is so clueless, because obviously we had NOTHING to compare them to, so who cares if your phone NOW has those features? The idea that you could make a call from ANYWHERE (especially in an emergency) was a fairly awesome thing. People would have loved to have them, but they were expensive and mostly deemed unnecessary (like the op is saying about ipads and ipods for little kids).

Your statement STILL doesn't explain what a teenager NEEDS a cell phone for. You getting calls from the hospital to come in and perform emergency surgery? Are the Asian markets tanking and you need to sell sell sell? Has someone finally decided to make an offer on the Robertson property?

NO. It's a toy for entertainment purposes as far as teenagers are concerned. At best, it's about convenience and YOUR PARENTS' peace of mind.
First of all I am not a teenager.
Second of all I don't have a home phone, so places can't call me unless I have a phone of my own, I have no way to use a phone if I didn't have a cell phone.
Third of all, it is a great way to keep in touch with your kids, for them to keep in touch with their friends, for them to have a way to get a hold of someone in an emergency. Before I had a cell phone I barely talked to my friends unless we planned to meet up, when I got a cell phone I was better able to keep in touch and was able to coordinate hanging out more often.

Just because there isn't a need for something doesn't mean you shouldn't get it. There doesn't always have to be a need for anything. Why does there have to be a purpose for everything?

Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No one said cell phones are bad. Who said cell phones are bad? I said they were unnecessary for the great majority of the population. Entertainment isn't bad. Communication isn't bad. Convenience isn't bad. Not taken by themselves.

But when all you can do is tick-tick-tick texting and doing facebook on your damn phone instead of paying attention the actual people around you, then I begin to think it's bad.
But that's not always true.
People assume you give a teenager a cell phone and they'll do nothing but non-stop text and run up a huge bill.
I have certain people that when I hang out with them I try to limit my texting etc unless I get one or really need to contact a person. Even then my 17 year old brother isn't like that, nor are any of his friends. I never see any of them buried with their faces in a phone the whole time they are hanging out.
Sure they text but its not every second kind of thing.

And to look at a group of kids sitting together texting and then assuming they aren't paying attention to each other is BS too. I can text and be sitting right next to someone and carry on a conversation with them as well.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
First of all I am not a teenager.
Second of all I don't have a home phone, so places can't call me unless I have a phone of my own, I have no way to use a phone if I didn't have a cell phone.
Third of all, it is a great way to keep in touch with your kids, for them to keep in touch with their friends, for them to have a way to get a hold of someone in an emergency. Before I had a cell phone I barely talked to my friends unless we planned to meet up, when I got a cell phone I was better able to keep in touch and was able to coordinate hanging out more often.

Just because there isn't a need for something doesn't mean you shouldn't get it. There doesn't always have to be a need for anything. Why does there have to be a purpose for everything?
Well, let's use you for example.

You are 22. You are ridicuously spoiled, wildly immature, no job, no prospects, live with your mother and have no need to live by her rules, I am quite sure have flaked on the car loan your Grandmother gave you, the list goes on an on.

What is your priority? A cell phone. Not a pay as you go, very cheap one, but an Android. And now you need a new laptop for Christmas?

You prettty much sum up why I fear getting kids hooked on needing the latest and greatest so young.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:21 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Well, let's use you for example.

You are 22. You are ridicuously spoiled, wildly immature, no job, no prospects, live with your mother and have no need to live by her rules, I am quite sure have flaked on the car loan your Grandmother gave you, the list goes on an on.

What is your priority? A cell phone. Not a pay as you go, very cheap one, but an Android. And now you need a new laptop for Christmas?

You prettty much sum up why I fear getting kids hooked on needing the latest and greatest so young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting