Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I have a phone that could sell for very much if it were stolen, no thank you it will stay with me.
Wait. Is this where we're all supposed to burst into applause?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:59 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wait. Is this where we're all supposed to burst into applause?
I'm simply stating the differences.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,909 times
Quote:
TG is only 3 years older than me. He doesn't think the same that I do. He'll text here and there but for the most part stays off his phone most the time. Granted he doesn't have a smart phone nor does he really care.

I have a friend who leaves her phone in her locker at work.
While I wouldn't dare let my phone leave my possession anywhere out in public, even at work.
I have a phone that could sell for very much if it were stolen, no thank you it will stay with me.

Different people have different perspectives, doesn't make either one right.
Hmmmm, what is the common theme here? All of these people are employed?

Txt, since I have been here, your whole life has centered around a damn phone and now you are bragging about how expensive it is? Are you kidding me? You don't even have enough money for a damn shirt for a WalMart job!!! This is what concerns me about kids and too much technology. Holy priorities!

I coud give a rats booty if grown adults sit around and play on their smartphones wherever they are. I really don't even care if kids do it so long as they are good kids/students and didn't whine for a phone. I worry because I see a new generation of enititlement and scare the beejeepers out of me.

Let me give you some unsolicited advice..I don't care what generation you are from, not paying attention to the group of people you are with or the task you are doing to text/play games/surf the web is RUDE. You are not so damn important that you need to txt in the damn grocery store and not wait until you are back in your car (before you drive!) I can assure you that if I was with my kids and they took out that damn phone when I was with them, I would hurl it in the nearest puddle or over a bridge. And these are grown, successful men (again not much older than you) who have lived on their own for years. You know what they would say? Sorry,Mom.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Hmmmm, what is the common theme here? All of these people are employed?

Txt, since I have been here, your whole life has centered around a damn phone and now you are bragging about how expensive it is? Are you kidding me? You don't even have enough money for a damn shirt for a WalMart job!!! This is what concerns me about kids and too much technology. Holy priorities!

I coud give a rats booty if grown adults sit around and play on their smartphones wherever they are. I really don't even care if kids do it so long as they are good kids/students and didn't whine for a phone. I worry because I see a new generation of enititlement and scare the beejeepers out of me.

Let me give you some unsolicited advice..I don't care what generation you are from, not paying attention to the group of people you are with or the task you are doing to text/play games/surf the web is RUDE. You are not so damn important that you need to txt in the damn grocery store and not wait until you are back in your car (before you drive!) I can assure you that if I was with my kids and they took out that damn phone when I was with them, I would hurl it in the nearest puddle or over a bridge. And these are grown, successful men (again not much older than you) who have lived on their own for years. You know what they would say? Sorry,Mom.
It was a birthday gift.
I got it a week early!
It was given so I could get out of T-Mobile so I could pay less. I am paying A LOT less.

And why is the grocery store a place that you shouldn't text, ITS A GROCERY STORE. Why would I wait till I got back out to the car? Its not a library, its not school, who cares?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,551 times
Quote:
I don't care what generation you are from, not paying attention to the group of people you are with or the task you are doing to text/play games/surf the web is RUDE.
But it *does* matter what generation one is from! If a person's group of friends is fine with them doing things on their phone when they're together, then it's NOT RUDE. It would be rude to do that in front of you, because you DO think it's rude. People know the difference in their groups of friends/family, or are willing to change their actions once you point it out to them. Not everyone thinks it's rude.

Quote:
You are not so damn important that you need to txt in the damn grocery store and not wait until you are back in your car (before you drive!) I can assure you that if I was with my kids and they took out that damn phone when I was with them, I would hurl it in the nearest puddle or over a bridge. And these are grown, successful men (again not much older than you) who have lived on their own for years. You know what they would say? Sorry,Mom.
And throwing their phone wouldn't be equally as rude, or worse? It's not a sense of importance that people have when they check texts or email in a grocery store line - it's something to do, rather than read National Enquirer headlines or make assumptions about the people in front of them based on the items in their cart.

If it bothers you if the people you are with are checking their phone - tell them. 9 times out of 10, they won't check it any more - and that 10th person will probably just need a reminder. It doesn't mean anything about that person that they do that - because it IS an acceptable practice, among some groups of people.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Folks, please keep this conversation civil and try to respect others' points of view. People are just going to disagree on some topics.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:32 PM

If I am at the grocery store, grocery shopping, and texting someone to make plans or just to have someone to talk to, who is that rude to? The groceries???

If I am not in anyone's way or holding up a line somewhere for not paying attention and I pay attention to the right people at the right time when there, what does it matter?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
You weren't raised with this stuff in your life.
If you grew up with it, you would feel a lot differently.
Oddly, my children have been raised with "this stuff". And manners.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
My son texts/checks facebook, etc. when he's hanging out with his friends. He does not when he's hanging out with his grandmother - even though I'm SURE it's infinitely more boring being with her. He's able to gauge his surroundings and company, and make appropriate decisions - and before he was able to do that, I was there to guide him.

You are not the one party that's "right" - you have your preference, which is that folks give you their undivided attention. Not everyone has that same preference.
I will agree that there are an amazing number of people who were raised badly, by parents who chose not to teach them basic manners or courtesy. Thankfully, they are in the minority. And if they choose to all band together, I suppose it's so much the better. Perhaps we could start a thread about restaurants and grocery stores banning people who are gadget addicts...?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I will agree that there are an amazing number of people who were raised badly, by parents who chose not to teach them basic manners or courtesy. Thankfully, they are in the minority. And if they choose to all band together, I suppose it's so much the better. Perhaps we could start a thread about restaurants and grocery stores banning people who are gadget addicts...?
I do have manners and courtesy.
I don't talk on the phone or text when I am talking to the cashier.
I don't text and drive.
I DO make phone calls while driving but alas my phone is sync'd to my car so I can make those calls over the speakers.
I don't text when in the movie theater.

But when I am out with my friends if I get a text, I will look at it and reply but I don't sit there with my face jammed in my phone.
Wandering the isles grocery shopping, fair game.
The wait in line before I get to the cashier, as long as I am not holding up the line, fair game.
In the car as long as I am not driving, fair game.

I know when and where.
Standing in line next in the grocery store while waiting on the cashier and my mom, AFTER I have loaded up the groceries onto the belt is fine with me. I wasn't ignoring anyone, I wasn't holding up the line, I was standing there next to the cart while the cashier rang **** up, and texted a friend and some crochety old dude decided to make a snide remark about how we all come to walmart to text. ***** please, I SENT ONE GOD DAMN TEXT WHILE IN LINE. ONE! And the whole world ended OH ****!

Some dude takes ONE second out of my whole time in the grocery store to judge me and he did at a moment where he could do so in some sick twisted way he could feel better about himself and hate on the youth of today all the same time.

And you know, my friend who got me the phone as a present has the same exact phone as me.
She and I both have angry birds on our phones, we both sat in my car each playing angry birds, discussing the complicated men in our lives....
Were we ignoring each other, no we were bonding.

Even if I don't play with my phone I fidget like a mother****er, which is more distracting than me playing with my phone, I always have to be doing SOMETHING. Whether is playing with the rips on my jeans or whatever, it has to be something, I can't sit still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting