Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 AM

271 posts, read 988,172 times

Advertisements

Actually, Beans, thanks for bringing that question up. When I explained to my DD how it would actually work, that more than likely, she would get nothing in return while the kid "on the top of the pyramid" would reap the rewards she wasn't intrested at all. Thank goodness my daughter had the sense to figure it out quickly. Hopefully, this is educational for her and in the future she won't be a victim to a huge scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 02:48 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
Actually, Beans, thanks for bringing that question up. When I explained to my DD how it would actually work, that more than likely, she would get nothing in return while the kid "on the top of the pyramid" would reap the rewards she wasn't intrested at all. Thank goodness my daughter had the sense to figure it out quickly. Hopefully, this is educational for her and in the future she won't be a victim to a huge scam.

How is it a scam? It isn't like the kid at the top is taking a cut of everybody elses' stickers. It is kids swapping stickers with other kids. What does she really stand to lose - a package of stickers and 7 stamps?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
this is a perfect opportunity to teach our kids how rip off happen, how there is no such thing as a free lunch and how "simple" things can turn out to be more. yes it is just stickers but to suck a kid into this kind of chain letter crap so early is disgusting.
Glad your daughter was able to reason it out for herself.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Please let me know if I am blowing this out of proportion or if I should let the Principal know before it gets way out of hand....Thoughts/Opinions????
Question #1) Yes

Question #2) No

This is where you get to be The Mom. And either say, "We don't do chain letters" or "How fabulous! Maybe we'll get some of the Princess ones that go for $8.00 a roll at Disneyworld!"

(If things would get so horrible and out of hand at school that you would need to involve the principal I'd say you've got more to worry about than just stickers and a chain letter.)

Old 08-28-2011, 03:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
How is it a scam? It isn't like the kid at the top is taking a cut of everybody elses' stickers. It is kids swapping stickers with other kids. What does she really stand to lose - a package of stickers and 7 stamps?
Yes, it's only a package of stickers, however, it is still a scam chain letter. The person who started the list will get several packages of stickers and the new kids will most likely get none.

Chain letters, btw, are illegal at least if they involve money.

Chain letters

Are Chain Letters Illegal? - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Quote:
The USPS states on their website, "Turn over any chain letter you receive that asks for money or other items of value to your local postmaster or nearest Postal Inspector. Write on the mailing envelope of the letter or in a separate transmittal letter, "I received this in the mail and believe it may be illegal."

Old 08-28-2011, 04:01 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
I vaguely recall doing some sort of funky sock exchange when I was in elementary school (this was in the late 70's)... it was fun, we all got a new pair of cool socks and no harm was done. The kids who didn't want to do it said "no can do" and that was that. The principal wasn't involved, nor were the authorities- I mean, the most we risked was not getting a pair of socks back. Not sure why it's such a big deal? Just say no if you don't want your daughter participating.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Everyone has to live through chain letters. It's kind of a throwback and each of my kids received something in the mail at some point or another, usually involving "good luck" and not stickers! I even remember getting one over 25 years ago that involved dish towels! HA HA!

Kids at school go through phases of collecting and trading stuff that is super important to them at the time. Stickers were a big thing for my daughter, for my son it was mechanical pencils...I have no idea why. Someone starts it and everyone jumps on board. It's part of the social dynamics. In the book Little Women, Amy needs to bring limes to school to give to her girl freinds, because they had given some to her, and it was important enough for her to borrow money from Meg to get them. That always stuck with me becasue I thought "nothing has changed".

Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, it's only a package of stickers, however, it is still a scam chain letter. The person who started the list will get several packages of stickers and the new kids will most likely get none.
A scam would require malicious intent by the original sender. Is everybody here so jaded that they think an 8 year old girl is a sticker scam artist? Assuming the pool of girls is large enough that they aren't all sending the letters to each other, no one stands a better chance at getting stickers than another.

Do we really not have enough in this world to legitimately get upset about that we need to worry about girls sending stickers to one another?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:16 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
At least its stickers. One time my son got a book in the mail. I was pissed. I was requested to send a book to the child that sent us one and another child so the madness could continue. So what I did was send a book back to the person that send us one and said politely to leave me out of it. Ya, Im a buzz kill but I didn't want to get caught up the crap.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
Quote:
Yes, while I understand everyone's perspective of "geesh, it's just stickers", I still find it a bit troubling that parents who allow their kids to participate are, in essence, teaching their kids how to scam their friends.
I don't see how this is a scam - it's a sticker exchange. I did the same thing with friends a few months ago, with emailed recipes. It was neat! I sent one recipe, and got 5 back.

Depending on the kid, this does sound positive and productive - and fun! Unless your kid doesn't care for stickers.

Explain the "scam" part to me. I'm not seeing it. Unless every kid participating was asked to send stickers to every previous person on the list, it's not any kind of ponzi or pyramid scheme. She sends one pack of stickers, and potentially gets six back. Cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting