Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
So sorry. Tenure should not be an excuse to keep educators that are not professional or ones that are there to just collect the paycheck and don't care anymore. I have heard too may stories of teachers with "tenure" skating by because it is virtually impossible to get rid of them. Why should our students suffer because a teacher has tenure? This is the 2nd year she has had a sub par teacher and to be honest my husband and I are considering pulling her from public education. That is not how it should be. And people wonder why there are Hight School students that can not read. Maybe it's because of the attitude of some teachers that just don't give a damn anymore but we can't get rid of them because of tenure. I'm not saying all teachers are this way, but we have had too many for my liking.
Quote:
I'm not union bashing, I'm stating fact. I have no problems with unions per se, but when it comes at the cost of our youth to keep a teacher that is not performing, then yes I have a problem.
I never said any of that, and I never said it was YOU union bashing. Read my post again. All I said is that being in a union doesn't mean there isn't disciplinary action that can be taken. If you are bothered, talk to the principal. jeez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
man, reading this makes me wonder why anyone goes into teaching

Old 08-31-2011, 10:19 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
I would love to be able to do this, but the school/district always says you can try and request, but they will not guarantee placement. Since we were moving from another state and my daughter had a bad experience with her previous 2 teachers I did write a short letter to the school outlining what type of teacher I thought would best fit, obviously they didn't even read the letter because my daughter got a new teacher to the school and one that doesn't seem to be able to control the talking in her class (teacher admited this to me a curriculum night)
So your daughter has had 3 bad teachers in a row?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Meh... my 7th grade math teacher used to call us discombobulated nuisances. In elementary, we were occasionally called brats. And parents would tell us to stop acting like brats and nuisances.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Not saying the teacher should actually be saying this out loud to the kids....of course, I'm sure none of them EVER hear such things at home.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My daughters high school history teacher told a boy he and several others were going to hell. I'm sure the kids were acting like they would but still...

Don't let it get to you. Without knowing context you can't even tell if this was said in jest or what. Kids need to learn to adapt to teachers, not visa verse. No one teacher can adapt to 25+ kids. You will learn something from every teacher. Having bad experiences with 3 teachers in a row now might be telling you something.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I don't think the teacher should have said that, but as long as she's doing her job of teaching,
I don't agree that one can be doing the job of teaching with an attitude like that since motivation and classroom management are a *significant part* of the job of teaching at this age.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Take a breath and write the teacher a note:

"I promise not to believe everything my child tells me about what goes on the classroom - as long as you promise not to believe everything he/she tells you about what goes on here at home."

Frequently, children misconstrue what the teacher actually says. And without context, it may be hard to understand exactly why the teacher says it.

One of my sons had a teacher who made an unreasonable demand that impacted our entire family. We took the complaint to the principal's office, with said teacher present, and the problem was solved.

In 62 aggregate years of "children in school", that was the only time we ever had a complaint about a teacher's methods. Many of them had quirks that we thought were strange, or better left outside the classroom, but the children learned that nobody's as perfect as their own Mom and Dad.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Talking in the classroom is very common at the beginning of the school year. Sounds like the teacher is overwhelmed, maybe you could ask if she needs any help in the classroom?
I already offered on cirriculum night. She said she wanted time to get to know her students and visa versa, so after the Labor Day holiday she would contact me.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't agree that one can be doing the job of teaching with an attitude like that since motivation and classroom management are a *significant part* of the job of teaching at this age.
My point exactly. How can she motivate her kids if she is telling them she doesn't even want to come to work?

I will wait and see how it goes the next couple of weeks. We always talk about her day at the dinner table, so I will wait and see if she says anything else.

Thank you all for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting