Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
How many know what specifically resulted in Nixon's near impeachment and resignation?
Almost forgot this one:

It was his involvement in the cover-up of the planning of the break-in. Ah, yes. The "unindicted co-conspirator." Who swore a lot.

Not only have I listened to long parts of the tapes. I've read every word of them that was published.

I actually owe Nixon a lot. I wrote something about him in college that was quite humorous. (But not very nice now that I look back on it.) Got me a certain ammount of attention after it was published. And I didn't even call him "Tricky Dick". Amazing but true. (Some people called what I wrote a "public service". Does that count?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 02:35 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'm a Millenial and listen to Boomer music. Why? It's fun, and I like it. Geez. Plus, as I said in another thread music used to really reflect society. Fifties music just made you want to get up and dance, sixties music tended to be really happy at the beginning and slowly switch, seventies music was druggie and anti-war music. I'd rather listen to that than what's popular these days. Oh, the Boomers I know would know the things on your list.
And disco. And folk-rock. And, God help us all, the seventies brought us Starland Vocal Band and "Afternoon Delight". My graduating class had no real identifying sound. Or maybe we did, and we can't remember it...

Old 09-04-2011, 11:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's Stokey Carmichael, not Stokeley.
No, it is Stokely. Here's his bio:

Stokely Carmichael : Biography

Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Crisis - This is an era in which America’s institutional life is destroyed and rebuilt in response to a perceived threat to the nation’s survival. Civic authority revives, cultural expression redirects towards community purpose, and people begin to locate themselves as members of a larger group. Fourth Turnings have all been new “founding moments” in America’s history, moments that redefined the national identity. Our last Crisis was the Great Depression and WW2, we are now entering another Crisis age with its beginning marked as the current "Great Recession." The GI Generation (born 1914-1928) came of age during this time. Their confidence, optimism and collective outlook defined the mood of the era. Today's Millenial Generation (born 1982-2000) share many of these same attributes.

Hero generations (dominant) are born after an Awakening, during a time of individual pragmatism, self-reliance, and laissez faire. Heroes grow up as increasingly protected post-Awakening children, come of age as team-oriented young optimists during a Crisis, emerge as energetic, overly-confident midlifers, and age into politically powerful elders attacked by another Awakening. Due to this location in history, such generations tend to be remembered for their collective military triumphs in young adulthood and their political achievements as elders. Their main societal contributions are in the area of community, affluence, and technology. The current Heroes are the GI Generation (born 1914-1928) and the Millenials (born 1982-2000).
During one of my marathon internet sessions yesterday, in which I went down a variety of rabbit trails so to speak, I came across a Salon article that piqued my interest given this discussion. The article was entitled "Why I Can't Stop Reading Mormon Housewife Blogs" and documents their rising popularity among agnostic, feminist, young American women. These blogs are not the angst-ridden mommy blogs of my X-er peers. These women are happily married, stay-at-home mothers who spend their days in a tight-knit community of family and friends, and seem genuinely happy with their roles.

Quote:
There's been a lot of talk in recent years about "the New Domesticity" -- an increasing interest in old-fashioned, traditionally female tasks like sewing, crafts and jam making. Some pundits see this as a sign that young women yearn to return to some kind of 1950s Ozzie and Harriet existence, that feminism has "failed," that women are realizing they can't have it all, after all. That view is utterly nonsense, in my opinion, but I do think women of my generation are looking to the past in an effort to create fulfilling, happy domestic lives, since the modern world doesn't offer much of a road map.
Has anybody else noticed that the "New Nonfiction" shelves at their local libraries are filled with gardening, canning, simple living, and self-sufficiency books? Perhaps it's a sign of the latest turning!

Quote:
Our parents -- divorced, stressed-out baby boomers -- are hardly paragons of domestic bliss. Nor are the Gen X "Mommy War" soldiers, busy winging snowballs of judgment at each other from across the Internet. (Formula is poison! Baby wearing is child abuse!)
Gee, where have I seen that before?

Anyway, this "mommy war" X-er has been known to frequent the Mormon lifestyle blogs for a lift (and a great cupcake recipe) when embroiled in yet another conflict with my Baby-boomer mother, who does not understand my choice to leave my career behind, happily I might add, for hearth and home AT ALL.

Another poignant quote I encountered during my surfing came from Cheryl Seelhoff, a controversial former member of the Quiverfull movement, who had this interesting insight about homemaking (paraphrased from a secondary source)...

Quote:
Some women are drawn to the homemaking lifestyle and feminism does not afford enough support for women who are drawn to this type of pursuit, which it should.
I think this might very well be changing as the current Hero generation hits its stride.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go and knead the bread rising on my kitchen counter and pick the ripe tomatoes and zucchini in my garden for tonight's dinner.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-05-2011 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Has anybody else noticed that the "New Nonfiction" shelves at their local libraries are filled with gardening, canning, simple living, and self-sufficiency books? Perhaps it's a sign of the latest turning!
Actually, I think this trend is because of two other factors.

One is the economy. People are trying to become more self-sufficient to avoid rising prices.

The other is the growing number of people who believe that very soon the world (as we know it) is going to end and only the ones who have their own gardens, are self-sufficient and have emergency plans in place will survive.

I don't think it has anything to do with the generational theory. I do agree though that many more in the x-er generation are yearning for the simple lifestyle. That may have more to do with the fact that it is becoming harder and harder to have a simple lifestyle or for someone to be a SAHM. When options are taken away, people want those options even more.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Actually, I think this trend is because of two other factors.

One is the economy. People are trying to become more self-sufficient to avoid rising prices.

The other is the growing number of people who believe that very soon the world (as we know it) is going to end and only the ones who have their own gardens, are self-sufficient and have emergency plans in place will survive.

I don't think it has anything to do with the generational theory. I do agree though that many more in the x-er generation are yearning for the simple lifestyle. That may have more to do with the fact that it is becoming harder and harder to have a simple lifestyle or for someone to be a SAHM. When options are taken away, people want those options even more.
The degraded economy is a big part of the crisis in which these children are maturing, which drives their priorities, and it is exactly what should be expected at this point in history. I believe the home-making/self-sufficiency trend relates very strongly to Strauss & Howe's theory of generational turnings.

What's interesting is watching how the generations are responding to the crisis. For example, consider the Nomads and the Heroes. The X-ers (Nomads) are remaining true to their independent natures by planning to retreat to their cabins in the woods, while the Millenials (Heroes) are more interested in community building. Check out any self-sufficiency discussion group to see the contrast. It's fascinating.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-05-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Homelanders are growing up in a time when people are pre-occupied with Crisis and become overprotective. Let my kid ride their bike 3 blocks away, are you NUTS, they may get kidnapped. I now let Johnny go to the playground now that he has all that new padding we bought him and we put LoJack in his brain.
Obviously, I'm a little late to the party, but this has to be one of the funniest things I've read here at C-D lately. I am a Gen X-er, but I just cannot wrap my head around my peers' need to monitor their kids incessantly using all manner of technology.

In fifth grade, the kids at our local elementary go off on a week-long outdoor education trip in the mountains. It is very clearly stated and repeated frequently in the weeks leading up to the trip that cell phones are forbidden. Nonetheless, many of my child's friends were encouraged to hide GPS-enabled phones in their duffel bags and admonished to have them on their bodies at all times during the trip. When I gently suggested to an acquaintance that perhaps the surveillance was unnecessary and that the teachers and chaperones could be trusted, she looked at me like I was crazy!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:41 AM

I'm a little leery about calling the Millenials "Heroes".

Are we all assuming they are going to be heroic simply because of the generation they were born into? As far as I'm concerned the term "hero" is something that is earned. Not given to a generation yet to prove itself.

Yes. I realise this goes to the very heart of the discussion and the Strauss-Howe theory, lol. I wish we had some of the previous Heroes (a designation well-earned IMO) here to give their thoughts. That would be interesting.

Maybe that's very Boomerish of me?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-05-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM

As the crisis years pass, the millennial generation will mature into positions of leadership. I think their optimism and community-orientation will indeed position them to be perceived as the heroes who guide us into a new era of peace and prosperity. Personally, I think it will be a nice change of pace from the Prophets' angst and the Nomads' rigidity.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
As the crisis years pass, the millennial generation will mature into positions of leadership. I think their optimism and community-orientation will indeed position them to be perceived as the heroes who guide us into a new era of peace and prosperity. Personally, I think it will be a nice change of pace from the Prophets' angst ...
Well, I would look forward to that.

Prophets have angst?

I thought we had that wonderful sense of entitlement instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting