Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Following the example of a prior poster I asked my 5 kids and my wife this question. Unfortunately they split 2 said it is a great name, 2 said terrible and two were undecided.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:10 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Were you the only kid that was picked on? Kids with common names were not bothered? This is not my experience.

If you want your kids to be immune from bullies, home school them. that will work until they get into the business world.
It doesn't matter if other kids were picked on. I was. And it wasn't nice. Others had allegedly "regular" hindu names in a country with a hindu religious majority, whereas it was the common habit to give christian names to dogs and other pets, intended to demean the British.

But whatever the theory, I was at the receiving end until I took matters into my own hands

And it's not about homeschooling them. If such a regular name which happens to be a derivative of one of the Apostles can become a funny colloquial equivalent of cowdung, then imagine the plight of H U C K, which rhymes with the most infamous English word. A responsible parent would think of such stuff and pick a safer name, and not pay unnecessary tribute to Mark Twain at a kid's expense.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times
Huckleberry the fckin' fairy. It's a cutsey name that's really easy to make fun of, which doesn't make it a very good fit for a kid or an adult.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
I have a very unusual first name, that had family meaning for my parents. Never had pencils or stickers with my name on them. Aside from the fact that people I just meet usually mispronounce it I have had no issues. I never got teased about my name, and I named my own daughter an uncommon name as well. Her name is Chloe, because her father and I met at a concert at college while the song Chloe Dancers was being played and because it translates so well to Hawaiian (she is 1/4 hawaiian) Kaloe. In her school of 1700 other students there are literally no other Chloes though it has apparently become quite popular for the under 10 set.

I know that my daughter loves the reason I picked her name and that it has more meaning than that I liked the way it sounded in the baby book. I asked my now late teenage daughter and she suggest an amalgam of what was already suggested, name him Huckleberry Finn Lastname. That way if he does not like his first name, or even huck, he can go by finn.

But if the name has significant meaning for you or your husband, I would go with that name, but if it is just for the sake of the sound of the name, maybe go with something a little more conventional.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
it translates so well to Hawaiian (she is 1/4 hawaiian) Kaloe.
I'd have kept the Hawaiian spelling.

(And I like katsu chicken and fried baloney in my plate lunch, thank you very much. Or should I say mahalo. We have more in common than you probably think.)

Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
Give the child a chance, don't name him after the daddy, and pick a decent name for him.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Maybe Chuck or Charlie and as a nickname leave the C off and just call him Huck. I love the name Charlie. There's just something sweet and cool about it.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I love the name Charlie. There's just something sweet and cool about it.
I actually knew a Charlie Brown, HH. At the height of the Peanuts craze. He wasn't thrilled, poor guy.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-16-2011 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 07:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It doesn't matter if other kids were picked on. I was. And it wasn't nice. Others had allegedly "regular" hindu names in a country with a hindu religious majority, whereas it was the common habit to give christian names to dogs and other pets, intended to demean the British.

But whatever the theory, I was at the receiving end until I took matters into my own hands

And it's not about homeschooling them. If such a regular name which happens to be a derivative of one of the Apostles can become a funny colloquial equivalent of cowdung, then imagine the plight of H U C K, which rhymes with the most infamous English word. A responsible parent would think of such stuff and pick a safer name, and not pay unnecessary tribute to Mark Twain at a kid's expense.
My point is that kids do not get picked exclusively on because of their name. Their name may become the focus of harassment, but if the same person had a boring name, they would still get picked on. Even boring named kids get picked on about their name. Don becomes Don-bat, Donb (made to sound like dumb), Donk, Dork, you name it. Todd becomes Turd. Larry becomes Hairy or fairy. It is not the name that causes the harassment, it is the bully.

If you want to prevent your kids name from ever becoming the target of a bully, then you need to name them "_____________"

Fred has some nasty rhymes, so do Mary, Jane, Sue. . . .

There are a few names that do not rhyme with anything, but how many kids can we name Orange?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I rather like the name Huck; I like short--almost terse--and alliterative names for men. Sam Stone. Nick Nolte. They sound like reporters. John Jones. Huck Harris.

However, for a little boy, I think the teasing would be pretty bad. Huckleberry Finn Lastname would be really bad. I knew a Christopher Robin Lastname. His mom called him Christopher Robin all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting