Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times

Advertisements

I have boy/ girl twins turning 4 and a girl turning two within ten days of eachother. The older girl is already lobbing for a "big birthday party with a princess cake", several months before her birthday. So far, we've only done small parties at home with family but I guess it is time I venture into the exciting world of kiddie birthday parties

All three go to playschool two mornings a week and the twins have made friends there, so I kind of feel I would need to invite their classes (they go to separate classes- 12 kids in each class, plus 6 kids in the younger daughter's class). Add to that a few siblings, neighbours and cousins, and we are easily looking at 35 kids plus parents. My problem is that their birthdays fall in the middle of winter, so an outdoor garden/ park party is out. We have a reasonably sized house but not big enough for some 60+ parents and kids. So I am thinking probably a catered party in a Little Gym, Gymboree or similar- expensive, but considering I am effectively getting "3 for 1" doable once every couple of years. We've been invited to a couple of those in the past but there are usually around 10 kids, I am not sure how well it'd run with 30? Or am I unrealistic thinking most kids will come, will I end up with 15 rsvps only? Any other suggestion for birthday parties with a large group of young kids? We don;t attend church, so I cannot just rent a church hall and a couple of teenagers to do balloon animals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
What about Pump It Up or a similar "bounce house" party? Those are expensive but may be comparable to what you already have in mind. Those typically have several big things to play on, like one or two giant slides, an obstacle course, basketball bounce, etc. I've been to a few and it's an insane amount of noise, but not really any different than 20 - 30 kids on a playground at recess. The kids run around for an hour or so, and then you adjourn for pizza and cake in another room.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
We have twins (now older). We wanted to have a party for them at 3. At this age, the party is as much or more for the adults than for the kids. We planned to have some games and things for the kids in the house and front yard, and set up a couple of tables a barbque and beer/wine for the adults in the back yard. Anyway when we typically had parties 1/4 to 1/3 of the people we invited would show up.

We thought that 10-20 would be a good number, so we invited roughly 50 people. 62 showed up. Our house and yard was cram packed and we ran out of food soda and beer instantly. Luckily there was a party store nearby. A couple of neighbors went home and cleaned out their fridges. It worked out, but it was a big surprise. Kid parties seems to generate more turnout than adult parties.

BTW. As they grow, avoid chucky cheese birthday parties. They are awful for everyone and the birthday kid usually ends up crying or throwing a tantrum. It is guaranteed overstimulation and often guaranteed bad behaviour due to the whole "prize" thing for tickets. Adults have a miserable time too. It is crowded, smelly and too noise to talk. Then that have a giant rat walking around that tends to terrify kids and adults alike.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
geez, what ever happened to simple Birthday parties for kids, not these big elaborate functions.
no wonder the kids are so spoiled and demanding when they get older......

just sayin,.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:57 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
geez, what ever happened to simple Birthday parties for kids, not these big elaborate functions.
no wonder the kids are so spoiled and demanding when they get older......

just sayin,.
A birthday party is not elaborate just because there are a lot of people there. You can have an elaborate party for 10 people or a simple party for 50 people. It's not the number of people that make a party elaborate.

Kids parties at party places tend to be pretty simple. The kids show up, play at whatever the activity is, eat pizza/cake, and then leave. It's not all that elaborate.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
A birthday party is not elaborate just because there are a lot of people there. You can have an elaborate party for 10 people or a simple party for 50 people. It's not the number of people that make a party elaborate.
Thank you for saying this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Kids parties at party places tend to be pretty simple. The kids show up, play at whatever the activity is, eat pizza/cake, and then leave. It's not all that elaborate.
I always thought party places were the simple way to go. It saved me from having to clean up a mess afterwards!

I always admired the mothers who had the imagination, energy, and time to do the at home birthday parties. Good for them.

Can't understand why some mothers feel the need to put down the way other mothers prefer to throw birthday parties.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Can't understand why some mothers feel the need to put down the way other mothers prefer to throw birthday parties.
It goes way past birthday parties:

I don't need to put someone down for:

Breastfeeding/or not
Pacifiers/or not
Video games/or not
TV/or not
Cellphone/or not
Cosleeping/or not

Seriously, does anyone think a child is ruined for life because of their parents' decisions on these mundane issues?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
I have a friend who has 6 kids. Regardless of when their actual birthdays fall, she has ONE birthday party per year for all of them together. She makes it a big day and does things like renting a bounce house and other pretty big stuff. She has the kids stagger their guests, so all the guests are not there at one time. The first wave of guests comes for the first kid and he gets celebrated, then his guests leave and the next set comes for the next kid and he gets celebrated. It lasts all day and is crazy, but she only has to do it once per year!

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe the time stagger thing would work for you, so that each kid can have their own party/guests, but all on the same day. That way you don't have to have so many people all at once, and each kid can feel like they had their special time.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
BTW. As they grow, avoid chucky cheese birthday parties. They are awful for everyone and the birthday kid usually ends up crying or throwing a tantrum. It is guaranteed overstimulation and often guaranteed bad behaviour due to the whole "prize" thing for tickets. Adults have a miserable time too. It is crowded, smelly and too noise to talk. Then that have a giant rat walking around that tends to terrify kids and adults alike.
Chuck E. Cheese is on par with Toys R Us at Christmastime. Hell on earth.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Chuck E. Cheese is on par with Toys R Us at Christmastime. Hell on earth.
Agreed. Pump it up, or MyGym are better choices for the kids AND the parents at that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting