Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Millions every day? Really?
What you don't think it's in the millions, seriously? Hmm, well maybe I am exaggerating a little with a million every day just in this Country. But I'd say Millions have gone missing over the years when one missing is more than enough.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 10-29-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
I think a leash would be more practical and cheaper.
i use a leash when it makes sense, like in a busy mall. but a gps would be a good supplement and would give me the peace of mind to possibly give the daughter a little more freedom. i know when i was home in nj and had my wife and mother in law go to disney with my daughter, i would have been happy if she had the gps on her.

as far as cost is concerned, my entire house could burn to the ground and all my investments could bottom out and it still wouldnt hurt me as much as losing my daughter (and my dog and cat could die in the house fire). so spending $200 or so bucks on a device and $20 a month isnt going to bother me.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post

Maybe it's time to have all newborns micro chipped from birth. Have it downloaded to a police, FBI, missing persons site/computer or whatever and use their Social Security Number to locate the exact micro chip that belongs to them when trying to locate a child/infant that has gone missing. Had this been implanted in Jahessye Shockley, and baby Lisa they wouldn't be missing. Caylee Anthony might have been found sooner had this been done for her. I say go even further and make the chip capable of triggering an alarm to the authorities if, God I hate to say it, if a pulse is not present to indicate child is in emergency medical need.
I really can't think of many things more frightening than the government chipping and tracking people. I'm not one for slippery slopes arguments, but that particular slope is so slippery it ends in Gattaca country.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
My research involves using the most accurate GPS devices available for mapping purposes, so I know a little bit about GPS. If you live in a city, or even a suburb with a few tall buildings, a GPS enabled device for finding a child is going to be next to useless.

A clear skyline is necessary for accuracy anywhere in the 10m range. For example, even being in a car makes it impossible to triangulate (with at least 4 satellites) let alone inside a building or worse yet a basement. I think having a gps attached to your child would just give a false sense of security.

Also, the analogy to lo-jack is not appropriate primarily because it is not GPS but rather a radio signal but also because cars are rarely inside an area like a large building (garages tend to be rather open in their construction).

And microchips do not have GPS in them. They are passive receivers not transmitters.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i use a leash when it makes sense, like in a busy mall. but a gps would be a good supplement and would give me the peace of mind to possibly give the daughter a little more freedom. i know when i was home in nj and had my wife and mother in law go to disney with my daughter, i would have been happy if she had the gps on her.

as far as cost is concerned, my entire house could burn to the ground and all my investments could bottom out and it still wouldnt hurt me as much as losing my daughter (and my dog and cat could die in the house fire). so spending $200 or so bucks on a device and $20 a month isnt going to bother me.
A gps that gives you accuracy to less than 10 meters is going to cost around 8k. Additionally, it would not work indoors or particularly well at Disney World.

Finally, the idea of kidnappings occurring at Disney or any theme park is apparently an urban myth.

snopes.com: Kidnapped Child Rumor

Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I really can't think of many things more frightening than the government chipping and tracking people. I'm not one for slippery slopes arguments, but that particular slope is so slippery it ends in Gattaca country.
*sigh* I don't like the thought of it either. I can't help but think it's going to happen sooner or later anyway. The way I see it is that the Government already does track us now anyway, adults I mean, just not with an implanted GPS. I think it doesn't do any harm when it comes to the Government tracking children until at least age 16 then at that age I would have it removed. There are too many demented predators out there lurking, waiting to catch the most vulnerable child they can get. It's horrible to have to think of it but it is necessary to. Gattaca sounds familiar I'll have to Google it.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:38 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
Quote:
*sigh* I don't like the thought of it either. I can't help but think it's going to happen sooner or later anyway. The way I see it is that the Government already does track us now anyway, adults I mean, just not with an implanted GPS. I think it doesn't do any harm when it comes to the Government tracking children until at least age 16 then at that age I would have it removed. There are too many demented predators out there lurking, waiting to catch the most vulnerable child they can get. It's horrible to have to think of it but it is necessary to. Gattaca sounds familiar I'll have to Google it.

Expect, as has been repeated many times, violent crime against children continues to fall, and the vast majority of kidnapping cases are by people known to the children, typically family members.

And this is another danger of GPS by it in anklet form or implant- it teaches children that privacy and government surveillance is worth giving up for safety- even when the danger is miniscule.

It isn't going to happen sooner or later unless we let it.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
The vast majority of people who harm children are related to them.

The idea of the demented stranger is a dangerous one because that make you less likely to notice when your child is being harmed, by someone you know.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Expect, as has been repeated many times, violent crime against children continues to fall, and the vast majority of kidnapping cases are by people known to the children, typically family members.

And this is another danger of GPS by it in anklet form or implant- it teaches children that privacy and government surveillance is worth giving up for safety- even when the danger is miniscule.

It isn't going to happen sooner or later unless we let it.
That's just it I don't consider it miniscule. To me one child is more than enough reason to have the option to use it. Who says the kid has to know. I mean at such a young age parents already know every move they make or at least they should. So what if Law Enforcement can see where your child is? I doubt the kid would care especially when they are young enough to believe Santa knows everything they do. I doubt a child would think anything of it until they reach their teens or maybe tweens. The only privacy a child should expect would be when getting dressed, bathroom and other personal reasons and that depends on the age. Even if it's a Family member at least the child can be found with the implant but I wouldn't tell anyone they have it. To me it would be better to have some way of having some hope to find them when/if they go missing.

The Government already has ways of knowing even without the GPS just not at the exact moment.

I am against this when it comes to using it on adults except the mentally ill who may wander, putting themselves in harms way, other than that I see no reason to use it on adults or older kids.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The vast majority of people who harm children are related to them.

The idea of the demented stranger is a dangerous one because that make you less likely to notice when your child is being harmed, by someone you know.
And when they go missing regardless of who took them at least the GPS can help to find. It's hope and an attempt to at least find them, find where they are even if it's too late and they have already been murdered. It might also help track there whereabouts before missing and that might help find who they were last with. There's no guarantee but it's worth it to try and do everything to keep them safe or at least be able to find them instead of being tortured with not knowing were they are, are they still alive, are they safe, who has them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting