Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times

Advertisements

It seems like every time I turn around I hear about another child with a serious peanut (or other) allergy problem.

I hear about classrooms and schools that ban peanuts and other products from the premises.

Where did all of these come from?

In my childhood (70s/80s) I don't recall knowing or even hearing of a single child with a peanut allergy. When I talk to people in my age group or older, they also report the same thing.

Its something that puzzles me.

Does anyone know what has caused this change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
No hard science that I have seen. But some speculate insufficient exercise of the autoimmune system brought on by vaccines, over use of hand washing and antimicrobial soaps. In the absence of something real for the autoimmune system to do, it overcompensates and makes stuff up. Metaphorically speaking.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:26 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
It seems like every time I turn around I hear about another child with a serious peanut (or other) allergy problem.

I hear about classrooms and schools that ban peanuts and other products from the premises.

Where did all of these come from?

In my childhood (70s/80s) I don't recall knowing or even hearing of a single child with a peanut allergy. When I talk to people in my age group or older, they also report the same thing.

Its something that puzzles me.

Does anyone know what has caused this change?
I said the same thing about 10 yrs ago. We must be the same age because I don't ever recall knowing anyone with a peanut allergy, in the 70's/80's. Every kid I knew ate PB & J sandwiches at lunch with abandon. When my son started school 10 yrs ago, I volunteered and was shocked to find so many kids with peanut allergies. I then found myself asking parents before play dates if their child had any allergies I should be aware. I don't recall my mother ever concerning herself with anything like that when I was a kid. IMO, I think something has changed. Maybe a chemical that is used now that wasn't used before. I also running into people that have children who are allergic to Gluten. Honestly, never even anything about Gluten intolerance until a few yrs ago.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:47 PM

812 posts, read 1,908,040 times
Not sure about the peanut allergies and their prevalance but a lot of the things may be on the "rise" because now we know what causes them. People probably had stomache aches and pains from gluten but never knew what was triggering the problem. But I tend to agree with the over obsessive antibacterial stuff cannot help! If you live in a bubble and aren't exposed as much the body finds ways to keep itself entertained it seems. There are more and more idiopathic diseases that seems to pop up.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
I agree about the gluten, people were probably having stomach issues for many years not realizing what it was from. Then it was identified so now it seems more common. Kind of like autisim, it seems like it's becoming more and more prevelent but I think it's just a case of the spectrum becoming wider and wider. I can remember a few kids I grew up with that looking back they probably had some mild form of autisim but it wasn't being diagnosed as such back then.

However, the peanut thing is just bizarre! I've thought the same thing as the OP many times, all of sudden everyone is allergic to this staple of my childhood?? The odd thing is most peanut allergies are severe, not like a little dairy allergy where an ice cream will give you gas and the runs, some of these kid are suffering (excuse me while I butcher the spelling of this word) anaphalactic shock from ingesting and even SMELLING peanuts?!!? What gives? In school when I was little if you forgot your lunch or your lunch money you had to go to the side window and they'd give you a PB&J sandwich, it had soooo much peanut butter in it that everyone hated eating them because your mouth would just stick together. EVERYONE forgot their lunch and ate one at some point and I never heard of a single kid getting sick.

It really baffles me...

Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Peanuts

Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
some think it is related to th amount od vitamin D early in life. This, I feel, is part of the super clean, anti-germ life we have evolved into. Because so many feel that cow's milk is sooo awful (my remarks are not geared to breastfeeding mothers... momma's milk is always best for babies) and now every kid who gets cranky from regular formula, they are switched to soy or lactose free or whatever kind of new formula and the babies aren't exposed to the more complex protiens until they have grown out of the 'insert food brand" toddler foods and given real table foods. By this time, their bodies have become accustomed to simple proties and bland flavors and processed foods. When we grew up (70's) there was enfamil and pet milk if a baby wasn't breast fed. Our bodies learned at a very young age to process complex protiens and we didn't shock put bodies with pb&j sandwiches.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,078 times
I'm pretty sure I was told not to give my baby peanut butter until she was 1 or 2 or something (which I can understand is more of a choking hazard), but we definitely gave her a taste now and then, at least after she was one, if not before. Only enough so she could taste. And of course we had our concerns of allergies so we kept an eye on her.
At one point I read something that we're so concerned about this that people are waiting til children are older until they have anything nutty and that made it more likely to be allergic! It made me a little happy to have let her have tastes so soon.

I agree that everywhere I turn someone is allergic to something new. Peoples comments here made sense to me - the germ free lifestyle of today and vaccines. Even the Vit D mention.

I've wondered to myself in the past if it has anything to do with less people breastfeeding. I've heard so many bad things about formula. And not to say there aren't situations where formula is necessary, but I think some people choose formula for the wrong reason these days (ie laziness, scared to even try breastfeeding, etc.)

Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No hard science that I have seen. But some speculate insufficient exercise of the autoimmune system brought on by vaccines, over use of hand washing and antimicrobial soaps. In the absence of something real for the autoimmune system to do, it overcompensates and makes stuff up. Metaphorically speaking.
Google the Hygiene Hypothesis.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Nobody knows what is causing the increase in allergies. There are tons of theories. I personally think that genetically modified foods might play a role, along with all of the chemicals and toxins that we are exposed to in our foods and everyday lives. Who knows though. It could be any number of different factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting