Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
They don't make them because of the potential health and safety issues. Here is a link that explains it pretty well.
Slow Cookers - Slow Cookers and Delayed Start Timers
Wow. Thanks for posting that. It never occurred to me about the whole bacteria thing. Thankfully I never got sick! Last winter, I was using one of those lamp timer things on the pot I have now but they are a pain to set properly.

I'm going to go with a programmable one. Now the search begins. It's amazing how diverse the reviews are on Amazon for these cookers.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Random question alert:

Does anyone have a programmable crock pot? I have one that's not programmable now and figured I'd buy one with a timer so I can set it to turn on a few hours after I leave for work and turn off in the late afternoon.

Lo and behold, someone posted on Amazon that there is no slow cooker that allows you to have it turn on at some later time. You can only turn it on and choose how many hours you want it to be on before it goes into warming mode.

Is that true? Thanks for any insight.
Think of all the bacteria that would grow before the crock pot starts cooking.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Think of all the bacteria that would grow before the crock pot starts cooking.
That was pretty well covered in the link that was posted.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for posting that. It never occurred to me about the whole bacteria thing. Thankfully I never got sick! Last winter, I was using one of those lamp timer things on the pot I have now but they are a pain to set properly.
You're lucky! We rarely hear of people getting sick from food poisoning but I have a friend who has been on disability for 15 years because she gave herself food poisoning via her own soup or stew. When she got sick from it, she thought she had a virus, the flu, and kept reheating the poisonous soup. By the time she ended up in the emergency room, the infection had done permanent damage many of her body organs. It's a miracle she's alive today but her quality is life is very poor. She is always sick and in the hospital multiple times a year for all sorts of things, many of which the doctors can't cure, just treat the symptoms, keep her alive and as comfortable as possible.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're lucky! We rarely hear of people getting sick from food poisoning but I have a friend who has been on disability for 15 years because she gave herself food poisoning via her own soup or stew. When she got sick from it, she thought she had a virus, the flu, and kept reheating the poisonous soup. By the time she ended up in the emergency room, the infection had done permanent damage many of her body organs. It's a miracle she's alive today but her quality is life is very poor. She is always sick and in the hospital multiple times a year for all sorts of things, many of which the doctors can't cure, just treat the symptoms, keep her alive and as comfortable as possible.
Most of the stuff that I put in the crock last season was near frozen. I had it set to turn on 2 hours after I left so I'm thinking that's what saved me. Had it been defrosted meat sitting in there for two hours, I bet I wouldn't have been as lucky. I'm definitely thanking my lucky stars.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
That was pretty well covered in the link that was posted.
I didn't see a link was posted.

In the middle of typing my response, I was distracted by life and walked away from the computer for a while.

When I returned, I hit the "submit reply" button. Never saw Nummy's post. Sorry about that.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:50 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Ghost stories at boy scout camp + overtiredness = mamma's gonna have a crowded bed

Old 09-25-2011, 06:53 PM

LMAO! I hated being in the middle of the bed. If they came in the middle of the night, I'd just slide over. But if we started out the evening with a guest, I preferred them to sleep in the middle. Makes me overly hot in the middle. I should have had a king size bed when my children were little.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
gosh, 8 pages since I was last here! Busy, busy weekend.

My 8 year old has lost 3 jackets in the last 4 days. Not kidding. They aren't all actually currently lost, thanks to me. He left one on the playground on Thursday, which i went to the school, fished out of the lost and found, washed, gave back to him to wear to soccer on Saturday, and which he left at the soccer field. Today both kids left their jackets at the remote mountain spot where we spent the afternoon. Those 2 are gone. The first one I hope to get back. So, we decided to have them earn money with chores to buy new jackets. Them doing chores is more work for me than just doing the work myself.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM

My son left jackets and hoodies at school all the time. When he would run out, I'd meet him after school to clear out his locker. One time there was 12 in total. We left with huge lawn garbage bags full. How they all fit in his locker is a mystery. Oh, and don't get me started about thermal lunch bags and what we found inside of those! Scary stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting